6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 10:07 AM by dougophotog

How do I move thousands of already cataloged images to a new catalog in Lightroom CC?

dougophotog

I have both very High Mp images for my photo business along with Low Mp personal images from my phone.  I would like to move all of the low Mp images to a separate catalog.  How do I move thousands of already cataloged images to a new catalog?

• 1. Re: How do I move thousands of already cataloged images to a new catalog in Lightroom CC?
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

From inside the LR Library module, select the images you want to separate, then do an "export as catalog".

Close LR, open the new catalog.

Examine the contents. If you like what you see in the new catalog, then you can go back to the original catalog and delete the exported images from it.

Do NOT delete the images from the hard drive.

• 2. Re: How do I move thousands of already cataloged images to a new catalog in Lightroom CC?
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use File / Export Catalog once or twice to split your current catalog into two. 

You may want to rearrange the photos in LR and on the HD by dragging-and-dropping in the LR folders panel until all the photo-business photos are consolidated into one set of folders under a parent folder or separate hard-drive and all the personal photos are consolidated into another set of folders under another parent folder/hard-drive, but however you decide to organize things, the operation in LR is to select a set of photos you want to be in their own catalog, then use File / Export as Catalog for that set and don’t copy the Digital Negatives (which are the photos themselves) and may not need to copy the previews unless it’s really important that you don’t want to rebuild previews at a later time.

Depending on how scattered your photos are in your catalog and therefore how easy it is to select exactly the entire set of photos that is your photo business or your personal photos in one selection to be exported all at once, you might need to do multiple exports as Catalog and then finally create a new master catalog and do a File / Import from Catalog from each of those subset catalogs.

If most of the photos are your personal photos or most of the photos are your business photos then it might be easier to export the smaller subset of photos to a new catalog then REMOVE those photos from the larger catalog.  Whatever you do don’t DELETE photos from the hard-drive just remove them from the catalog.

Your goal is to have your catalog in two pieces not delete photos, entirely, right?  So be patient and careful about what photos are selected so you don’t’ accidentally end up with photos in neither catalog or photos that are deleted from the hard drive.

If part of your process of splitting involves dragging-and-dropping photos so the set of photos to export is easier to select, then make sure you make a backup of your catalog AFTER you’ve moved the photos on the hard-disk but BEFORE you’ve split the catalog, just so you can go back and start over if the splitting goes awry.

• 3. Re: How do I move thousands of already cataloged images to a new catalog in Lightroom CC?
              dougophotog Level 1

Thanks to both of your timely responses.  It looks like this will od the trick.  Thanks.

• 4. Re: How do I move thousands of already cataloged images to a new catalog in Lightroom CC?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Use the Filter Bar to separate your images. Your Phone's images will be listed as coming from the phone and your business images, shot with a real camera, will also be listed by the camera you took them with.

Filter Bar Camera.PNG

Then you can display just the images from the phone and select All, Export as Catalog. Once that is done you can use the Filter Bar again, it should still be open, to select All again, if they aren't already selected, and remove from your current catalog.

You can select multiple cameras, Phones, at the same time. Just hold down the Ctrl key (Windows. Not sure if it is Ctrl or Command on a Mac) and click all of the different phones you have used over the years.

• 5. Re: How do I move thousands of already cataloged images to a new catalog in Lightroom CC?
                  joachims25232702 Level 1

For me, it worked best to move all photos into a collection and then right-click on that collection and select "export as catalog". While doing that you can mark them as rejected and remove them later. 

You then create a new catalog and import the exported one, also moving the binary files to a good place. Just be aware, that all collections where one photo happened to reside are also created, not just you export collection. So it looks a bit strange the first time. You just need to delete the surplus collections, or keep them if you like.

• 6. Re: How do I move thousands of already cataloged images to a new catalog in Lightroom CC?
                    dougophotog Level 1

Oh Man!  That would have saved  a lot of viewing!  Just to make sure I got them all I might just do it all over again.  thanks!  I used both Shootistbod007 to sort them and create a collection of the ones I missed then exported to a new catalog.  Then went to the original new catalog and imported.  I did the same in reverse for the images I shouldn't have moved the first time.  Gad!  This would have saved me some time the first time around, but I think It's all squared away now.