5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2016 1:24 PM by D Fosse

Export Issues

conorm93402218

I'm using the latest Lightroom on a PC. When I export raw photos as JPEGs that I edited, they don't look right, the colors are off. But when I view them on my iPhone they look perfect. What is happening that my desktop isn't displaying them right?

• 1. Re: Export Issues
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

In what application don't they look right?

And in what way are the colors off?

Did you choose sRGB for color space in the Export dialog?

• 2. Re: Export Issues
            conorm93402218 Level 1

I've tried all the different color spaces. They don't look right in Window photo viewer, or when uploaded online to Google or Flickr. See below for side by side comparison.

photo issue.jpg

• 3. Re: Export Issues
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you calibrating your display? Is this a wide gamut monitor per chance?

• 4. Re: Export Issues
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom is color managed, most other applications are not.

But web browsers can at least display sRGB images correctly, unfortunately Edge and Internet Explorer can not, so they should be avoided. They will display images over-saturated (especially on wide gamut displays), just like Windows photo gallery, which is not color managed either.

The best you can do is to always use sRGB when you export jpgs, and stop using Edge or Internet Explorer. Firefox, Chrome and Opera are OK.

As for viewing jpgs on your own computer, you could get the free color managed IrfanView

It's not color managed by default, you have to set it in preferences.

• 5. Re: Export Issues
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can immediately see that the Windows Photo Viewer is wrong - with obvious color banding in the shadows (left side of face). These two applications are both color managed and should display absolutely identically.

This is a defective monitor profile. While handled correctly by Lightroom, Photo Viewer chokes on it. It's quite common that different applications react differently to bad profiles.

Temporarily, you can replace your display profile with sRGB, but the real fix is to use a calibrator to make a new profile.