20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 9:35 PM by BKBK

REreplace[NoCase](): string only?  Or can a function be the replacement?

WolfShade Level 4

Hello, all,

According to Adobe documentation, REreplace() (ergo, REreplaceNoCase(), too) requires three arguments: the target string; the regex match; and the value to replace that match with.  The docs also state that the third argument is a string.  Nothing is mentioned of using a function for the third argument.

But in JavaScript (ex: str.replace(x,y)), while the prefix str is the target string, the two arguments that go inside the parenthesis are the regex or substring match, and the replacement - which can be either a string, or a function.

The reason I bring this to attention is because in the past I have needed (and now would like) to write something that will convert HTML entities into the character said entity is supposed to represent.  But I have had no success by using just a string as the replacement.

For example:  Say I have a string, such as "This is a test&#59; this is only a test."  (Yeah, I know, VERY basic.)  Well, I don't always know that what I need to replace will be &#59;.  It could be &#XXXX;, for all I know.  But I do know that (at least most if not all the time) &#59; in CF is chr(59).

So I tried several variations of:

REreplaceNoCase( str, '&##(\d);', '#chr(\1)#', 'all' )  <!--- and more, but I'm kind of tired, so I'm only giving one example --->

None worked.  Then (today) it occurred to me - a function might be able to do it.  But the docs indicate that only a string can be the replacement for REreplace[NoCase]().

Frustrating.

Okay.. now I'm not sure where I'm going with this, coz it really isn't a question.  But I guess that I'm wondering if Adobe has any plans to update REreplace() so that a function can be used as the replacement.  Or, if anyone knows of an alternative.

V/r,

^_^