18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 6:34 AM by davidorthfurniture

searchable pdf printing?

davidorthfurniture Level 1

Hi folks,

I have 4 important PDF files on my website.  These are my art portfolios and they include some text.  Recently I discovered that the pages I create in Photoshop (almost all of them) are not searchable and web crawlers are not seeing them, nor can they be searched within Reader.

I create the pages in Photoshop, compile them in InDesign, then print with the Adobe PDF printer.  What do I need to do to make the PDF's text discoverable?  and presumably searchable - though that is not as important to me as that webcrawlers are finding the content.

Here are examples: Furniture, Sculpture, & Liturgical Art

Thanks,

David Orth

• 1. Re: searchable pdf printing?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Create the text in InDesign and export the PDFs.

• 2. Re: searchable pdf printing?

BTW, why are you using PDFs for such important information.

This stuff could easily be done as real web pages.

• 3. Re: searchable pdf printing?

Bob,

Thanks for your input.

I was hoping there would be a way without changing my work flow that much.  I like Photoshop for it's ease and flexibility of layout. (I know this is is partly a function of what I am used to - but it's not entirely).  The very few pages I create in Word and then place in InDesign are searchable/discoverable.  Was hoping for something similar in placing pages that originate in Photoshop.

I know my PDF approach is unorthodox.  However, they work very well for me on all kinds of levels.  Except for the searchable issue I am trying to resolve - obviously.

• 4. Re: searchable pdf printing?

Well, then, you need to rethink what you’ve done.

It looks like placed a PSD from Photoshop since everything’s been rasterized. You could place a Photoshop PDF but that wouldn’t, I believe give you live text, more a vector version, IIRC.

It would be worth a try however.

• 5. Re: searchable pdf printing?
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Even if you DON'T print PDFs from Photoshop (which is gruesome method) but save as with all layers alive should give you searchable PDFs as result.

• 6. Re: searchable pdf printing?
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't have any meta data in the header of the page with the PDF links, so if you want the portfolio page to be indexed for a specific search add description and keyword meta lines to the page head. The description can be any text.

<meta name="description" content="Your PDF text here">

<!--tab delimited keyword list here-->

<meta name="keywords" content="Glyph Table, Clapp Table, etc">

Just keep in mind that you might get included in a search for bronze furniture, but that search at Google returns 31 million pages so no one would get to your page anyway. Also Google now gives preference to mobile friendly sites—sites that rearrange the pages to the screen size. If SEO is really important to you, look at some of the mobile friendly WordPress portfolio templates out there.

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 2.00.42 PM.png

• 7. Re: searchable pdf printing?

Thanks guys,

You've stirred my imagination here.  Comments got me trying a few different things.  The following seems to work on some level:  I took my 30-some page file and applied OCR recognition to it in Acrobat Pro.  Took a couple minutes.  Saved it and uploaded it.  The text is now completely searchable.  Not sure whether this is the end of it.  You experts will probably think of something better.  I do need to add metadata, but doing the simplest thing in html is beyond me.  Need someone looking over my shoulder.

So what do you think?  I ran the test on the Bronze & Steel portfolio: http://orthsculpture.com/pdfs/Orth-Bronze.pdf

Guess I'll find out in a week or so whether Google sees it.

Next question will be whether Google will now return image search results, too.  It hasn't been doing so.

David

• 8. Re: searchable pdf printing?

Try searching for PDF SEO

Are PDFs Optimal For SEO? The Pros And Cons

I do need to add metadata, but doing the simplest thing in html is beyond me.

Meta tags are pretty simple.

After this line in your portfolio page <title>Furniture, Sculpture, &amp; Liturgical Art</title>

Edit the content="" and add these two lines, key words are separated by commas

<meta name="description" content="Your PDF discription here">

<meta name="keywords" content="keyword 1, keyword 2, etc">

So:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<title>Furniture, Sculpture, &amp; Liturgical Art</title>

<meta name="description" content="Your PDF discriptions here">

<meta name="keywords" content="keyword 1, keyword 2, etc">

<link href="styles/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<style type="text/css">

<!--

body,td,th {
                        font-family: Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
                        font-size: 14px;
                        }
                        -->
                        </style></head>

• 9. Re: searchable pdf printing?

WHY are you printing a PDF from PHotoshop? WHY?

Save as PDF (and take care that the file is not flattened)?

When you do that, you don't need any OCR!

Of course, better would be, to create all from scratch in InDesign.

• 10. Re: searchable pdf printing?

Willi,

There must be something very nonsensical and upsetting about my process!  Smiling.  I appreciate the concern, and expertise, and will continue to ponder all the advice given here.

I am not printing PDFs from Photoshop.  I am placing full PSD files (no flattening) into InDesign - one per page. I guess InDesign flattens them.  Are there any options to prevent this flattening - other than doing all the layout in InDesign? It would be much more elegant not to use OCR.

(Am I wrong that there is much more control for layout in Photoshop?  Are the same blending options and effects available in InDesign?  I'm sure 1/3 of my resistance to doing this all in InDesign is that I know Photoshop, but only a few essentials in InDesign.  Another 1/3 is that once I learn InDesign adequately, I don't relish doing these portfolios all over.  Final 1/3 is that Photoshop has some nice functionality.)

Question: If I do learn to lay this all out in InDesign, then print PDFs, will the IMAGES as well as the text be searchable on the web?  How do I "take care that the file is not flattened" as you say?

David

• 11. Re: searchable pdf printing?

As I mentioned earlier. DO NOT place PSDs containing vector information into InDesign. Save as Photoshop PDF and place that.

• 12. Re: searchable pdf printing?
                                Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

I don't agree with adding ever more to Photoshop. Instead of having separate apps that do their individual job well you would have one app which is not as good. And Photoshop is already way too complex. The fact is that people do design jobs endlessly switching apps. And it doesn't seem a big problem. Indeed, the discipline of separately organising assets for layout can help.

• 13. Re: searchable pdf printing?
                                  1. At the moment you should save PDFs from Photoshop, not PSDs and import them (place) into InDesign as it keeps text and vectors alive.
                                  2. PDF should not be created via export from InDesign not via print
                                  3. InDesign has huge more abilities to create fine layout than Photoshop has. Photoshop is needed to make the images great but should not be used to make layouts. Another advantage is, that layouts created in InDesign are much smaller in file size that Photoshop would it make possible.
                                  • 14. Re: searchable pdf printing?

Next question will be whether Google will now return image search results, too.  It hasn't been doing so.

Your question really is about SEO not the details on proper PDF production. I don't think the images will come up in a search—images need an alt tag in HTML in order to make them SEO friendly—for PDFs maybe a caption would be searchable.

Again search engines might get into the text of a PDF, but it's really questionable how meaningful a search return will be for an obscure PDF (linked out of a page with no metatags) if it's on page 936 of the search results. Read up on SEO before worrying about PDF export details.

• 15. Re: searchable pdf printing?
                                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Most search engines do not consider a PDF to be an image, even if you do and it contains only an image. They are considered to be documents, and the individual images are not (typically) considered as elements. If you want searchability of text and images, real web pages is the way to go. These are frequently supplemented by PDFs to download and keep/admire/print.

• 16. Re: searchable pdf printing?

If you want searchability of text and images, real web pages is the way to go

Right, see my #6.

In theory search engines can get into the text of a PDF. The question is are the results going to get ranked in any useful way.

Are PDFs Optimal For SEO? The Pros And Cons

• 17. Re: searchable pdf printing?

rob day wrote:

If you want searchability of text and images, real web pages is the way to go

Right, see my #6.

And my #2

• 18. Re: searchable pdf printing?

Thanks, All,

I've had some time to consider all the good advice.  While I want to continue to produce these portfolios as PDF files, I see clearly now that it is best to compile the pages in InDesign.

In the meantime, I am running OCR on my existing portfolios, saving the resultant file.  This makes it searchable.  Also, easy to go into InDesign and add better titles and metawords to the Document Properties.  Thanks for that heads up.

Also, discovered that for PDFs Google depends on document file names to assess content - as well as the link content pointing to these documents.  I have begun making these elements more informational.

So, now I'm doing some online training to get more comfortable with InDesign.  Over time, I'll have this all reconfigured and looking and behaving much better!