3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 1:33 PM by CoSA_DaveS

Question about Cycle Layers and layer order in Ps.

alphawolf78 Level 1

Is it intentional that the order of the sequence in Ps is top-down as opposed to bottom-up when using Cycle Layers? When I create a sequence for Cycle Layers and the first layer is at the bottom and sequential moves up in PS, and then import to Ch and apply a Cycle Layer Behavior, the animation plays backwards. This seems counter intuitive to the typical structure of Ps layers.

• 1. Re: Question about Cycle Layers and layer order in Ps.
          CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

It is intentional, but we could make it an option to go either way. Any other votes for this? What workflow are you using in PS such that the top layer is last instead of first?

BTW, in PS you can use Layer > Arrange > Reverse as a workaround in the meantime.

• 2. Re: Question about Cycle Layers and layer order in Ps.
            alphawolf78 Level 1

Thanks again, Dave! Sorry for the duplicative question between this and in the Live Demo. I didn't know there was a Reverse Layers function in Ps, so I will definitely check that out.

My process is similar, for different methods. If I create a pose in Ps, I would create a new layer and change the pose, so that works from bottom-upwards. I then use opacity to "onion skin" the character to see the changes. I have another method, which I'll reveal another time where I end up with multiple poses in different PSD files, and then I cope and paste them into my character document, so each time I paste, it creates a new layer on top of the previous one. I'm not sure why people have said top-down works better because you are working against the way Ps naturally works. I would be curious what the reasoning that other people said the want it top-down.

However, if people do have a valid reason for both methods, then the simplest and best solution would be to have an option in the Cycle Layers Behavior to reverse the order, one way or the other.

Thanks,

Dave Wolf

• 3. Re: Question about Cycle Layers and layer order in Ps.
              CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

Preview 4 (no date yet) will have a new option Layer Order with two choices: Top to Bottom and Bottom to Top.