5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 9:39 PM by John Waller

Any other retail customers of Lightroom frustrated with not receiving upgrades?

imtnbike

Another great feature "Boundary Wrap" is offered up...ONLY to CC customers.  is my money not good enough or simply not enough to get the upgrades doled out to the apparent first-class CC customer?

Call me old fashioned but I still like to buy my software, not rent it.

• 1. Re: Any other retail customers of Lightroom frustrated with not receiving upgrades?
          Bob Somrak Level 5

If you like old fashioned then by buying the Stand Alone Lightroom you got what you wanted.  Lightroom version 1 thru 5 did not get ANY new features till the next version came out and Lightroom 6 is the same.  If there is a version 7 than you will get the new features when you pay for an upgrade.  If you keep getting all the new features what would be you incentive to pay for an upgrade.  The NEW fashioned CC customers PAY MORE on a monthly basic and get new features when they are released.  This is just two models of vending the software, you chose the old way.

• 2. Re: Any other retail customers of Lightroom frustrated with not receiving upgrades?
            imtnbike Level 1

Bob I respect your position but have to counter that I did get updates with version 4 & 5 as a stand alone product, so I did not get what I wanted (or more importantly, expected).  My cost to buy a retail version at $110 is only $10 off the new fashioned way of rental so cost shouldn't be a factor.

I understand there are two ways to "get" LR...its just that I like to actually get it.  Not rent it.  And right or wrong, I don't like being treated differently now that CC is the new "standard".

Thanks for weighing in. I'm glad the CC model works for you.

• 3. Re: Any other retail customers of Lightroom frustrated with not receiving upgrades?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

And you still get those same Updates that you got with the older versions. LR 6 gets the exact same new camera updates that LR CC 2015 gets. What it doesn't get, and what older versions didn't get, is New Feature upgrades (that is UpGrades). With the older versions there was never any New Features added until a newer version came out. LR 6 is the same.

• 4. Re: Any other retail customers of Lightroom frustrated with not receiving upgrades?
                Bob Somrak Level 5

I never said Lightroom 1 thru 5 didn't get updates, I said new FEATURES.  After the initial purchase of Lr than the upgrades to a new version has been $80 and the normal first purchase has been $150.  I think CC is actually a better deal than the standalone as I get all the new Lightroom features and  Photoshop to boot.  There was an article referenced on the forum a few months ago where the CC model is working very well for Adobe so I don't think using this model will change.  Unfortunately, if there is a change it will probably  be to drop the stand alone version.  Microsoft and other vendors and starting to use this rental model also.   The same way as you do with Lightroom, I still buy the stand alone version of Microsoft Office instead of Office 365 but I don't care if I receive any new features, just bug fixes.  I don't need the new Office features but I must admit the new Lightroom features are really good, especially the Dehaze Brush.  I don't know if there is a right or wrong here, just the way Adobe is doing business. 

• 5. Re: Any other retail customers of Lightroom frustrated with not receiving upgrades?
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

US financial accounting regulations (GAAP for revenue recognition) are one genuine reason for this practice

http://prodesigntools.com/why-creative-cloud-gets-exclusive-features.html

The marketing reason (product envy) is another - and the most obvious reason to the outside observer and end user. But I suspect that revenue recognition is Adobe's real reason.