4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 7:00 AM by patrickm62450444

import trouble in Lr5

patrickm62450444

When importing (add) folders from my hard disk into Lr 5.6 catalog it seems to recognise al the pics, listing the number and total memory usage. However it doesn't complete loading dates and also has trouble with the thumbnails. It lists all the thumbnails but doesn't show a pic. If I click on a thumbnail it shows the pic full size ok though. If I try to "import" anyway … well it doesn't.

I can do the import with my old Lr ver3 then upgrade the catalog for the ver 5, so there is probably no properties trouble with my data folders or files.

Any ideas ?

• 1. Re: import trouble in Lr5
          dj_paige Level 9

Describe this in a lot more detail, or show us a screen capture of the problem. If there is an error message, please tell us the complete exact unedited word-for-word error message.

• 2. Re: import trouble in Lr5
            patrickm62450444 Level 1

Pics of the situation is a good idea, I've taken some screenshots ... I hope they help.2016-02-08_023450.jpg

Adding folder to new catalog, part way thru reading. No trouble.

2016-02-08_023526.jpg

All pics read, total seems fine.

2016-02-08_023555.jpg

It seems that Loading dates is endless ... I could wait an hour and it would not change.

2016-02-08_023744.jpg

Only 50 pics are visible as thumnails, they are a mix of 20 year old shots, scans and new pics.

I don't see a reason for them to be shown while others are not.

If I click on the blank thumbs the correct image is displayed.

2016-02-08_024237.jpg

After starting the actual import "add", the 50 shown images are imported.

The program is trying to import the others but doesn't. See status bar at top left.

It seems to be zero and if I quit the program it tells me that there is an unfinished prcess.

2016-02-08_043012.jpg

2 hours later and there is no change ... but also no error messages.

The catalog lists the 2 folders that contain the trouble free 50 images only.

As I stated in my initial post importing the exact same folder in Lr 3.3 goes without hitch.

I even did a ver 6 (cc) trial which also had no trouble.

Only my standalone ver 5.6 does this.

• 3. Re: import trouble in Lr5
              dj_paige Level 9

What happens if you remove the videos from the folder before importing?

• 4. Re: import trouble in Lr5
                patrickm62450444 Level 1

I went one step better, and easier, I selected a much smaller folder with no videos.

2016-02-08_231949.jpg

The result is similar except there are no thumbs with pics at all.

2016-02-08_232013.jpg

Loading dates is in endless mode again.

I didn't try to import as the same problem appears to be there.