10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 5:43 AM by Steve Grisetti

Volume problem with Premier elements when recording

leifh25970429

I have problem when recording, narration that the recording volume is very low. The microphone gives perfect sound on all other applications. Seems it does not happen all the time, but most of the time. I am using a desk cam for the rerecording and my monitor is a TV and volume is cut off when recording

Do not know how to trouble shoot and change any settings. The set up in premiere has the right setting with the camera

Leif

• 1. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording
          InnerArtist

I have a similar problem.  My mic tested well in other programs like Skype, but in Elements Premiere 14 it's hardly audible at all. Still, there is faint sound so that you know it *is* connected and recording.  I've tried changing all settings possible with the exception of the one that Premiere will not let me select: ASIO for generic USB Device, which is found under Preferences > Audio Hardware. But I doubt that would make any difference anyway.  I'm using Windows 10, and Windows insists I have all drivers necessary and fully updated. The BlueMic site says no additional drivers are necessary.   When I search online, this problem is very common problem for Premiere but without a single good answer.  Adjustments like "mic sensitivity" don't make any difference whatsoever.  Someone else had success by moving the narration clip to another audio track.  However, that did not make a difference for me.  Sigh. 

• 2. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Without having that exact microphone to do my own tests and experiments, I'm not sure what to recommend. Sorry.

But, from what you say, it is unique to that microphone -- so a general solution probably won't work in your case.

• 3. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording
              InnerArtist Level 1

Nope, it's not mic specific.  I was using a Blue Ice Snowball.  But because I also wondered if it was the mic, I went to Best Buy today and bought another mic at more than three times the cost -- this time a "Blue Yeti" -- to test the theory.  The Yeti was even worse.  I searched and attempted multiple fixes before returning the Yeti this same day.  So far, it's looking like something to do with the interface of Premiere 14 and Windows 10.  Some people resolved the problem by returning to a Windows 8 or even 7 machine.  The interface may (as I am concluding from various searches) also have something to do with drivers and problems communicating with Premiere.  I deleted all sound drivers and reconnected devices to force a reinstall of Windows drivers. The new drivers installed, but that didn't solve the problem either.  The mic manufacturer insists no special drivers are needed because it's all plug-n-play.  Still, since the mics work in other programs it puts the focus back on Premiere - or at least the way Premiere 14 and Windows 10 interact with each other.

• 4. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording

You don't need special drivers because it is plug-and-play USB. You just need to configure it correctly.

With the mike plugged in, go to the Sound controls in the Windows Control panel. Under the Recording tab, ensure that your USB microphone is selected. Click the Properties button on this panel and, in Microphone Properties, go to the Levels tab and make sure your microphone levels are set at 100%,

Then, in Premiere Elements, go to the Preferences and, on the Audio Hardware page, click Settings. Make sure this microphone is selected/enabled under the Input tab.

That should do it.That's what makes my USB mike loud and clear.

If not, you've got issues unique to your microphone. Which you shouldn't have, since your microphone is a good quality condenser mike.

• 5. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording
                  InnerArtist Level 1

I have followed the instructions you give.  Windows setting already had Blue Snowball listed and checked.  But in Premiere, under Preferences and Audio Hardware, I don't think I see the mic at all, or am I misinterpreting how the mic is identified in that window?  See photo.  PremiereSettings01.JPG

And, wait a minute...  Grisetti?!  I think I *just* realized who is helping me here.  Most of what I know about Premiere I learned from you!  Thanks!!!

• 6. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording
                    InnerArtist Level 1

Never mind!  That was output!  Got it now. For the sake of clarity should I delete the previous post?

• 7. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording
                      InnerArtist Level 1

OK, Steve, so I do have the settings exactly as you describe above.  (Forgive the mistaken screen snip).  Blue Snowball was/is check-marked as Input. I just did a test, and the volume is still as faint as ever, and I suspect I did have these settings correctly before, too. My other option for testing is an external Logitech webcam which has a mic listed as an option for Input in the Premiere settings.  The volume on that tested just fine (though the quality of sound is crappy because it's an old webcam that was never intended for recording).  I realize that this puts the problem back on the Snowball mic itself, but it doesn't explain why the Blue Snowball works well in other programs but not in Premiere.  I'm baffled, but thank you so much for your help. 

• 8. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording

I'm baffled too. There is nothing in Premiere Elements that would diminish the audio level of your microphone.

At least assuming that, on the Narration panel, the audio is full and peaking at zero.

• 9. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording
                          InnerArtist Level 1

Peaking at zero on the Narration Panel?   I see no numbering on the Narration Panel, but during recording the scale never moves higher than a third of the distance to the right - again, no matter my settings.  The Sensitivity Slider just below that bar makes no difference at all, as though it clearly isn't even connected to, or responding to, anything, so I leave it in the middle.  In the Mixer Panel, the voice volume never goes higher than -30, or occasionally on some sounds -18, again regardless of settings. I do feel as though I'm finding solutions to other people's descriptions.  For example, the people who had a successful volume change by simply moving the sound file to another track may have not realized that they had different settings in the mixer for different tracks.  But I've set everything to be equal across the board.  If it's not in Premiere specifically, and I believe you know the program inside and out, I must assume it's still a Windows 10 issue, or somehow an issue with my machine/soundcard communicating with Premiere. I can't imagine any other variables since the mic has volume in other programs. I even reinstalled Premiere and tested.  Thanks anyway for your willingness to look for solutions.  I've had my teeth into this for a few days now, but I probably need to give it a rest. PremiereSettings03.JPG 

• 10. Re: Volume problem with Premier elements when recording

You do want that Mic Sensitivity to be full but not peaking in the red. (It changes color as it gets louder.) You can increase its sensitivity to moving the slider under the VU to the right.

During playback, the VU levels should peak at zero.