17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 4:58 AM by Akash Sharma

Very confused...

betterthangreens Level 1

My problem is this.  I have a MAC Laptop and MAC Desktop.  On Friday I purchased LightRoom CC on my Laptop and it's working fine.  All my pictures are on an EXTERNAL hard drive.  I have no backup for the External hard drive and that makes me nervous.  So I installed LightRoom CC on my Desktop, too.  But when I hook up the External Hard drive to the Desktop, not everything shows up on the Desktop in Lightroom, like it does on the Laptop.  No metatags or collections, nothing but the pictures....and there are too many pictures.  I had a lot of duplicates, over 13000 duplicates....I deleted them on the laptop, but they are  not showing as deleted on the Desktop....  So how do I get the desktop to sync and be just like the laptop?  I want the desktop to back up on the desktop and not on the external hard drive, so that I have a copy of everything incase the hard dive crashes....I have plenty of room on the desktop.  Can you please help me get this working correctly?  I really do appreciate your help!  Thank you in advance! 

• 1. Re: Very confused...
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi betterthangreens,

Do you also have your Lightroom Catalog stored on your External drive?

Keeping the catalog and images on a common location for both computer is the best way to share catalog.

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Very confused...
            betterthangreens Level 1

Yes, I think both of them are on the external hard drive as the laptop hard drive is too full for much of anything... 

• 3. Re: Very confused...
              dj_paige Level 9

If you put the catalog file from the laptop on the external drive and then open that external HD catalog file on both the laptop and desktop, you will find that everything is in sync.

Making backups to the desktop ... you'd have to configure Lightroom's catalog backup to do this. You'd also have to somehow create backups from the external HD to the desktop (you can do this using your operating system or better yet, use a third party utility that makes backups on a regular basis, automatically)

• 4. Re: Very confused...
                betterthangreens Level 1

When I hook the external hard drive to the desktop, and open lightroom, it is not the same as on the laptop...no metatarsi or collections...just pictures....  And far too many pictures...I had deleted about 13000 duplicates on the laptop, but when I hook up to the desktop, it has all the duplicates in there....  Can you help me?  Can you log on to my laptop and make sure I have it right, and then log on to my desktop and help me to get it straight?  I'd like to back up on the Desktop hard drive, as a second backup, as I don't have a backup for the external hard drive...is that OK?

• 5. Re: Very confused...
                  dj_paige Level 9

You have to double-click on the Lightroom catalog file on the external HD, regardless of what computer you have it plugged into. You do not double-click on the Lightroom icon.

• 6. Re: Very confused...

As dj_paige,  Ensure that the catalog you have currently open on Laptop is the same as the catalog on Desktop.

When I hook the external hard drive to the desktop, and open lightroom, it is not the same as on the laptop...no metatarsi or collections...just pictures....  And far too many pictures...I had deleted about 13000 duplicates on the laptop, but when I hook up to the desktop

That's because its not the same catalog.

~Akash

• 7. Re: Very confused...
                      betterthangreens Level 1

I will try that...thank you...

• 8. Re: Very confused...
                        betterthangreens Level 1

It is confusing because I first had Lightroom 5 on the computers...and then Friday I bought Lightroom 6 CC, and when I installed Lightroom 6 CC, it made ANOTHER catalog...so I'm confused as to which is which...

• 9. Re: Very confused...
                          betterthangreens Level 1

If I'm able to get the same catalog on both computers, when I work on the desktop, is it OK to back up to the External Drive and then make ANOTHER backup to the Desktop hard drive, so that I have a second copy incase the External hard dive dies?

• 10. Re: Very confused...

I have sent you a Private message.Please check

~Akash

• 11. Re: Very confused...
                              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

betterthangreens wrote:

It is confusing because I first had Lightroom 5 on the computers...and then Friday I bought Lightroom 6 CC, and when I installed Lightroom 6 CC, it made ANOTHER catalog...so I'm confused as to which is which...

Normally the LR 5 catalog file is named Lightroom 5 catalog and the LR CC/6 catalog is named Lightroom Catalog. No number between Lightroom and Catalog.

Simplest thing to do is copy the LR CC/6 catalog to a folder of your choosing (Also copy the Previews folder) then Rename it to Lightroom 6 (or CC) Catalog. Then in LR open the Preferences and in the Default Catalog area on the General tab click the little downward facing triangle and select Other and Browse to the newly Renamed LR CC/6 catalog.

• 12. Re: Very confused...
                                dj_paige Level 9

Akash Sharma wrote:

I have sent you a Private message.Please check

~Akash

Is there some reason this has to be done in private? I'd certainly like to hear the solution, and other readers may find a public solution valuable as well.

• 13. Re: Very confused...
                                  betterthangreens Level 1

Thank you!  Do appreciate all the help from all of you! 

• 14. Re: Very confused...
                                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

betterthangreens wrote:

Thank you!  Do appreciate all the help from all of you!

Let me add if you follow my instructions to Copy, Rename and point LR to the new copied and renamed catalog file you can then safely delete the original.

One of the biggest problems users have is having many catalog files without knowing which one is for what and which version of LR goes with which catalog file. That is why I always rename my catalog file with the LR version number when I Upgrade LR. And I always move it from the default location, which seems to always be in the Users/Username folder, to one I create specifically to hold the LR catalog. Just my way of sorting out all these digital file.

• 15. Re: Very confused...

Hi dj_paige,

betterthangreens had this issue before and we helped her by remotely fixing the issue.To know her Contact details ,I sent a Private message.

~Akash

• 16. Re: Very confused...
                                        dj_paige Level 9

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Akash%20Sharma

So can you state for anyone who is interested what the solution was? Or are you going to keep the solution private? That was my question, what is the solution.

• 17. Re: Very confused...

Harddrive found out to be faulty.

We have advised betterthangreens to replace her external drive.

~Akash