14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 8:00 AM by MrJoshameeGibbs

HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9

MrJoshameeGibbs

Okay, so I have a question and I need to an answer as soon as possible, please...

I had problems with exporting in full screen as explained on this thread : Why isn't my Adobe Premiere Elements 9 video full screen?

Thanks to A.T. Romano, I now know about a special .mp4 export setting that fits perfectly my .MTS videos, but I deseperatly need one that fits my .VOB videos too. Can anyone help me here?

The thing is I just noticed that when I export the project with the .mp4 settings that I had, the .MTS videos are perfect bu the .VOB videos are a bit weird, probably because they have 29 frame/s.

Is there some .mp4 advanced export settings that would work for both my .MTS videos and my .VOB videos ?

• 1. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not clear how your MP4 video is being used in your DVD production. What do you mean by " I deseperatly need one that fits my .VOB videos"?

What exactly are you trying to do?

• 2. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9
            MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

I have two types of full screen HD videos in my project, but I chose the wrong project settings, so they're not full screen. But, as mentioned on the other thread, it finally worked by exporting my project with the advanced .mp4 settings, which made it full HD, then by taking the exported film and making it full screen in another Adobe Premiere project with the good settings. But, the advanced export settings I was given only work for my .MTS files, which are 59 frames/s, but my .VOB files, which are 29 frames/s looked weird in the final product. So, I'd like to have an advanced .mp4 (or anything else that'll make it HD) export setting that would work for both my .MTS files and my .VOB files.

Here is A.T. Romano's original answer:

When you are ready to export your Timeline content, we are going to try the H.264.mp4 export.

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple iPod and iPhone - High Quality

and then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, set the advanced export settings as you see in the following screenshot

ab.JPG

If you need any other infos on the files, they are on the original thread, or I can give them to you.

Thank you,

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 3. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a feeling you are going about this the wrong way.

You have shot HD footage and you have old dvd (vob) footage, yes?

this vob footage is this 4;3 or widescreen?

What is your end product going to be: dvd in 4;3 or widescreen? Youtube or ....?

• 4. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what to tell you, Joshamee. This seems like such a convoluted solution to your initial problem.

I'm with Ann. Rather than add one more layer to this complicated workflow, it might be wisest to step back to the beginning and re-evaluate it all.

What is the format and resolution of the original video? What model of camcorder did it come from?

What are you trying to get at the end? It kind of looks like you want to create both a BluRay and a DVD version of the same movie.

I get the feeling that, despite setting up your project right in the beginning, you went ahead and edited your movie, and now you'd rather put a bandaid on things than start all over again. Is that the case?

• 5. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Even if many hours were put in this project I would start over with the correct settings. I know but trust me at some point we have all been there...

Starting with the wrong setting and trying to fix this as you go along is not the way to go.

Adding more to this already messed up project you will probably end up with a big disappointing dvd or whatever you are trying to make.

You can make a screendump of your timeline for references.

• 6. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                    MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

I get what you mean, but I can't start all over again, it would take me over a year (the project is 3 hours long and I don't have as much free-time as I had back when I started).

The reason I asked my question without explaining much is that I thought my problem was almost solved. I'll try to explain it better, but it may still be unclear... my first language is french.

When I first started to shoot this movie, which is 4 four years ago, I was using a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD508, recording on little DVDs. Here's all the information about those 16:9 .VOB files:

Capture.PNG

At some point I got tired of the little DVDs with which I had many problems, so I bought a new camera: a Panasonic HC-V700M HD. The video files are in 16:9 .MTS format and here's all their informations:

Capture2.PNG

When I first created the project, I chose 4:3 settings instead of 16:9 or widescreen (according to what A.T. Romano understood of my situation). I didn't really know what I was doing back then. So when I export my movie, this is what I get:

Capture3.PNG

I have two problems: it's not full screen, and the quality is mediocre with all the exports I tried. On the initial thread, A.T. Romano discussed the issue with me and one of the idea was : "As a desperate move, I am wondering if we could take the 16:9 export (which presents with black borders) into a Premiere Elements project set for NTSC DV Widescreen. Then scale the Timeline video just to fill that space in the Edit mode monitor. Then export with a 16:9 export choice. This may look a little zoomed in, but it might be a way to salvage what you have."

Now, I knew it would look bad because of all the quality I lose when I tried to export, but I decided to try with the H.264.mp4 I had been given earlier in the thread (and the one I mentioned in my last answer). Here is a screenshot of the advances settings of the export:

ab.JPG

To my surprise, that very export is perfect for my .MTS videos: there is no quality loss. I tested it, and the idea of taking the exported movie and then scaling it to make it full screen in a new project with the right settings works perfectly. Sadly, the H.264.mp4 export settings don't fit my .VOB files, because they are 29 frames/s instead of 59 frames/s. The exported videos look weird when there is movements in the shoot.

So my first reaction was to change the Frame Rate from 59.94 to 29, but when I tried to play the exported movie, it was impossible, like if the file was broken (I tried that a couple times). Now, I don't know much about all these things, so I thought that I was very close to a solution and that I just needed the right advanced settings, so that my exported movie looks perfect. To sum it up, you can tell me if that's it and what would be the changes to make on the settings, or if you have any idea of another HD export settings that would work, or any other solution.

Oh and I forgot to mention what I want as a final product, because you asked. I'm thinking of uploading it to YouTube and making a DVD, but the most important thing is really just to have a file I can read on my computer, because then I can make something out of it.

I thank the both of you for helping me, if you have any other questions or if something I said is unclear (which is very possible), please tell me and I'll do my best to explain it.

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 7. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Cannot make any sense of the export settings show above.

OK few things I need to know.

What are your project settings of your original project (preferably a screendump)

Is all the dvd footage 4:3 or widescreen or is it a mix?

Which kind of footage do you have the most in your project? SD or HD (in percentage)?

Can you upload a small dvd clip and a small HD clip to e.g. dropbox?

• 8. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                        MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

When you say dvd clip, what are you reffering to? The clips that come from the Sony Handycam mini-DVDs? And when you say HD clips that's for the clips that come from the Panasonic camera?

Anyway, none of the footage is 4:3, it's all 16:9.

Assuming the SD footage is the mini-DVDs footage (I thought it was HD...) and the HD is the rest, then it's probably 55% HD.

The rest of what you asked is coming, I'll have to create myself a dropbox account.

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 9. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9

No your dvd footage (vob) is SD, see your own screendump for the properties, but those properties dont tell you if its 4:3 or widescreen.

Ok you can use Wetranfer.

Send the files to yourself and post the download link you will get via email here on the forum.

Do you have a screendump of your project settings?

• 10. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                            MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

Ok, but yeah, all of my videos are 16:9 (or widescreen? I don't know the difference, but you'll see with the clips).

Here are the settings:

Capture4.PNG

A .MTS video clip : Dropbox - 00016.MTS

A .VOB video clip Dropbox - VTS_02_1 (2).vob

And don't know why but the quality seems less good on Dropbox...

And I'm sorry if the .VOB clip is short, but the others are like 15 minutes long because it's the way the mini-DVDs are made, they put all the clips one after each other.

• 11. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9

This vob is it an original you sent me?

If so it quite odd.

720x480 resolution which is NTSC and a framerate of 25 which is PAL and its progressive

Elements interprets this clip as widescreen but its not, its 4:3.

(even vlc and wmp interpretes the clip wrong)

Never found that the faces looked a bit squashed?

Has this clip been converted somehow?

Elements can handle this footage even after its been interpreted by PE correctly.

The HD footage (the trees) you can scale up to make it fit but you will loose the sides

(Make sure the Scale to Frame Size for those clips is off).

interprete.png

expert view 4-3.png

• 12. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

I have no idea how come the .VOB file is like that, but I can assure you it's the only one. It's no even a part of my movie, I just used it here because it's not too long, but here's a normal one, which is defenitly 16:9.

Dropbox - VTS_01_2 (7).VOB

So both of them (vob and mts) are 16:9, there's no 4:3.

Do you have any idea of an export setting that would give a good HD (or something close) result for both of them?

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 13. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9

With all do respect but that is kind of foolish sending me a clip you are not even using.

I am doing this on my free time. Figuring out how to help you.

Export to HD is out of the question as the project is NTSC DV standard which is SD in 4;3

(If you want HD you need to start over)

Your export options for now are ntsc dvd (disk) or mp4 ntsc dv standard for computer.

Elements interprets the vob nr 7 as 4;3 so it needs to be interpreted to ntsc widecreen in the Project Assets window.

interprete 1.png

• 14. Re: HD Export for .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                    MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

I'm really sorry I made you loose your time...

So I'm just going to try to find the best export settings I can by playing with the advanced settings options.

The H.264.mp4 advanced settings export was very close to HD (at least it looked like a very good quality, as good as the original files) but it didn't work with the vob clips, sadly.

Thank you very much for your help!

MrJoshameeGibbs