15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 4:13 PM by Paul E

Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???

best-one Level 1

I had lightroom 5 set up and was using successfully on my laptop. I bought a new p.c. that I downloaded Lightroom to and that was fine. I copied my photos, presets, etc. via a usb drive into the new pc and that went well. But I no longer have my personal presets in lightroom on my laptop? What did I do wrong? When I copied them I just dragged them from my computer file to the usb drive. How do I get them back? Thanx in advance.

• 1. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi best-one,

Seems like you moved the presets from that location on your laptop instead of copying them over.

Would suggest you to copy the presets again from your PC to laptop.

You should select the presets, right click and copy and then, paste them on USB drive instead of drag and drop.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???
            best-one Level 1

I still have them on my usb drive. So I can copy them from my usb drive and then put them back where??  You can tell I'm not too great at this! ( appreciate any and all help!)

• 3. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???

You can copy them from your USB drive to the below location on your laptop if its a Windows machine :

• Go to Lightroom Preferences > Presets tab
              • Click on Show Lightroom Preset folder
              • Open that Lightroom folder and paste them all there if you have them in folders form (Develop presets and all) but if they are directly templates in .lrtemplate form then, paste them in the develop presets folder under that Lightroom folder.
              • 4. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???
                best-one Level 1

thank you. Here's something else....I did that with all of the files, including the file with the lightroom logo on it, which I think would be my catalog. I see that on my C drive on the laptop but when I open lightroom in my laptop, it looks like a default catalog. Do I have to go to my C drive and copy the catalog and then paste it back into itself? Something is really missing . Plus now that I tried to copy and put things back, I don't think think I got it all in the right places. I took a screen shot of the lightroom library mode and it never looked like this before. Please help!Untitled.jpg

• 5. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???

It seems like you placed it in the Develop Presets folder.

Remove them all from that folder and paste them in the Lightroom folder which shows up as soon as you click on "Show Lightroom Presets folder"

You mentioned "it looks like a default catalog". Do you mean to say it is opening the empty catalog and not the one on which you were working on?

• 6. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???
                    best-one Level 1

yes. I had removed the lightroom logo that shows when opening it, and that's back. Everything seems to be missing, except now the files I've copied back into their right places, like my presets and my photos. I think I had dragged the lightroom folder ( the one with the lightroom logo) over into my pc. ugh.......it's a mess. I'll try doing as you mentioned.

• 7. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???

You can copy that Lightroom Catalog back to its original position.

By default, it should be under Pictures\Lightroom folder

• 8. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???
                        best-one Level 1

okay. When I went to my pictures , I opened it and saw Lightroom. Clicked on that and I saw a few files. Should I click on the entire lightroom folder , unopened, in My pictures or should I open it and select the Lightroom logo folder?  I apologize for all this, as I feel tremendously inept at this. files.jpg

• 9. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???

I am not sure if this is blank catalog or, if it contains some edits.

What you can do is create a new folder under My Pictures\ named Lightroom New Catalog (or any other name as you want) and paste it within this new folder.

Then, launch Lightroom by clicking directly on that catalog which would paste there.

• 10. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???
                            best-one Level 1

I seem to have two different files in my preset folder. If you went back to my 3rd post here, you can see this. how do I separate the presets from the other folder, which I don't have a clue to what it is!  But I'm pretty sure that device icon nor email address book should be in the presets folder. I have truly mucked this all up. Is there a simple way for me to reset everything back to default?

• 11. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???

Follow the below steps :

• Go back to that Lightroom Presets folder
                              • Drag and drop Develop preset folder from that location to desktop
                              • Go one folder up again in that parent Lightroom Presets folder
                              • Copy and paste all those presets from your USB drive to this Lightroom Presets folder (not in the develop presets folder)
                              • Quit and relaunch Lightroom program and check.

Let me know if you face any trouble while doing this.

• 12. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???
                                best-one Level 1

Here's my problem. I didn't realize that my dragging files from one place to another was actually removing them.....now I know that. I dragged files from my external drive to the thumb drive and from the thumb drive to my pc. I moved my photos from my external hard drive to my pc by dragging them. I've also dragged from my c drive on my laptop to my thumb drive files. There are some empty files on my thumb drive and both harddrives, all not empty in the same locations. I fear I have truly messed this up. I appreciate your help but, as in your last email, when you tell me to go back to the lightroom presets folder, on what drive...thumb, C or external?

• 13. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???

I understand your concern.

I meant the Lightroom Presets folder on your C:\ Drive.

• 14. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???
                                    best-one Level 1

Where does lightroom locate its presets?

• 15. Re: Missing presets on laptop after copy to usb drive???
                                      Paul E Level 1

Do you have your original catalog opening properly on either machine at the moment? If so, go to the  Edit menu. Select preferences. At the top of the pop up window, choose the second tab from the left labeled "Presets". Now, in the second section down, there is a check box to "Store Presets With this Catalog" Make sure it has a check. You can then use the button directly to the right of this check box to see your presets folder.

As a word of advice while dragging things in Windows from drive to drive or folder to folder:

1 )Click the item you want to move or copy to the new location

2) Just dragging it to the new location will MOVE it to the new location. Removing it from the old location.

3) In order to COPY it to the new location (leaving the original in place) Press the ctrl key WHILE dragging and don't let it go until you have dropped the file in the new location. When pressing the ctrl key, you will see a hovered message above your cursor telling you that it is copying the file to the new location.

Once you've done all of the above, open the catalog on the other machine and set the above preset preference. This way you will always see your presets no matter which machine you're on.

I hope some of this is helpful.

oh, ps, when ever you need to move your catalog to a new machine, just move the whole folder. Don't open it at all, you need everything inside of it.