6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 1:34 PM by LarryJohnson

How Do I Safely Remove Duplicate Smart Previews

LarryJohnson Level 1

I created smart previews for some old raw images that are stored on an external drive.  Somehow I created duplicate previews for some images taken on 02-04-15 and they appear with other photos in folder 01-31-15, but they have different file names.  The duplicate smart previews have files names such as IMG_1234, whereas the non-duplicate smart previews have expected file names such as 02-04-15-2-345.  I need to delete the duplicate smart previews, but I'm concerned that if I do, I will end up removing the original raw file once I connect to the external drive on which they are stored.  How should I proceed? 

I'm running El Capitan on late 2008 macbook pro. 

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How Do I Safely Remove Duplicate Smart Previews
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi LarryJohnson,

The Smart Previews are stored in an entirely different folder than your Raw images.

Please go to the location where the Catalog is saved, and in there you will find a folder (Lightroom Catalog Name) Smart Previews.lrdata.

So you may delete the Smart Previews.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: How Do I Safely Remove Duplicate Smart Previews
            LarryJohnson Level 1

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have no idea where they are saved or how to find them.  They are definitely on my hard drive because I use them all the time without the external attached. 

Also, how do I activate notifications for this thread so I don't have to keep checking back in wondering if there's a reply.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: How Do I Safely Remove Duplicate Smart Previews
              LarryJohnson Level 1

...and more importantly , are you certain that deleting the smart preview will not delete the original raw image of the duplicate images that have different file names.

• 4. Re: How Do I Safely Remove Duplicate Smart Previews
                whsprague Level 4

LarryJohnson wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have no idea where they are saved or how to find them.  They are definitely on my hard drive because I use them all the time without the external attached. 

Also, how do I activate notifications for this thread so I don't have to keep checking back in wondering if there's a reply.  Thanks.

Use Windows Explorer and type ".lrdata" into the search box.  The email thing should be automatic unless you've turned it off or not provided an email.  Check the "Follow" tap in the upper right corner of this screen.

• 5. Re: How Do I Safely Remove Duplicate Smart Previews
                  Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Click on Edit > Catalog Settings.

A new window should pop up, in there please click on " Show " in general tab.

Explorer window should open , and you should be able to see the Lightroom Catalog.

And you may remove the Smart Previews.lrdata file, and be assured the original files will still remain .

• 6. Re: How Do I Safely Remove Duplicate Smart Previews
                    LarryJohnson Level 1

Why would you have me delete the entire catalog of Smart Previews when all I want to do is delete the duplicate Smart Previews of some photos?  I don't have much confidence in your suggestion.

It doesn't matter because ALL of the thousands of Smart Previews that I created in the past week are gone.  None show up for the images on my hard drive or for images on the external drive.  However, the Catalog Previews.lrdata shows 157.7MB of data.  I tried posting a screen shot, but that doesn't seem to work.  I'm beside myself right now.

file:///Users/MyHomeFolder/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-08%20at%204.09.34%20PM.png

file:///Users/MyHomeFolder/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-08%20at%204.06.11%20PM.png