4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 3:48 PM by Paevo Kelley

Photoshop -> FW workflow - need advice please!

Bob Meador
      I've been using ImageReady CS2 along with Photoshop CS3. Just upgraded to CS4 Design Premium and now I have Fireworks, and am interested to start using it.

In my current workflow, I build web files in Photoshop, save, close, then open in ImageReady and add slices, setting optimization for each slice. I export slices, save, and close the file in ImageReady. Then back to Photoshop for more work, back to ImageReady for more slicing, etc.

How can I do the same thing between Photoshop and Fireworks? It seems like I can't just save as .psd in Fireworks and have it remember slice settings when I come back - is that true, no back and forth?

If so, what's the recommended workflow? Something like this?

1. Build/work in Photoshop.

2. Open in Fireworks, do slicing. Save as....what?

3. Do more work on original Photoshop file. Save.

4. Open in Fireworks and somehow slip the slices from the previous sliced version onto the new Photoshop?

Or...?

Or perhaps I just need to stick to ImageReady CS2?

Any links to articles or tutorials (or prior posts here) on this or similar topics would be very helpful.
        • 1. Re: Photoshop -> FW workflow - need advice please!
          Level 7
          Why have Photoshop in the picture at all if you are going to be using FW?
          Just do it all in FW.

And are you exporting only the images, or HTML too? Be aware that the HTML
          written by either PS or FW is not suitable for production work - it's real
          use is only for rapid prototyping.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Bob Meador" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:got15m$suo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I've been using ImageReady CS2 along with Photoshop CS3. Just upgraded to
          > CS4
          > Design Premium and now I have Fireworks, and am interested to start using
          > it.
          >
          > In my current workflow, I build web files in Photoshop, save, close, then
          > open
          > in ImageReady and add slices, setting optimization for each slice. I
          > export
          > slices, save, and close the file in ImageReady. Then back to Photoshop for
          > more
          > work, back to ImageReady for more slicing, etc.
          >
          > How can I do the same thing between Photoshop and Fireworks? It seems like
          > I
          > can't just save as .psd in Fireworks and have it remember slice settings
          > when I
          > come back - is that true, no back and forth?
          >
          > If so, what's the recommended workflow? Something like this?
          >
          > 1. Build/work in Photoshop.
          >
          > 2. Open in Fireworks, do slicing. Save as....what?
          >
          > 3. Do more work on original Photoshop file. Save.
          >
          > 4. Open in Fireworks and somehow slip the slices from the previous sliced
          > version onto the new Photoshop?
          >
          > Or...?
          >
          > Or perhaps I just need to stick to ImageReady CS2?
          >
          > Any links to articles or tutorials (or prior posts here) on this or
          > similar
          > topics would be very helpful.
          >

• 2. Re: Photoshop -&gt; FW workflow - need advice please!
            Level 7
            Fireworks is much more powerful than ImageReady; it's a complete design
            tool for screen graphics. Unless you have some complex bitmap editing to
            do, you can build your entire design within Fireworks, even make use of
            it's pages feature for mock ups.

And yes, you can open AND save PSD's within Fireworks. FW is pretty good
            at opening PSD files. If you need to open the file again in PS, save it
            as a PSD file while in FW. Photoshop will recognize any guides or slices
            you create while in FW,but it will not pick up any optimization settings.

Bob Meador wrote:
            > I've been using ImageReady CS2 along with Photoshop CS3. Just upgraded to CS4
            > Design Premium and now I have Fireworks, and am interested to start using it.
            >
            > In my current workflow, I build web files in Photoshop, save, close, then open
            > in ImageReady and add slices, setting optimization for each slice. I export
            > slices, save, and close the file in ImageReady. Then back to Photoshop for more
            > work, back to ImageReady for more slicing, etc.
            >
            > How can I do the same thing between Photoshop and Fireworks? It seems like I
            > can't just save as .psd in Fireworks and have it remember slice settings when I
            > come back - is that true, no back and forth?
            >
            > If so, what's the recommended workflow? Something like this?
            >
            > 1. Build/work in Photoshop.
            >
            > 2. Open in Fireworks, do slicing. Save as....what?
            >
            > 3. Do more work on original Photoshop file. Save.
            >
            > 4. Open in Fireworks and somehow slip the slices from the previous sliced
            > version onto the new Photoshop?
            >
            > Or...?
            >
            > Or perhaps I just need to stick to ImageReady CS2?
            >
            > Any links to articles or tutorials (or prior posts here) on this or similar
            > topics would be very helpful.
            >

--
            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            http://www.communityMX.com/
            ---
            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
            ---
            • 3. Re: Photoshop -&gt; FW workflow - need advice please!
              r u a computer guy? Level 1
              I recommend dumping PS and using Fireworks. FYI: I never used FW until this most recent release. It is more productive and all the tools you need are there. Even with the crashes and BS I'm still more productive. My workflow is to comp everything in FW and then route graphics for web slicing or export to Flash for further production in that environment.
              • 4. Re: Photoshop -&gt; FW workflow - need advice please!
                Paevo Kelley Level 2
                I tried slicing PS files in Image Ready for a couple of weeks and it nearly made me abandon web design altogether: it is a time-consuming pain in the arse and nothing more... Then I discovered FW and I began to jump for joy! What ease of use, what simplicity!