7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 11:33 AM by Jack II

Stacking doesn't work as it should/used to

Jack II

I don't want to stack any of my photos. However, when it used to do this on its own I could unstack by selecting Stacking, Unstack and LR would do as asked. This was after editing the photo in Photoshop, saving as a TIF and then saving as a JPEG. However, now it has started stacking without being asked and the Unstack command is grayed out. If the file name is identical to the original it stacks the JPEG with the NEF file. It also can append a -Edit onto the original file name for both the TIF and JPEG. Then it stacks the TIF and JPEG together with the same graying out effect on the Unstack command. If I try the Expand All Stacks command nothing changes - still stacked. If I use a completely different name, such as filenameA that is different than the NEF or TIF name it dispalys unstacked files.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a default setting for LR or PS that I can use to prevent stacking PERIOD?
      2. What is causing the files to have a -Edit tacked onto the file name and can it be overridden by a setting in either LR or PS?

The online Help explains the process to unstack as I used to do it, but it no longer behaves as I have come to expect.

Help would be much appreciated as now I have to go to Show in Explorer to sort out the two files that have been stacked by program(s) inadvertently!

I am using a Dell PC Inspiron 660, Windows 7, and the CC versions of LR and PS. They have operated normally up until recently. [Not hijacking the files by stacking!]

Jack

• 1. Re: Stacking doesn't work as it should/used to
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Stacking and Un-Stacking works just fine on both my home built desktop and my Dell E6420 notebook.

Delete the preference file and try it again.

Start a new catalog and import a few images then Stack and un-stack. Does that work?

• 2. Re: Stacking doesn't work as it should/used to
            bhousto90 Level 3

The resolution to both your stacking issue with photos after editing in Photoshop and the "-edit" suffix on filename come from the same area in preferences:

Open Preferences then select the External editing tab.

There is a option for "stack with original"  - Uncheck it

Just below that option is the file naming template for your externally edit files... modify this as you see fit.

i.e Choose just the "Filename" option and your files will be named either filename.psd or filename.tif depending on your other external editing preferences.

• 3. Re: Stacking doesn't work as it should/used to
              Jack II Level 1

Thanks for your quick answer. I deleted the Preference file. Restarted LR and unchecked the stack box (actually it was not checked). Still no luck. Opened a new catalog and imported 10 photos. Edited in Photoshop and saved as TIF and JPEG. It stacks as NEF + JPEG and the unstack menu item is grayed out. So I'm not sure where to go next.

• 4. Re: Stacking doesn't work as it should/used to
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Deleting the preference file is irrelevant. Instead, follow the instructions from bhousto90:

"Open Preferences then select the External editing tab.

There is a option for "stack with original"  - Uncheck it"

• 5. Re: Stacking doesn't work as it should/used to
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Jack II wrote:

Thanks for your quick answer. I deleted the Preference file. Restarted LR and unchecked the stack box (actually it was not checked). Still no luck. Opened a new catalog and imported 10 photos. Edited in Photoshop and saved as TIF and JPEG. It stacks as NEF + JPEG and the unstack menu item is grayed out. So I'm not sure where to go next.

Are you sure you have one of the images in the Stack when you select, Look At, the Un-Stack menu option?

I just tried this and unless you actually have one of the Stacked images selected that option is greyed out.

• 6. Re: Stacking doesn't work as it should/used to
                    johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                    Edited in Photoshop and saved as TIF and JPEG. It stacks as NEF + JPEG and the unstack menu item is grayed out.

I think there is confusion over terminology here.  Without knowing exactly which commands you are giving and all your settings, I'm guessing the saved JPEG is actually getting treated as a sidecar of the NEF, and it is showing up in the Library as:

Untitled.png

(This is not "stacking".) If that is indeed what is happening, you can stop that from occurring by checking the option Preferences > General > Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos.

To recap the settings to get your desired behavior:

- Check Preferences > General > Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos

- Uncheck Preferences > External Editing > Stack With Original

- Set Preferences > External Editing > Template to Filename.

With these settings, if you select an NEF named "a.nef" in Library and do Photo > Edit In > Edit In Adobe Photoshop CC 2015, then in Photoshop you do File > Save, the file "a.tif" will appear in your Library, unstacked.    Then if you do File > Save As in Photoshop and save as a JPEG,the .jpg will not appear as a sidecar of the .nef.

But note that the saved JPEG will not be automatically imported into LR -- you'll have to do Import or Synchronize Folder to get the JPEG imported into the catalog.  I don't believe there is any way to do File > Save As JPEG in Photoshop and have the JPEG automatically imported.   (There is another way to convert a cataloged LR file into a JPEG and automatically import it into LR -- ask if that's what you want.)

If at this point you are still stuck, the most efficient way to troubleshoot is to post full-resolution screenshots:

- Preferences > General window

- Preferences > External Editing window

- The full LR window in Library showing the undesired results.

And specify precisely which LR and Photoshop commands you are giving. Then everyone will be on the same page of exactly what you're observing.

• 7. Re: Stacking doesn't work as it should/used to
                      Jack II Level 1

I think you got to the heart of it. The"Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos" was not checked and I checked it. Seems to have separated out those I thought were stacked (and were actually a sidecar (*.xmp file). Thanks so much for straightening me out.

Jack