4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 6:57 AM by dj_paige

Please explain what is Lightroom?

lxstuart Level 1

I currently use Photoshop Elements 9, and I am thinking of upgrading but I'm not sure if I should go with Lightroom rather than Elements.

From what I understand, Lightroom is like having a better version of the organizer from Elements, with a better version of Adobe Camera Raw rolled in.

Is this an accurate description?

• 1. Re: Please explain what is Lightroom?
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom does have a superior organizer (in my opinion) than PSE, but that alone doesn't make you more or better organized, you have to actually use the organizing tools in Lightroom to improve your organization.

Lightroom does have more features in Camera Raw than Elements.

Lightroom is a total workflow solution; it provides tools for importing your photos, organizing, editing and distributing the results. Unlike Elements, it should not be used as a stand-alone editor.

• 2. Re: Please explain what is Lightroom?
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi lxstuart,

Lightroom is an advanced workflow management software with tools for non-destructive mass image editing, publishing and printing. Mainly targeted at professional photographers, also have better Image editing and organisation capabilities.

Please refer Photoshop Elements Vs Lightroom: Making the right choice!

See the basic difference here Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements

Regards,

Akash

• 3. Re: Please explain what is Lightroom?
              lxstuart Level 1

All of my images are raw files, and 90% of what I do is in Adobe Camera Raw, the rest is achievable in Photoshop Elements.

I do usually work on one photo at a time though.

Do you think I would benefit from getting Lightroom over Elements 14 (or staying with Elements 9)?

• 4. Re: Please explain what is Lightroom?
                dj_paige Level 9

lxstuart wrote:

All of my images are raw files, and 90% of what I do is in Adobe Camera Raw, the rest is achievable in Photoshop Elements.

I do usually work on one photo at a time though.

Do you think I would benefit from getting Lightroom over Elements 14 (or staying with Elements 9)?

I can't possibly answer this. I don't know what would benefit you. However, you can try the 30-day free trial of Lightroom and find out for yourself if it will help you.