1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 8:11 AM by rob day

Question about glyph scaling and letter spacing

Dimitri van der Werf Level 1

I am working on a book with justified text, in which I – according to Robert Bringhurst’s Elements of Typographic Style – allow for + and -  3% letterspacing and + and - 2% glyph scaling. I am aware that is a controversial among typographers, but the results are not so bad and is safes a lot of time.

However if Indesign needs extra compensation to keep the word spaces in a sentence within boundaries – the lines that are marked in yellow – the program allows a larger amount of letter spacing and glyph scaling than is asked for, sometimes with hideous results.

Is there a setting  in Indesign to make sure that the program never increases the letter spacing and glyph scaling, but if needed only increases the word spacing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Question about glyph scaling and letter spacing
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the program allows a larger amount of letter spacing and glyph scaling than is asked for, sometimes with hideous results.

Is there a setting  in Indesign to make sure that the program never increases the letter spacing and glyph scaling,

You can use the Max setting for Word, Letter, and Glyph Scaling to minimize increases—I don't think there's anyway to completely prevent H&J Violations. Obviously your Hyphenation setting will also affect the number of violations—turn off hyphenation and something has to give. A lot depends on your tolerance for hyphens.

Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 10.57.41 AM.png