3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 4:18 AM by rob day

URGENT !!!Export a PDF of thumbnails together

marcol19584503

How do I export a PDF of the thumbnails all on one page, like the layout in Indesign??? I need to export a SINGLE PDF page with all the thumbnails like I see them in Indesign but that are high res so I can zoom in and read text. Can not figure it out for the life of me. Can someone please help, I'm sure it's very simple but I've never used Indesign before. Thank you! Need to get this done as soon as possible!!!

• 1. Re: URGENT !!!Export a PDF of thumbnails together
          Migintosh Level 4

I don't know of a way to do this right out of the box, although someone may be able to write you a script if they have the time to do so. If you weren't a beginner, I could tell you how to do it manually, but if you don't know how to get around in the program, it would be really easy to get lost.

• 2. Re: URGENT !!!Export a PDF of thumbnails together
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Marco,

there are several ways you can accomplish this.

1. Export your InDesign document to PDF with PDF/X-4 export settings.

2. Place your PDF page by page on a single page, arrange the "thumbnails" as you wish.

3. Export that page to PDF with PDF/X-4 export settings.

To get step 2 efficiently done, you could prepare empty rectangles in advance for left, right pages with a stroke or even an effect like drop shadow.

The small rectangles should have the same aspect ratio like your PDF pages. You could also set how the rectangles will react to placed images by setting the fittings options of the frames.

To load all PDF pages into the cursor (the placegun) do the following:

1. In the Place dialog chose:
            A. [x] Show Import Options

before selecting the PDF

2. Select the PDF you want to place

3. The Import Options will pop up

Chose [x] All pages

4. Now the cursor is loaded with all PDF pages
            Note: The place gun will not show the number of files loaded, just a little + sign.

5. Place one PDF page after another into your prepared rectangles

Or you can use the "grid method" when the place gun is loaded to create a grid of rectangles holding the PDF pages and place all in one go.

To do this succesfully with a PDF in the placegun, you have to use a trick:

1. In the Place dialog chose:
            A. [x] Show Import Options

B. [x] Use Static Captions (trick one)

before selecting the PDF

2. Select the PDF you want to place

3. The Import Options will pop up

Chose [x] All pages

4. Now the cursor is loaded with all PDF pages plus the Static Captions

Here comes the "grid method" (trick two):

Drag out a rectangle with the cursor, do not let go, and use the Up Arrow key to construct a new row, use the Right Arrow key to construct a column.
            Tab the Arrow keys more than once to define a whole grid of rectangles. The grid's single rectangles should be the number of the PDF pages you want to place or more.

Don't be afraid, that the aspect ratio of the rectangles in the grid will not fit your PDF pages.

If you are satisfied with order, height and width of the grid, let lose!

All PDF pages should be placed now in one go. Maybe along with some Static Captions. You can get rid of them later.

If the cursor is still holding some of the Static Captions, you can get rid of them in one go:

Simply change the tool to the Selection Tool.

Afterwards you can add stroke weights to the rectangles and fitting options as you like.
            Eg.: Fit frame to contents.

Yet another method will imply to print to PostScript and distill a PDF out of this PostScript file.
            But this is a different story.

Uwe