1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 5:41 AM by John Mensinger

InDesign crashes during lunch

Cargo Scanwolf

Could´t resist the pun...

When I take a break to go for lunch and is away from the computer for maybe 30-40 minutes, InDesign will have crashed when I return. Happens almost every day and I think it is related to the network. But I also use Acrobat, Photoshop and Illustrator, and none of them ever get affected. What makes InDesign so nervous and is there some cure? I have CC15 and is on an iMac from 2015 with OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 and our server is Microsoft Small Business Server

• 1. Re: InDesign crashes during lunch
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Acrobat Photoshop and Illustrator have nothing even close to the document recovery system that runs under the InDesign hood. As far as I can tell, it very regularly "pings" any open files, and if they (the files) reside on the network, bandwidth fluctuations and other connectivity issues can interfere, causing the problems you're seeing. Many will advise you not to work on files across a network, although there are plenty of workflow scenarios in which it's beneficial to do so. I would say to protect your files, it's best to save and close them before you leave the machine unattended for any significant length of time.