6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 1:35 PM by john beardsworth

How do i copy preferences and plug-ins to a new catalog?

bradleyduncan

I am using LR 5 and am starting a new catalog (I do this for each calendar year because I have 100's of thousands of images each year).  My question is how do I copy everything, (preferences, plug-ins, etc.) except the photos, to a new catalog so I don't have to set it all up again?  thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: How do i copy preferences and plug-ins to a new catalog?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

By default, presets, templates, external editors, and plugins are shared among all catalogs on a computer, as are the settings stored in LR's Preferences.  So your new catalog will automatically get those.

The settings stored in LR's Catalog Settings are specific to each catalog, so you'll have to recreate those.  There's not many -- just take screenshots of the three tabs and duplicate them in the new catalog.

Smart collections are stored in the catalog, unfortunately.  You can transfer their definitions to a new catalog by right-clicking each collection in the source catalog and doing Export Smart Collection Settings. In the destination catalog, right-click any collection and do Import Smart Collection Settings.  You have to do this one by one, so if (like a few people) you have dozens of smart collections to transfer, it will be tedious.

You'll have to recreate each of the Publish Services you're using in the new catalog.

Another approach is to make a copy of your current catalog folder. Open the copy in LR, select all the photos, and do Photo > Remove Photo.  Be sure to select Remove and not Delete From Disk.  Now you have an empty catalog with all the settings of the original.  Personally, given that your catalog has hundreds of thousands of photos, I'd prefer creating a new one from scratch.  Decades of experience has taught me that document, databases, file systems, etc. generally acquire detritus over the years and over many software versions, and starting fresh can clean it all out.  I haven't seen any specific reports about LR catalogs to that end, but...

• 2. Re: How do i copy preferences and plug-ins to a new catalog?
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

One trick: select 1 image in a catalog with all the presets and other items you want. Export as Catalog. Then on the other catalog, use an Import as Catalog. Everything should transfer over and you can delete the one image you Exported/Imported if you wish. Also, Store Presets with Catalog preference is recommended.

• 3. Re: How do i copy preferences and plug-ins to a new catalog?
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

One answer might be to create a new catalog,

Copy and paste the Presets folder from your Master catalog to the new catalog.

Identity Plates and Watermarks will be missing along with some other items,  but you now have the basics of a 'copy' catalog.

If you watch this video you will get many suggestions for creating a "Template" catalog, if you ignore the references to "remote laptop".

Lightroom Tutorials by Julieanne Kost

Search the page for  "How to use Lightroom 5 on Location"

• 4. Re: How do i copy preferences and plug-ins to a new catalog?
                select 1 image in a catalog with all the presets and other items you want. Export as Catalog.

Export As Catalog will transfer smart-collection definitions, but it doesn't transfer publish services.

• 5. Re: How do i copy preferences and plug-ins to a new catalog?

create a new catalog, Copy and paste the Presets folder from your Master catalog to the new catalog.

To clarify, that's only required if the Preferences > Presets > Store Presets With This Catalog is checked.

• 6. Re: How do i copy preferences and plug-ins to a new catalog?
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Then make a copy of last year's catalogue and remove all photos from it.

Update: Do this while the computer isn't online, just in case removing photos from the catalogue triggers something in the published service.