6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 3:15 AM by claired53190245

InDesign shortcut vanishes!

claired53190245

I have been using InDesign all day, but for some reason my short cut keys are not usable now e.g. duplicate, step and repeat, place into place. I'm a not great at trouble-shooting so simple language would be very much appreciated.... Can any body help me?

• 1. Re: InDesign shortcut vanishes!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Version? OS?

My bet is you're using a Mac and the Cmd key is being hijacked by the OS or another program, and I suspect if you reboot they'll work again for a time, until you launch the program that's taking them over.

• 2. Re: InDesign shortcut vanishes!
            claired53190245 Level 1

Thank you Peter. I am using CC5 and Yosemite operating system.

I believe you may be right. I relaunched my computer, opened InDesign and all went well until I needed to use Photoshop, then this problem occurred.

Would you know how to how I can get back so I can keep several applications open without this problem occurring?

• 3. Re: InDesign shortcut vanishes!
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I suspect it's actually your browser, but I'm not really a Mac guy at this point and don't keep up with all the latest nuances. Maybe Steve, who's handled a lot of similar questions, will pick up for us.

• 4. Re: InDesign shortcut vanishes!
                claired53190245 Level 1

Hopefully Steve will come back to me with a solution as it is proving to be a little annoying as you can imagine.

I appreciate you help Peter, thank you.

Steve.... help!

• 5. Re: InDesign shortcut vanishes!
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've never heard of Photoshop grabbing keystrokes from InDesign on a Mac so I think it's something else.

I'd first look through your Mac OS keyboard shortcuts: System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts. All three shortcuts you mentioned use both Cmd + Option. See if you see system shortcuts that use that combination.

Do you have any browser extensions installed? Or startup applications (go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items) that might be called out with keystrokes?

Good luck.

• 6. Re: InDesign shortcut vanishes!
                    claired53190245 Level 1

Thank you for your help Steve.

I have gone through the shortcuts preferences yet again this time and I noticed a couple of warning signs, so I bravely reset the default and the signs vanished.

Result? So far so good.

I just don't understand why this happened mid-way through a project as it's never happened before, but.... that's the past and we move forward

So thank you once again for your advice Steve.