7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 10:48 PM by johns72771375

How do I export a photo from lightroom but keep the original date that it was taken?

stephanies61106249 Level 1

I have tried practically everything!  The way I organize my photos requires me to be able to keep the ORIGINAL date taken and to be able to view them in the "finder" folder in mac in chronological order.  Which means that all of my Christmas pictures need to be dated December 25th.  I DO NOT want them to be dated February 3 (or whenever I export the edited ones into their permanent folder for my backup).  I can't believe that there is absolutely no way to do this!  I feel like I've looked everywhere for suggestions.  I don't want suggestions on how to organize my photos a different way, or how to rename all of my photos so they will be ordered by the date- is there ANY WAY to export it and keep the date that it was originally taken?  It seems that it's keeping all of the other data attached, like exposure and aperture, just not the date, which is ironically the ONE thing I want!  I understand that when you export it, it creates a new file, so the file will have the current date as the original.  I just can't believe there's not a way around this somehow.  It's hard for me to understand that in order to edit with lightroom, you have to lose that small (but very important!) piece of data once you export.

• 1. Re: How do I export a photo from lightroom but keep the original date that it was taken?
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The file creation date and the image capture date are two different things.

On the original image file they just happen to be the same.

The original capture date and time are in your exported JPG with all the other data. However, the date of creation on the new file is the new time, as one would expect.

Check with Finder to see if it has the ability to look at the EXIF data for its sorting and displaying. Windows Explorer can do this.

Worst case scenario, you could download the program ExifTool and use it to set the file modification date to be the image capture date, then you could have Finder sort on the file modification date.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I export a photo from lightroom but keep the original date that it was taken?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What Joe said.

But also unless you are using 2 cameras all the time the images files no matter what the "FILE" creation date/time is and no matter what the "Capture" date/time is should be sorted by the File Name and the File Name should be in chronological order, 2 coming after 1 and 3 coming after 2.

I suggest you stop renaming your images with some other file name other than what the camera gave it, as they will be in the order they were shot in, or at least leave the original file name at the start of your Renaming process.

Not sure if there is an option in Finder to display the Capture time and then Sort images by that Capture time. In Windows there is.

If you are using 2 cameras, different models or the same model, you have to set the Date and Time to be exactly the same (or within a second or two of each other) then Capture time sorting will show all images as they were taken.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I export a photo from lightroom but keep the original date that it was taken?

I think the problem may actually be the fact that the finder window in a

Mac will not display that extra data. I ended up opening one of the

exported photos with Adobe bridge and the "capture date" was correct with

the original date.   Sorting by name won't work.  These are all just family

pictures, and we've taken quite a few with our iPhone which are

chronologically scattered throughout the ones taken with our good camera- I

don't rename any of my files.  With the ExifTool, is it a program I can

download from the internet and use it to fix all the dates?  Any idea?

Thank you for helping out!

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 4, 2016, at 2:50 AM, Shootistbond007 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: How do I export a photo from lightroom but keep the original date that it was taken?

Also, If I import an image, edit it, and then export that image to a

different folder, it is ALSO changing the capture date on the ORIGINAL file

that I imported- is that normal?  Do I have a setting checked that I

shouldn't?

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Stephanie Saunders <

• 5. Re: How do I export a photo from lightroom but keep the original date that it was taken?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

stephanies61106249 wrote:

Also, If I import an image, edit it, and then export that image to a

different folder, it is ALSO changing the capture date on the ORIGINAL file

that I imported- is that normal?  Do I have a setting checked that I

shouldn't?

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Stephanie Saunders <

On my system the actual Capture Date and Time are never changed. I do not think there is any option in LR to change the Actual, Real, Capture Time (Date Time Original, Date Time Digitized as displayed in LR) on export to any format. There is a menu option to change, Edit, capture time but that has to be specifically selected and then the Date and Time has to be altered.

So you are not looking at the actual Capture date/time.

• 6. Re: How do I export a photo from lightroom but keep the original date that it was taken?
                    robgendreau Level 3

A normal, modern image file has lots of dates associated with it.

There are filesystem dates, like creation date, modification date, date added, last opened, and some more. The Mac creates these.

There are exif dates, usually created by the camera, with dates like "date/time created" and "date/time digitized."

There are IPTC dates, like "date created" (usually the same as one of the exif dates) and "date (or object/artwork," like a photo of a painting.

These dates have different purposes, and are sorted, filtered and or viewed differently by different pieces of software. The filesystem dates can get changed in many ways, completely unrelated to the image itself. Eg Lr will change the filesystem "date created" when writing info to certain JPGs. Filesystem dates are therefore poor choices for storing the info about the IMAGE; they are for the FILE itself. Remember: you've got exports of the same image, copies of the same image, etc and you want the image to have ONE date created. That's what exif and IPTC metadata was created for.

Here's a smattering of the types from exiftool as an example:

[File]          File Modification Date/Time    : 2015:12:23 14:30:25-08:00

[File]          File Access Date/Time          : 2016:02:05 12:54:31-08:00

[File]          File Inode Change Date/Time    : 2015:12:23 14:30:25-08:00

[EXIF]          Modify Date                    : 2015:12:23 14:30:25

[EXIF]          Date/Time Original              : 2015:12:22 13:37:30

[EXIF]          Create Date                    : 2015:12:22 13:37:30

[MakerNotes]    Date                            : 2015:12:22

[MakerNotes]    Time                            : 13:37:30

[IPTC]          Date Created                    : 2015:12:22

[IPTC]          Time Created                    : 13:37:30-08:00

That's all one image. And to make matters worse, some applications will call those dates by somewhat different names.

Unfortunately, the Mac Finder doesn't really understand photos and metadata. It only understands the filesystem dates. And exiftool can't access the one you wanna change. It's a Mac filesystem thing.

Most people work around this issue by renaming photos in a sequence. Camera dates can be off, or you wanna use a custom sequence, or whatever. So you use something to sort the images by exif capture date/time, and then apply a filename change to lock in the sequence. Lr does this easily. And yes, that means you may have to change the way you work. Sorry; I want things to bend to my will as well but life's not like that Perhaps there's a workaround if we knew a bit more about your workflow.

And once you've exported an image it should have the same EXIF and IPTC "capture" date. Sometimes scanned images don't for boringly technical reasons; a screenshot of the metadata panel would help.

• 7. Re: How do I export a photo from lightroom but keep the original date that it was taken?
                      johns72771375 Level 1

I was experiencing the same issue as you were. I came to this forum to find a solution with no luck. After looking around in Lightroom I was able to find an easy solution.

After you import your files to Lightroom, adjust the way they are sorted. The default setting is to sort them by added order. Just change it to capture time.

It's simple and is saving me a ton of time.

Find the View tab, click on Sort, click on Capture Time.