17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 10:36 PM by cabelloj31004533

What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?

rpoole5 Level 1

I have hundreds of folders that have raw and jpeg files.  The simplistic "treat raw and jpegs as separate files" can not eliminate all the jpeg files since some have slightly different filenames than the raw files (multiple jpeg versions of each raw file).  The only way I can find to easily select only the raw files in a folder is to move all the non-raw files to another directory so Lightroom can't see them, do the import, then move the files back to the original directory.  Needless to say this is way too much work to consider switching to Lightroom if I have to do this for each of many hundreds of folders.  Is there any easy way to filter by filename/extension pattern?  I read about some plug-ins that sound like they should have worked but so far none seem to do the trick.

• 1. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi rpoole,

Other then that you can sort the images as type and move the raw file to other folder and from there you can import the raw files into Lightroom.

"treat raw and jpegs as separate files"

The above option only works when you shoot in both Raw and Jpeg with same file name.

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
            rpoole5 Level 1

That's what I'm afraid of...way too much work to consider using Lightroom.  Shocking that Adobe has ignored customer requests for this feature ever since Lightroom V2!  I doubt I'd use LR even if it were free due to how much work it will be to import my 200,000 images from over 300 folders.  I could just put the new stuff in LR but it seems quite cumbersome to have some images in Bridge/CS6 and some in LR.  Would defeat the search capabilities to keep them split into two different products.  I'll finish my evaluation of LR but I highly doubt I'll find anything that would convince me to purchase it without some sort of import filter.

• 3. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Then stop the camera from recording JPG files. I don't know of any currently available camera that doesn't have the option to shoot, Record, just RAW image data.

If you want to see only RAW images in any given folder all you have to do is use the Filter bar, Metadata option, change the last column to File Type and select the RAW and or Digital Negative entry. All JPG, TIF and PSD files will be filtered out. You can also save that setting as a Preset for the filter bar.

But honestly you are looking for a reason to not like Lightroom instead of learning how to use it and how to use the camera or cameras you own.

The whole idea of LR is to have one program to catalog and display all your images. So if you take a RAW file, make adjustments on it then send it to PS or export it as a JPG you don't want to see those TIF or PSD file and the exported JPG any longer? If that is the case then how would you know which files you already edited, sent to PS and or exported as a JPG.

• 4. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
                rpoole5 Level 1

I guess you should go back and reread my question...no where did I say I shoot in raw + jpeg.  No where did I mention seeing only raw files in folders I've imported.  I asked if there was a way to filter out all but raw files when I do the initial import into LR.  And I damn well know how to use my camera..,probably have been using cameras longer than you have been alive!  Next time try answering the question that was asked or politely offering suggestions rather than giving smart *** answers.  BTW - for the most part I like LR, it just looks like it will be too much work and time to import anything other than 100% of my existing images.  I have a specific reason for wanting to do it my way that you apparently can't comprehend.

• 5. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?

I doubt that. I started using a camera back in 1966 when I was 15. Have a nice day.

• 6. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
                    Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

As has been suggested, use the filter bar.

Set it to show jpg only, select all files, right click and choose Remove, then choose Remove again.

The jpgs will now be removed from the catalog, but will still be in their original folder.

filetype-lr.png

remove.png

• 7. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
                      bhousto90 Level 3

After you open the Import window there is a sort option in the bottom right of the screen.

Change it to "Media Type"

Then Click on Uncheck all, Select your first RAW file, use the scroll bar to get to the last RAW file then while holding down Shift Key select the last RAW file.

Click on one of the checkboxes for any of the RAW files and all will be selected.

Run your import. Proceed to next folder. (If include sub-folders was selected in your import source then you are done)

Filtering vs using Sorting just clears away clutter, but the select RAW files only operation can still be done with minimal fuss.

This is what people do to select or ignore their video files.

• 8. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?

I believe you are slightly mistaken. Sort by Media Type does not put JPG or RAW files before the other, at least not on my system. Media type is different from File Type. Not sure what Adobe is referring to with that Media Type entry. Maybe still images from videos or from different cameras.

There should be a Sort By "File Type" entry for just this "Sort" of thing.

• 9. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
                          Hal P Anderson Level 6

Yep, you're right. Media Type sorts the still images from the movies.

As stated earlier. Just import everything, go into the All Photographs collection, set a filter to only show JPGs, select them all (ctrl-A), and press delete. Then choose the Remove option. Done. No reason to have to move files into other folders and back.

Hal

• 10. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
                            rpoole5 Level 1

Thanks for the help everyone...here is what seems to work...

1. Import everything from a folder using Add

2. Use the Metadata filtering to filter out everything but the JPEGs

3. Select all the JPEGs and remove them from LR

4. Do developing in LR to compare to CS6 results in order to refine custom presets so Import will come close to my current automated processing in CS6.

5. Repeat until custom presets work for the majority of "standard" images

• 11. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?

If you are using the Bridge Photo downloader app to get images from cameras, cards, onto the hard drive LR comes close and you can define a preset that is similar and then Edit that preset with a text editor to be exactly the same. That is the same in folder naming and placement.

Until you describe the exact steps you use to get images on your hard drive no one can be sure LR can mimic it.

• 12. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
                                rpoole5 Level 1

With CS6 I manually copy all the files into a directory.  I then go through all the raw images and rate them 1-3 stars.  1 is for people pictures, 2 is for landscapes, and 3 means I'll manually edit the image.  I then select all 1 star images, load them into ACR and apply the "People" presets and create JPEGs.  I then load all 2 star images into ACR and apply the "Landscapes" preset and create JPEGs.  Then I manually edit all the 3 star images and create JPEGs from a combination of ACR and CS6.  Manual editing is mostly localized corrections, content aware fill/patch, noise reduction via DeNoise, and extra sharpening via Detail.

• 13. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?

You say CS6? What part of CS6?

But yes you can continue doing the exact same thing with LR. You do as you have been doing, manually copying images to a folder on your drive, Open LR and import them with the Add option, Those newly imported images will be in the Catalog area (the right panel in the Library module) under Previous Import (Why Adobe selected to call it Previous Import instead of Current Import God only knows) and will be displayed in the Grid view of the Library module. From there you can Rate them, then select by rating and head over to the Develop module (What LR calls ACR. Same thing, Same function). But you will need to Recreate your ACR presets in a LR format. IIRC the 2 systems, ACR and the LR develop module, use different file extensions for their presets. And I don't think there is any conversion system to port one to the other. But I could be wrong on the last 2 statements.

I just checked and Camera calibrations come over, at least on my system (Not sure If I did something in the 10 years I've been using LR that makes them show up in both ACR and LR), from ACR but not Presets.

But in the end if you can create it in ACR you can create the same in LR.

• 14. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
                                    rpoole5 Level 1

I do the copy with Windows Explorer and the rating with Bridge...is this what you were asking?

• 15. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?

Yes and that is what I figured. Just asking to be sure.

You can do all of that with LR and you can also copy the images from card or camera to your specific folder/directory and or to any folder you like and or create a folder at time of copying and importing. All your steps rolled up into one process, No bouncing around from one program to another.

There is a good article on the net on how to modify a LR import preset with a text editor, Notepad, to do most anything you want.

I had been using the Bridge Photo Downloader app for year to get images from cards to folder of my choosing, The Year, and place the images into subfolders by date shot with the format 02(month)09(day) (0209). In LR that folder creation string isn't available. It wants to do something like 2016-02-09 or something like that. But I edited a preset I created to do the exact folder naming (0209) and place my images in the Year top level folder. So now if I shoot images spanning 2-3-4 days then Copy and Import with LR, LR creates the 2-3-4 folder names and places those folder in the Year top level folder.

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
                                        rpoole5 Level 1

Neat idea!  Thanks for the tip

• 17. Re: What is the best way to import only raw file into Lightroom?
                                          cabelloj31004533 Level 1

Hi rpoole5, so far there is no solution to it, but now my camera has two sd cards so I use one to save my NEF files and the other for jpgs, might not be the answer you has being looking for but is a work around.