19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2016 6:49 AM by whsprague

Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work

moshek1955

Hello. While exporting a video slideshow the program stops with no explanation given. have any idea of solving the problem? I'm using Lightroom 6

• 1. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
          whsprague Adobe Community Professional

Depending on what computer you have, you should be able to update to LR 6.4.  (Help > Updates).  Then try it again. 

• 2. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
            moshek1955 Level 1

Thank you for your prompt reply. Lightroom 6.4 is my version

• 3. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work

I've got some other guesses.  One would be to do a reinstall.  But before you do that, could you post more detail about the computer, the project, etc.  Others that may post will want that. 

• 4. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                moshek1955 Level 1

I'm working with a Dell Latitude 4300. It has an Intel GMA 4500MHD graphic which is more than the minimum requirements (Intel 4400 and up).

I tried exporting several slideshows, 8 photos up to 27 photos. With and without music etc. It doesn't work. Exporting to PDF and JPG works fine.

• 5. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                  moshek1955 Level 1

How can I reinstall without losing my content within the program?

• 6. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work

All of your photo work is saved in a catalog file.  Your slide show is saved as a specialized collection in your catalog file when you "Create a Slideshow" with a name.   

Uninstalling and re-installing does not remove the catalog file.  Note that you should be creating and saving backups of your catalog file to allow recovery from all the potential computer disasters that can strike.

• 7. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                      moshek1955 Level 1

I looked at the Adobe website and saw that for Lightroom6 part of the minimum system requirements is supporting OpenGL3.3 and DirectX10. My computer supports DirectX11 but only OpenGL2.1. Do you know if that can be the issue? 

• 8. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                        moshek1955 Level 1

I re-installed the program. The problem remains...

• 9. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work

I did a quick look up for the Dell 4300.  The Dell spec sheet suggested it was shipped with Windows Vista.  Maybe there are later models, but you may not have enough computer to run the current Lightroom version well.   I really don't know what to suggest.  By adding a post, it will bump to the top and maybe someone else can do better than I can.

• 10. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                            moshek1955 Level 1

Thank you so much for your efforts

• 11. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                              brihi

I have the same problem "Export Slideshow as Video" begins the process of export but stalls at about 10% and remains stalled.

• 12. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                                ratio2142

I have this same problem. I have created a slideshow with 880 photos and it gets to about 1/5 on the progress bar when exporting the video and then just stops with no explanation. This project is too big for me to just give up. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

• 13. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work

ratio2142 wrote:

I have this same problem. I have created a slideshow with 880 photos and it gets to about 1/5 on the progress bar when exporting the video and then just stops with no explanation. This project is too big for me to just give up. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

This is a bit of a stretch, but depending on the version of Lightroom you have, it may depend on borrowing codecs from Apple's Quicktime.  What version are you running, what computer are you running, how much disk space, how much memory and any other details you can think of?

• 14. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                                    ratio2142 Level 1

Lightroom version: 6.6.1

Operating system: Windows 10
                                    Processor speed: 2.3 GHz
                                    Real memory available to Lightroom: 8107.1 MB
                                    Real memory used by Lightroom: 428.0 MB (5.2%)
                                    Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1454.4 MB
                                    Memory cache size: 1760.0 MB

Graphics Processor Info:
                                    Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

Check OpenGL support: Passed

I created a new slideshow out of the original with only 100 photos and it did the same thing.

• 15. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                                      ratio2142 Level 1

Also, need simpleton instructions. I have no idea what codecs are.

• 16. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work

Lightroom makes video files for slide shows.  Video files are made by "coding" and played by "decoding" to formats that are licensed.  "Coding" and "decoding" tools are called "codecs".   For years, the cheapest way to get some of them was by borrowing from Apple by having Apple Quicktime on your computer.  

I don't know how various versions of Lightroom use the Quicktime codecs.  A couple versions of Lightroom back I had removed Quicktime from my computer and had some issues in Lightroom.  Since then, Adobe has said they have worked away from borrowing Quicktime tools.  That is why I asked what version of Lightroom you are using.  If it is an old version, you MIGHT need Quicktime codecs to code the video output used to make slideshows.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                                          ratio2142 Level 1

Okay, I have Lightroom 6.6.1 which I just bought 6 months ago so I am assuming it is a very recent or the newest version. I bought the program specifically for this project I have been working on since July. Now, I not only can't get the project to export as a video but I have realized that you cannot burn DVD's with the program either. I am sorry but that seems like a huge oversight in the program.

Thank you so much for explaining codecs. It was very helpful. I've noticed that whenever I ask questions on the forums that the answers are probably written by very tech savvy individuals. I am very good within the programs such as Photoshop, Premiere Elements, Lightroom, etc. but when something goes wrong it can be an issue. When There is an actual tutorial I have no problems but I'm no computer programmer...that's for sure. I do have Quicktime so I am going to play with some of the setting to see if that may help.

If you or anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know. One way or another, I will figure it out eventually.

• 18. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work
                                            ratio2142 Level 1

Oh my gosh! I am so excited. From the answer whsprague gave me I made some changes to Quicktime Player and it appears to have worked beautifully. Here is what I did. I opened Quicktime Player, clicked edit, clicked preferences, clicked Quicktime Player preferences, clicked on Advanced and changed the download cache from 0 to the highest 10,000 MB setting and then I checked the box under media encoding for enable encoding using legacy codecs. Now, I don't know if the download cache or the media encoding or both combined are what worked but I got the 100 photo slideshow to fully export in about 3 minutes. I hope that this is helpful to everyone with this problem. Thanks to whsprague for the codecs lesson because I wouldn't have checked that box without the information that you gave me on that and Quicktime Player.

• 19. Re: Lightroom slideshow video export doesn't work

ratio2142 wrote:

..... I have realized that you cannot burn DVD's with the program either. I am sorry but that seems like a huge oversight in the program.

I've not used the SlideShow feature lately, so part of this is from memory.....

As I recall, the output from the SlideShow module is an MP4 file with pixel dimensions to match current HD TV screens and projectors.  That is 1920x1080.  If it were to "burn a DVD" that would reduce the quality to the old tube TV standard definition of 640x480.  In other words, your slideshow would look like crap on current TV. 

So called DVD players have mostly gone away.  At least you can't buy them anymore.  The have been replaced by Blu-Ray players.  Blu-Ray players will play MP4 files as data.  You can use a DVD disk to store data files.  You should be able to output your slideshow to an MP4 file in Lightroom to your computer HDD.  Then copy that MP4 file to a DVD.  Insert that DVD into a Blu-Ray player and you should see it on your TV.  MP4 files can also be distributed to friends and family via YouTube, DropBox and maybe Facebook.   They are usually too big to send via direct email.

Good luck!

Bill