10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 4:27 PM by leonem12

dng converter and lightroom cc

leonem12

HI I have been successfully using adobe DNG converter 8.4 to convert my rw2 files for my panasonic lumix tZ60 camera. This has been with an older version of Lightroom. Now i am on El Capitan and Lightroom cc but lightroom could not see the dng files when i tried to import them. So i upgraded the DNG software to the latest, deleted the dng files that could not be seen by Lightroom CC and tried again. Same result. It can't see them.  Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

• 1. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

If you are using the catalog from the "older version of Lightroom", then there is nothing to import!

The DNGs would already be in the catalog and will not import a second time.

If you deleted the DNG files that could not be seen by LR, where and what are your original images now?

Are you re-creating DNGs from the original RW2 files?

Even re-creating the DNGs from the RW2 files will not allow you to re-import -IF the preview thumbnails still exist in the catalog library.

• 2. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What was the older version of Lightroom? If you used the DNG converter from Adobe, there doesn't seem to be any reason why Lightroom wouldn't be able to import and read those files. If you are using Lightroom CC now, you shouldn't need to use the DNG converter. If you want DNG files you can convert them using Lightroom. And you can have Lightroom convert them to DNG as they are imported. Since you are now using current Lightroom software, there should be no need to use the DNG converter. However, Lightroom should still read those DNG files. There must be something else that you aren't mentioning.

• 3. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
              leonem12 Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Brand new photos taken in the last 2 days - never been imported to Lightroom before. Tried to import them but the machine just whirred away and then finally stopped.  No files were showing but the directory was showing.  Originally i tried to import them from the sd card - no luck, so then i saved them to a directory where my photos live and tried from there, No luck, then i remembered about DNG converting so tried that. No luck.

nothing else to mention - it  just wont see them to allow me to import them.

Leone

• 4. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
                leonem12 Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Brand new photos taken in the last 2 days - never been imported to Lightroom before. Tried to import them but the machine just whirred away and then finally stopped.  No files were showing but the directory was showing.  Originally i tried to import them from the sd card - no luck, so then i saved them to a directory where my photos live and tried from there, No luck, then i remembered about DNG converting so tried that. No luck.

nothing else to mention - it  just wont see them to allow me to import them.

Leone

• 5. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
                  leonem12 Level 1

the original files are on my sd card

i was re creating dng from the original RW2 files

they have never been in LR before as i just took them over the past 2 days.

Leone

• 6. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
                    leonem12 Level 1

Ok

thinking about what you said i tried my other camera - nikon D7200 and the same thing is happening. Lightroom cant see the photos on the SD card - just whirrs away and does nothing.

• 7. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
                      99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After you click Import, ensure that the destination directory is showing. Click to open the destination panel on the right-hand side of the import dialog. Otherwise use Cmd+i on the destination folder, to ensure you have read & write permissions set for the folder you are copying into.

• 8. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
                        leonem12 Level 1

Thank you - but i can change the destination directory to anything - it is on the import side that i cant see any photo files. I have also checked that the destination drive has read and write permissions enabled.

• 9. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
                          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I could be a hardware problem. Have you tried connecting the camera directly or using a different card reader/port?

• 10. Re: dng converter and lightroom cc
                            leonem12 Level 1

Thank you everyone for trying to assist me. I ended up ringing Adobe support and it turns out it was my LR catalogue.  All now fixed.

cheers

Leone