2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2016 6:03 PM by jamesg1785192

I'm running a Dell XPS9100, Core i7, 24GB RAM and Radeon HD 5670.    The 5670 has been adequate, but not great.   Now that I am doing multi-camera editing, it is just about impossible to work with.

jamesg1785192

Dell XPS 9100

Core i7

24GB RAM 

Radeon HD 5670.   

Windows 10

The 5670 has been adequate, but not great.   Now that I am doing multi-camera editing, it is just about impossible to work with.

I am looking to replace the GPU ASAP.   The "System Requirements" suggests a couple dozen or more.   Can someone help narrow down the field for me?

I hope I can do something for under $500.    HDMI outputs for both the Main and Extension Monitors would be great, but not critical.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: I'm running a Dell XPS9100, Core i7, 24GB RAM and Radeon HD 5670.    The 5670 has been adequate, but not great.   Now that I am doing multi-camera editing, it is just about impossible to work with.
          JFPhoton Level 3

We need to know the exact CPU you have.....there is a RANGE of different CPUs for the 9100....the base model is weak and the "max " version 990X would still give OK performance, but, not great compared to recent PCs.  Your machine IS OLD and has "old" technology like PCI gen. 2 instead of gen. 3.

However, if the power supply is strong enough, you may be able to overclock that CPU, if it is the 990X, to 4.4 Ghz to achieve a significant performance gain. ......that CPU was supposed to have come with a beefy cooler to handle this overclocking and it is a 6 core , 12 thread CPU, which is great !      See :     Overclocking - The Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Processor Review

An NVidia GPU, ( NO AMD ), only provides "MercuryPlayback Acceleration" on certain specific effects,or, operations like scaling and others.  handling multi - cameras may be a CPU intensive task along with your DRIVE SYSTEM which must keep up in delivering a high enough speed to serve up the multiple video streams.

Assuming you HAVE the 990X,or, can find a used one to install for cheap......a 4GB NVidia 970 would be a good choice for the GPU.  A 980 ti would probably be overkill for your older machine and would not be recommended.

Your next task would be to make sure your drive speeds are good enough for multi - cam playback.  We have no info from you here,but, it is safe to say that  you probably have SATA II and not SATA III ports for your HDDs.  Forget spinning, mechanical HDDs. Create a RAID 0 off the motherboard of several cheap SSDs to handle ALL your files except what would go on a separate "boot drive" SSD

The "boot drive" would only have the OS, programs, and Windows page file on it. Your RAID 0 can be backed up with a large "Enterprise level" HDD....many are available with 128MB caches that do over 200 MB/sec sequential transfer rates for a reasonable price. Maybe you can find a batch of old Crucial or Corsair SATA II SSDs for cheap.

Keep in mind that your machine is OLD and will need to be replaced at some point,but, you maybe can squeeze some life out of it yet !

Test your machine at PPBM7.com on the benchmark test for video editing using Premiere Pro. Use the free "Piriform Speccy" program to get a detailed description of you system, which you can share here, or anywhere, with others who can help identify potential problems with your system.

• 2. Re: I'm running a Dell XPS9100, Core i7, 24GB RAM and Radeon HD 5670.    The 5670 has been adequate, but not great.   Now that I am doing multi-camera editing, it is just about impossible to work with.
            jamesg1785192 Level 1

Thanks for that reply..

YES, it is about 5 years old, which makes it about 35 in CPU years.     And I think you've answered the questions that's been in my mind.   Do I keep trying to patch this one up, or go for a new one.   I think it might be time to make a move.   

New Topic:  Should I be thinking Dell, Alienware,?  what are the options?   Are there mfg who make a box ready to run PP CC 2015 at max performance?  Or am I gonna have to get one custom built?