23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 10:13 AM by Laura Shoe

Can I display my Lr photos on my television

PeterMienes

Currently I'm using Aperture to 'develop' my photos and then export them to my Synology NAS (as a backup) and import them to Apple Photos so that I can view the photos on my TV (via Apple TV) and on my iPhone. If for instance I forgot to batch change the copyright field, then I have to start the workflow over again in Aperture, export, import,...

I would like to have one single tool that has Aperture like facilities (incl. albums/collections) and be able to view my photos in low resolution on my iPhone and in full resolution on my TV. Is that possible with LightRoom? I'm well willing to pay 12 euro per month for LR+CreativeCloud, but I do expect a one stop shop for that serious amount of money.

I would guess that it's possible to AirPlay my photos from Lr Mobile to my Apple TV, but that's not in full resolution, is it?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :-)

• 1. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi PeterMienes,

You can view the images from Lightroom to Lightroom Mobile in your iPhone via the syncing process but you cannot view them directly on your TV as AirPlay is not supported yet.

So, you will have to export the images from Lightroom/Lightroom Mobile to be viewed on Apple TV.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
            Hayhill Level 2

Actually you can easily mirror your device (desktop, laptop, iPad or iPhone depending on connectivity) using airplay to an Apple TV, showing photos as a slide show or whatever. The resolution is limited by both the basic device and your TV's resolution.

• 3. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
              PeterMienes Level 1

Hi Chetna,

Thanks for your reply. When you're saying "export the images from Lightroom/Lightroom Mobile to be viewed on Apple TV", you mean exporting them from Lr and then importing them into Apple's Photos? Because how else would I be able to view them on Apple TV?

I'm wondering why Adobe does not provide a TVos app to facilitate viewing photos on TV.

Regards, Peter

• 4. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                PeterMienes Level 1

Ha Hayhill,

It is my understanding that photos will be synced to Lr mobile in low resolution. So it would be this low resolution version that you can display (via iPad mirroring) on the TV. It just makes me wonder: why bother about keeping my photos in high resolutions when I can only present them to family and friends in low resolution on the TV... ;-)

I'm getting the feeling that Adobe's Lr is more focussed on (semi-)professionals than on end users who admittedly need the organizational and development features of Lr (or an alternative) but at the end of their workflow just like to present their photo's on their TV in the best possible quality.

Thanks again, Peter

• 5. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                  Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Yes, you will need to import them to Apple Photos App after exporting from Lightroom.

You can request for the feature here : Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 6. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                    Hayhill Level 2

Peter,

I think it might help to remember (at least for me) the only time I need "high" resolution is when I edit the photos (at their native resolution) and when I make fairly large prints (at 300 ppi). For the web or email it is usually more like 72 ppi and for presentations the resolution is limited by the device (often a projector or TV screen which can go to about 1080 pixels total irregardless how wide the image appears on the screen). Very high resolution photos (I shoot a Canon 5DsR at 50 megapixels and edit on  a 5K screen) is actually mostly waisted unless there is a lot of cropping.

• 7. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                      john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Images are synced to mobile devices at 2048 pixels. Big enough for most of today's TVs.

• 8. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

john beardsworth wrote:

Images are synced to mobile devices at 2048 pixels. Big enough for most of today's TVs.

Exactly! AppleTVs have a max resolution of 1080p currently, which is 1920x1080 pixels. The images in LR/mobile are more than good enough for displaying on an AppleTV. However, when you airplay an iPad's screen, it won't fill the screen completely and you will get black bars on the left and right so I wouldn't use Lightroom mobile for this purpose. There is actually a much easier solution that uses the full resolution available on the AppleTV and HDTV connected to it, which is to use airplay from your computer. You can then set the airplay screen up as a secondary screen and simply use it as a secondary display directly from Lightroom. This works really well and is a simple solution for slideshows on a TV. You might have to make sure under or overscan is set up correctly in the settings on the AppleTV to fill the screen. This is a great and simple solution that works perfectly fine and you don't need any cloud services or anything interfering. You just need a working network.

If you do not want to use a computer, but all you want is to show your images on any AppleTV using the built-in pan and zoom and such, what you should do is ignore Lightroom mobile completely and just export your images to reduced size sRGB jpegs (2048 pixels at 75% quality is a good compromise, make sure to use output sharpening for screen), load them in Apple Photos (I wouldn't use Aperture anymore as Apple hasn't updated it in ages) and sync them to a iCloud album. They will show up nicely on the AppleTV in the photos section and it is all free!

• 9. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television

PS Adobe should really have an AppleTV app that natively displays LR/mobile galleries. That would be quite neat.

• 10. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                            Hayhill Level 2

Thanks, Jao vdL, you have made my life a bit easier.

• 11. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television

I forgot to mention that another alternative is to set up the plex app on your AppleTV (free download from the app store) and run a plex media server on your computer. Then simply set up a publish service that exports to a folder in a shared folder and they will show up on your AppleTV and you can run slideshows and play Lightroom exported video. Plex gets an Apple TV app for streaming your media library | Macworld

• 12. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                PeterMienes Level 1

Hi Jao, Hayhill, John and Chetna, thanks for helping me sort my thoughts. The mention about the ppi's helps me to see things more relative.

I may just go and trial Lr, and I do hope that the mobile app will also allow me to select collections (which would contain my favorite photo's of an event, eg a holiday) and AirPlay them via my Apple TV. Although this would leave me with the black bars around the photo, it would allow me to present a collection, which is something that Plex and Apple's Photo app both don't allow me to.

If Adobe would develop an app for TVos, than I would also welcome an option to display the description/comment that I give to some photo's. Just like the old days when one would write some text under a photo sticked in an album: if you browse through an album, then you're also able to see the (sometimes clarifying) texts.

Some NO-GO thoughts (for me) about other products:

- Apple Photos a) does not have mature support for metadata, b) does not allow you to share smart albums to the Apple TV, c) does not allow my wife access to our photo library, because we have different iCloud-id's (yes, I can share every single album, but that's extra work for both of us, and no, the 'family' solution of Apple is not a solution, because it then shows all photo's without the album/collection structure), d) with a trick I can share smart albums to the Apple TV, but then it seems to sort them in ascending order, while I would like to see them in descending order: latest album at the top, and e) Apple TV does not allow me to structure my albums, or rather: use the album structure that I built in Photos on the Mac.

- Plex and Synology do not support albums (i.e. a way to make a collection of selected photo's)

Best regards, Peter

• 13. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television

I think the AppleTV app would be a great idea. I submitted it as an idea for Adobe to consider here: Give us a LR/Mobile AppleTV app | Photoshop Family Customer Community They actually read the posts on that forum to hunt for ideas and bugs. Consider adding your support to that thread by up voting and/or commenting. Your adobe logon from this forum will work there too.

Also, you can Airplay from your computer and you won't get black bars. That might not be convenient if your computer is not near your TV but is an option. Of course if you have a laptop that will work great. Also Airplay from a recent iPhone on't have black bars either as those have 16:9 ratio screens just like a HDTV. iPads have 4:3 screens, which is where the black bars come from.

Last, consider looking into publish services from Lightroom (instructions here: Export to hard drive using publish services | Lightroom ). This allows you to set up smart collections that automatically get mirrored to a folder structure on your hard disk in jpeg copies of the resolution you desire. You can then share that folder through plex and see your collection structure mirrored on your AppleTV. That's probably a nice solution to your problem. Completely agreed on Photos not being up to the task but I suggested simply as an intermediary between Lightroom and iCloud albums. That is much more work to organize though than synced collections with LR/mobile or published folders and using something like plex.

• 14. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                    PeterMienes Level 1

Great suggestions Jao, Thanks! I'll make sure to support the request for an AppleTV app.

As we speak I'm in the process of starting the trial of Lr!

• 15. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                      john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PeterMienes wrote:

I may just go and trial Lr, and I do hope that the mobile app will also allow me to select collections (which would contain my favorite photo's of an event, eg a holiday) and AirPlay them via my Apple TV. Although this would leave me with the black bars around the photo, it would allow me to present a collection

It's exactly what I do all the time, partly because it's so convenient. I don't want to export stuff, get it in another program, figure out how it works best - and then repeat the process if I subsequently edit the photos or if I decide to change which pics are in the collection. I just ask "do I want these photos on the iPad/iPhone?" and sync them. Then they're just there whatever I may decide to to - showing them someone over lunch, just making a couple of little adjustments when I'm on the train, or if I suddenly decide to show them on the TV. No exporting, no dragging to publish services, no re-exporting and no re-publishing if the pictures change, they're just there.

• 16. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                        PeterMienes Level 1

Sounds good John! Thanks. Importing my 20K photo's now into Lr :-)

• 17. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                          flingo Level 1

You mentioned the Synology NAS in your original post. You may give the Photo Station and Media Server on the Synology NAS a try. This works fine for me: I can watch my photos in the Web Gallery at home or via Internet, on the TV (via DLNA) and in DsPhoto+ app on iPhone, Android and Win phone.

Yes, it is the "Publish" way of doing things, I wrote a Publish plugin for that. It's out for more than a year and now pretty mature: Photo StatLr.

• 18. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                            PeterMienes Level 1

Hi, thanks Flingo, I'm aware of DSphoto: I'm using it ;-) Still haven't found the ideal solution. I had hoped Lr would be the solution. Lr with it's Mobile app has two advantages for me: it offers me a single place to manage my photos from and it allows me to filter on Picked or stars, so that I'm easily able to only present selected photos. Or other times, I just may want to show that one photo that was not picked or does not have a star, so then I want to see all photos in a collection.

Collections are important to me, because of the following: as a mountain leader I am guiding tours with clients. After the trip I have photos created by myself and by one or more clients. I keep them separated in a folder per trip/photographer. Then I merge them into a collection, sorted bij date/time. In Synology I could do that by creating an intelligent album, however, you can not organize intelligent albums into folders or album/collection sets. So both Lr and Synology have no way of presenting a structured view of the collections on the mobile device. And, DSphoto does not allow me to select before presenting. On the other hand, DSphoto does have a great serach facility.

Maybe Synology's DSM 6.0 will bring new features. I do hope though that Adobe will come with a mature mobile solution or even a TVos app. I have therefore supported two enhancement requests:

Collection Sets for Lightroom Mobile = Photo Workflow Perfection | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Search facility needed in LightRoom Mobile. | Photoshop Family Customer Community

I'll make sure to give your plugin a try!, thanks!

• 19. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                              flingo Level 1

Since I'm not familiar with Lr Mobile I cannot really compare these two approaches. But some of the shortcomings of a 'native' Lr export to the PhotoStation (via file share / network drive) you mentioned have been addressed by the plugin:

• it translates face regions, ratings and color labels from Lr to searchable Photo Station tags (pick status not yet, though)
                                              • it is a Publish provider and supports nested Published Collection Set hierarchies
                                              • it supports publishing of photos to tree-structured Photo Station Albums:
                                                • based on it posotion in your local directory layout, or
                                                • derived from any photo metadata accessible from Lr SDK, or
                                                • determined by its position in an exisiting (normal, not Published) Collection Set hierarchies (Collection Set Mirroring)

Just to mention it. But at the end of the day, if DSPhoto is the wrong tool for you, then the plugin won't help you too much.

Martin

• 20. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                                Laura Shoe Adobe Community Professional

For anyone reading this post after July 26, 2016 there is now a Lightroom app for Apple TV - look for it in the app store. Adobe must have listened to you, Jao!

• 21. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I recently purchased a Vizio TV that will simply read JPEG images In a folder on a flash drive and display them. I can scroll through them using the navigation buttons on the TV remote. No Airplay, no computer, no phone, just a flash drive.

• 22. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television

Laura Shoe wrote:

For anyone reading this post after July 26, 2016 there is now a Lightroom app for Apple TV - look for it in the app store. Adobe must have listened to you, Jao!

Yeah they did indeed. The app is great and works really well and is really fast. Quite happy with it. The only thing missing (or I haven't discovered it) is a fill view. It either letterboxes images or zooms in all the way.

• 23. Re: Can I display my Lr photos on my television
                                                      Laura Shoe Adobe Community Professional

Hi Jao, does it have a random-order option for the slideshow?