• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Plug In Failure - Exclamation Mark

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting "plug in failure" and a big exclamation mark when watching videos online.

I have tried un-installing and installing flash player several times but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I have a mac OS X Yosemite - version 10.10.5

Safari version 9.0.3

Under the flash system preferences it says " NPAPI plug in version 20.0.0.286 in installed" if that makes a difference.

I do not know much about computers and would really appreciate help

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Are you using the debugger version of Flash Player?  You can check by right-clicking on the content.  If you see "Show Redraw Regions" in the list, you're using the debugger.

If that's the case, you should switch back to the release player.  Not sure if it will make the OOM problem go away, but it will perform much better, and you won't see all the error message that the ActionScript content is throwing.

You'll have to uninstall, then reinstall the release build.

Uninstall Flash Player - Mac:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please go to below page and click on check now button:

Adobe - Flash Player

Please share the Flash player version you are using.

Also mention any particular Flash URL for which this issue occurs with steps to reproduce the issue so that we can look into it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says I have 20.0.0.286 installed which according the the cart iis the appropriate version for mac OS X and safari.

It seems to happen on all sites that use flash player (especially videos) not just one particular site .

It seems to be occurring more often the last few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please log a bug in our bugbase https://bugbase.adobe.com/

and share steps to reproduce the issue.

Please share the bug number.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the bug number:

Bug 4114671

I appreciate your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please upgrade your Flash player and see if the issue is fixed.

Download Adobe Flash Player 21 Beta for Desktops - Adobe Labs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2016 Feb 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded and uninstalled the old version and installed the new one and debugged but it seems to be happening.

I downloaded the flash player for safari plug in NPAPI but couldn't find PPAPI for mac and safari (which is the only browser that I use).

Do not know if that has something to do with it.

I tried the stand alone but  it wouldn't open .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exclamation icon is Flash Player's Out of Memory (OOM) icon.

What you're describing sounds like a behavior that we're familiar with.  A lot of commercial video broadcaster provide video streams, but they do so incorrectly.  They insert commercials into the stream, but then never free them, so Flash Player can't remove them from memory.  The commercials continue to build up, and after a couple episodes, the we hit the system's memory limit for the process and when we can neither free or allocate more memory, we show the OOM icon.

We provide good documentation on how to do this correctly, as well as provide some outreach to major video publishers, but haven't been able to generate a lot of interest on the part of content providers in fixing this.  From our place in the equation, the only changes we can make affect every single piece of Flash content on the web, and while we could do something like placing a hard limit on the number of video objects that could be inserted, that would surely break other legitimate, well-behaving content.

We continue to look at options for dealing with this pathological use-case, but I don't anticipate any major changes in the near future.  You might experiment with different browsers (Chrome/Firefox), but my guess is that you're going to get similar behavior from all of them in this regard.  In the instance of Chrome, it will show a crashed plug-in instead of the OOM icon, but the behavior is the same.  Chrome just has a different mechanism for handling the OOM condition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation. Its a bummer there is nothing that can be done about it but I am glad its not just an issue with my computer. I appreciate you looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This keeps popping up:

error_converted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the debugger version of Flash Player?  You can check by right-clicking on the content.  If you see "Show Redraw Regions" in the list, you're using the debugger.

If that's the case, you should switch back to the release player.  Not sure if it will make the OOM problem go away, but it will perform much better, and you won't see all the error message that the ActionScript content is throwing.

You'll have to uninstall, then reinstall the release build.

Uninstall Flash Player - Mac:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Download the installer from here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much! It has been working so much better and having less problems since I un installed and reinstalled it.

Once again thank you for you help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines