5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 7:37 AM by Szalam

Bugs & Glitches. Why? How are they fixed?

shaneybobs
      1. If you RAM preview anything it plays continuously until you hit the key you started the preview with. Which is really irritating esp. if your animating to audio. Is there a way around this, is it possible to have it as it was?
      2. You CAN’T render MP4 WMV etc. off the AE timeline. You have to use AME which is slow, glitchy and unreliable. Sometimes takes ages or just crashes when linking to AE
      3. It has to be purged constantly. Why? Previous versions hardly needed this.
      4. The last version CC2015 would only render to one single folder on my entire drive (had to get Adobe to fix this). This is now fixed but it happened again for about 2 hours a while back.
      5. Doesn’t remember recent changes. And neglects to render them. This happened about 30 mins ago. Rendered a layer that was being used as a track matte.
      6. AME remembers the last version you rendered and will only render that version despite the fact that you changed the project and saved it 2 hours ago
      7. AME frequently renders without audio, even though it’s there
      8. AME Will render a comp with a black background even though it’s set to white or any other colour if there’s no solid at the bottom of the comp.
      9. Audio ceases to work after a time. This is really frustrating when animating to a soundtrack.

Does anyone out there have these problems and how can they be fixed if at all. I can't go back to previous versions because all my purchased plug ins won't work. All in all not very impressed with AE/AME CC2015!

• 1. Re: Bugs & Glitches. Why? How are they fixed?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

shaneybobs wrote:

If you RAM preview anything it plays continuously until you hit the key you started the preview with. Which is really irritating esp. if your animating to audio. Is there a way around this, is it possible to have it as it was?

There are a ton of ways to customize previews in CC 2015. This page explains: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015

shaneybobs wrote:

You CAN’T render MP4 WMV etc. off the AE timeline. You have to use AME which is slow, glitchy and unreliable. Sometimes takes ages or just crashes when linking to AE

I render out of AE's render queue and then use the Adobe Media Encoder to create my deliverable. You could even set up a watch folder so that second step happens automatically. After Effects' h.264 and WMV encoding was buggy and didn't even have two-pass encoding. It sucked. I understand why they removed it. (I also understand why some people want it back.)

shaneybobs wrote:

It has to be purged constantly. Why? Previous versions hardly needed this.

What is your exact version number of AE? Most of the purging issues were fixed in 13.6.1 and 13.7

Now, I can tell you why 13.5 had problems with it. CC 2015 is the start of a new underlying code for AE. The team at Adobe is trying to rebuild AE from the ground up to be a proper, modern, multithreaded piece of software. This first step involves separating the UI and the renderer. There were problems in the first iteration (13.5) where they were a bit too separate. If you're running 13.7 and still experiencing issues like this, we'll need to know more.

shaneybobs wrote:

The last version CC2015 would only render to one single folder on my entire drive (had to get Adobe to fix this). This is now fixed but it happened again for about 2 hours a while back.

That sounds odd. How did Adobe fix it?

shaneybobs wrote:

Doesn’t remember recent changes. And neglects to render them. This happened about 30 mins ago. Rendered a layer that was being used as a track matte.

Similar to the caching problems, this type of issue was fixed in the recent updates. I haven't heard of anyone having problems like this once they updated.

shaneybobs wrote:

AME frequently renders without audio, even though it’s there

This can be avoided if you use my process of rendering through AE's render queue first. Also, if you render with AE, you can use AE CC 2014 (which has multiprocessing) and it may render things much faster (depending on your computer's specs and the contents of your comp, of course). If you don't have CC 2014, you can get it. Here's how: How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

That being said, AME should render audio and if you want to fix this issue, we can troubleshoot.

shaneybobs wrote:

AME Will render a comp with a black background even though it’s set to white or any other colour if there’s no solid at the bottom of the comp.

This happens with AE too. That's because the comp background is never intended to be rendered. Without a solid or a shape layer or SOMETHING there, AE views it as transparency. It's nothing. It's not black, it's not a color, it's nothing. If you render to a format that supports an alpha channel, when you bring that shot back into AE or Premiere Pro or Final Cut or whatever, you will have transparency there. If a codec doesn't support alpha or you play it back in a Media Player, it will show as black.

shaneybobs wrote:

Audio ceases to work after a time. This is really frustrating when animating to a soundtrack.

That's not an issue I'm familiar with. Again, if you are running AE version 13.7, we would need a lot more information in order to troubleshoot it.

• 2. Re: Bugs & Glitches. Why? How are they fixed?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One of your complaints is just user error.

If you send a comp to the AME the media encoder creates a copy of that comp in a temporary folder that is used to render the video. If you go back to AE and make changes and send it to the Adobe Media Encoder again the changes will show up but if you just duplicate the first comp in AME it will render the original comp and you will not see the changes. This is carefully explained in the documentation. There is also a video tutorial somewhere on Adobe TV that shows how to use the encoder and explains the use of the temporary file.

When you delete the comp from the AME the temporary files are erased.

• 3. Re: Bugs & Glitches. Why? How are they fixed?
              shaneybobs Level 1

Thanks Rick. Thought it might be something like that. S

• 4. Re: Bugs & Glitches. Why? How are they fixed?
                shaneybobs Level 1

Hi Szalam. Thanks for the advice. I upgraded to 13.7 and it seems to be running a bit better.

• 5. Re: Bugs & Glitches. Why? How are they fixed?
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

shaneybobs wrote:

Hi Szalam. Thanks for the advice. I upgraded to 13.7 and it seems to be running a bit better.

No problem. I'm glad things are working better for you.