3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2016 5:59 AM by Steve Werner

Urgent! Indesign CC, image placement problems with Mac and Windows

domino55 Level 1

Hi

When i tried to place a image or moving the pages to another file, indesign gives the following error.

"Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use"

I tried to rename the file, copy the file or relink the images... Nothing worked... I am positive that it's a problem with mac and windows intregration...

How can i transfer the files without problem from Mac to PC or vice versa.

• 1. Re: Urgent! Indesign CC, image placement problems with Mac and Windows
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm very confused by your explanation of what happened. You're talking about three different things which don't seem to be in any way related: (1) placing an image, (2) moving pages to another file, and (3) Mac and PC integration.

First, tell us what version of InDesign and what exact computer platform you're using. Second, give us a more complete description of what problem placing an image you're having. Does this happen in every file? With every image? What kind of image? And what does that have to do with moving pages (a totally different operation), or with Mac/Windows intergration?

• 2. Re: Urgent! Indesign CC, image placement problems with Mac and Windows
            domino55 Level 1

already solved it...
            Mac OS permission issues.
            Adobe customer service solved the problem

For further explanation, and your comprehension....

1. i create a template for my co-workers on Windows. Give them the files with a flash drive.

2. Coworkers worked on it on Mac...
            3. i took the template back in a flash drive and tried to place some images...

4. Indesign gives me an error saying "Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application."
            5. I tried to relink the images in the document thinking "o.k may be it's a link problem".

6. Indesign gives me an error saying "Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application."

7. I tried to move the pages from the document to another one, thinking " may be i can work around this problem"
            8. Indesign gives me an error saying "Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application."

9. I tried to place another image from another folder

10. Indesign gives me an error saying "Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application."

11. I tried to rename the file and after that changing the folder

12.Indesign gives me an error saying "Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application."

i guess this time there is no confussion in your mind...

to cut the story short, it's a problem generated by permission issues on Mac. It's solved by set the entire Adobe preferences folder and its contents to be read/write, not just read-only.
            In Mac OS: [drive]/Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe
            In Windows [drive]\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

by the way after changing these folders to read/write you need to copy the files you worked on again.

Thanks for your attention...

• 3. Re: Urgent! Indesign CC, image placement problems with Mac and Windows
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I didn't have enough information to understand what was happening. I'm glad you got the help you needed. Good luck.