9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 8:04 PM by RoninEdits

Help me tweak this build?

JasonFarris1970

Guys, help me tweak this build. I do lot of AfterEffects including Element3d / Cinema4D, editing in Premiere, grading in Resolve.

Mostly CinemaDNG and ProRes, 1080p. Hoping this can handle some 4k work too. This will be about $3300, any bottlenecks here?

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor
      MSI X99A SLI PLUS LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
      CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300)
      EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
      Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm
      Rosewill Photon-750, PHOTON Series 750W Full Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified

Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 2.5" 1TB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (OS, Software, paging)
      SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB (cache)
      SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB (media)
      WD Black 5TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive (local storage)

We already back up to external NAS.

• 1. Re: Help me tweak this build?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

looks balanced from what i can tell for the programs you list. the next upgrade would probably be the broadwell-e 10 core i7-6950X and/or another gtx 980 ti.

you may already know this, but adding another gpu would require davinci resolve studio.

consider changing the water cooler for a noctua d15. air doesn't leak and is easier to replace a fan vs entire aio cooler when it fails.

i don't see a case listed, make sure you get one with good air flow... phanteks, corsair, and fractal design make some good ones.

if you have enough space on the 950 pro cache drive, you can use it for the os/apps/pagefile too. you can disable hibernation and limit the pagefile size so its not so large. if you can do that, it would remove the need for the mushkin drive. if not, you might consider a 512gb samsung 850 pro for the os/apps/pagefile drive.

its not worth adding more risk to frying components like the mbd and/or cpu to save $50-100 on a cheap value brand psu...  a high quality gold or better, 1k watt or higher, is better for overclocking and adds flexibility for another gpu. evga gs, g2, ps, p2, and t2, seasonic x and platinum series, or any gold or higher rated XFX brand are good options. the corsair RMi or RMx or higher are ok to good, but the RM series without the i or x are not good models.

if you are planning on using a blackmagic display card, you may not be able to add a second gpu with the motherboard you have listed. it looks like it supports 3 cards and the m.2 slot. so 1 gpu, 1 blackmagic display, 1 m.2 adapter pcie card, and 1 m.2 slot ssd would be all the motherboard appears to handle. if no plans on using a blackmagic card, then that slot could be used for a second gpu or other card. you can look at the manual to try and get an idea of how its using the lanes with the slots. if you think you need more expansion, changing the 950 pro cache drive to a sata ssd or sata ssd mbd raid 0, can free up one usable slot. the 1tb 950 pro was suppose to be released soon, but i don't know when it will be released. using a samsung 950 pro 1tb for both cache and media could be another option to free up one pcie slot. going with another motherboard and 40 lane cpu may be needed for more usable expansion slots/options. if you think the cpu and gpu upgrade will come later, and you want more usable expansion slots later too, then at least having the right motherboard now will prepare the system for those upgrades.

• 2. Re: Help me tweak this build?
            JasonFarris1970 Level 1

Rosewill RSV L4000 rackmount chassis

Switching over to Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI for I understand it's a better USB 3.1 chipset

I have Resolve dongle if that's what you mean.

I thought Gold 750w would be enough but you think higher?

Right now I'm shying away from a second GPU as the SLI config I have now hasn't been as reliable as I'd like, focusing on a single card solution (that I can afford).

I'll probably just build a second box before I spend $1500 on a broadwell upgrade + $600 second gpu... rather have two 6-core machines than one 10-core, but cross that bridge when we come to it.

My thinking was that cache on one 950 and media on another so they wouldn't be fighting for bandwidth from the same disk. Do you think that's overkill? Conventional SSDs certainly are cheaper and don't take up slots.

• 3. Re: Help me tweak this build?

the resolve dongle is for the paid version, and what i was talking about. they renamed the paid version to "studio"...

the noctua d15 probably wont fit in that case, im not sure how the corsair aio would work in there without some modding either...

the 128gb of ram seems high, but i figured you have a reason for it. otherwise going with 64gb (4x16gb) may be fine and still leaves upgrading to 128gb as an option later.

the gigabyte board looks good, the only hesitation see is with the m.2 slot. it says it will disable motherboard raid when using the m.2. so if you wanted to use the mbd raid 0 for cache drives or something else, that wouldn't be an option when using the m.2 slot. other than that it appears to be similar to the msi for the 5820k's 28 lanes, 3 cards and m.2 slot. the motherboard manuals should have more info if you want to look...

if you can fit the cache and media on the 950 pro, it should be fine. that samsung 950 pro is very fast, and the x4 m.2 interface has very high bandwidth. depending on the workload it can be several times faster than single sata ssd's. the sata 850 pro is a good option to free up pcie resources and/or free up some workload on the 950 pro. if you don't need the extra pcie slot, a second 950 pro is still an option for cache.

the other benefit of offloading the cache drive to another m.2 or sata drive is reduced workload on the media 950 pro, to avoid reduced performance from thermal throttling. the rosewill case looks like it has good airflow, so it may be fine. adding a heatsink to the 950 pro is sometimes done to help temps. i haven't seen any heatsink kits for motherboard m.2 slots, just custom mods. a pcie m.2 adapter opens up options for ready made heatsinks, but can also limit expansion as it takes up a pcie slot. there are a couple of pcie adapters with heatsinks, like this one Amazon.com: Angelbird PX1 PCIe x4 adapter for PCIe M.2 SSDs: Computers & Accessories

750w would be enough for cpu and single gtx 980 ti, but i would at least try for 850w. the higher you plan to overclock, the higher quality you will want to achieve a higher stable overclock and less risk of damage to any components. the list of brands i listed above are just a few of the good ones to consider, to pick by brand or by sales. for example, the rosewill you list is $70 after rebates, but this EVGA 750 platinum is only $90 after rebates, and has 10-year warranty. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83U89934

• 4. Re: Help me tweak this build?
                JasonFarris1970 Level 1

I think Motherboard is where I'm least knowledgeable right now. I'm getting a big case, so size isn't too much a factor, and I want 128GB ram so that limits me to 8-memslot boards, and I do want USB3.1 and or Thunderbolt. What's the boss pick?

I'll beef up the power supply.

It sounds to me like your saying that Premiere / AE's cache isn't really going to need the speed of the 950, which if I'm interpreting right is because it's only ever pulling in one "layer" of video, being the already munched data? I can see media needing the speed as there could be many layers being pulled concurrently, but is that true of the cache? I'm still a little confused here as to what is "ideal".

128GB may be high. The system I use now is 32GB and I've hit the wall more than once especially rendering 3D... so I figure just go all out on ram. It's about $300 difference between 64GB and 128GB, is there somewhere that $300 is better spent? I guess I could go Titan but it doesn't seem to have that many more cuda cores for the extra $400.

• 5. Re: Help me tweak this build?

you might have read this new thread on the gigabyte mbd Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI the first X99 board with Intels USB 3.1/TB3 controller

while there is no listed thunderbolt feature, its suggested that its there and can be turned on with a driver from another mbd, and may get its own driver soon. thunderbolt is way more advanced than usb, and should replace it. thunderbolt is so powerful, several vendors are now making thunderbolt eGpu boxes. anyone with a laptop without a powerful gpu or mac with amd, can now use egpu and gpu card of their choice to handle their software needs.

i was trying to find more info on the mbd, and on gigabytes website they have this:  * Theoretical Bandwidth, M.2 Bandwidth may vary by CPU model.

i can't really find anything on that in the manual. whats the limitation, and with which cpu's? i dunno... it may be very important to find out before you buy that mbd.

the cache drive depends on what its being used for. you have several programs that may all be using that drive for cache and scratch in various ways. that could be multiple programs cache files, premiere's preview render files, AE's disk cache, and/or resolve's db. many of those files may be accessed at once, so its not necessarily just one layer of video. most of the cache files are very small indexing files, so latency can also impact performance. the sata samsung 850 pro's have low latency for sata drives, and are regularly recommended for cache drives here by several folks. if you are looking for a no-compromise drive, the 950 pro is multiple times better than the 850 pro for 50% more cost.

i was thinking what to do with the extra money, and nothing sticks out for $300. the titan x would only be good if the 12gb is needed, say for resolve, but it seems many do fine with the 6gb on the gtx 980 ti. the i7-5960x would be the best upgrade for AE and programs that really use cpu over gpu, but its also $600 more.

• 6. Re: Help me tweak this build?
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RoninEdits wrote:

i was trying to find more info on the mbd, and on gigabytes website they have this:  * Theoretical Bandwidth, M.2 Bandwidth may vary by CPU model.

i can't really find anything on that in the manual. whats the limitation, and with which cpu's? i dunno... it may be very important to find out before you buy that mbd.

My guess is that with the i7-5820k and only 28 available PCIe lanes that the M.2 slot would drop back to x2 instead of x4.  You probably would have to step up to the i7-5930K to get full speed out of the M.2 device.

• 7. Re: Help me tweak this build?

yeah, i can't tell for sure from the manual. it doesn't seem as clear as other mfg's manuals. it looks like it says the 5820k 28 lanes will split to x8/x8/x8 leaving 4 available. looks like the 59xxx 40 lanes will split to x8/x8/x16/x8 with nothing left over. so perhaps its the 40 lane cpu's that will run out of lanes with enough cards in use. it doesn't say if the m.2 slot is sharing resources with any of the pcie slots. it might be similar to the msi motherboard that has the same m.2 issue with the 40 lane cpu's, and the m.2 is shared with the last pcie slot. funny how that left over 4 lanes on the 28 lane cpu is a perfect match for x4 m.2...

• 8. Re: Help me tweak this build?
                        JasonFarris1970 Level 1

Is there a motherboard that's hand's down the better choice?

• 9. Re: Help me tweak this build?

the $400 asus x99 deluxe usb 3.1 version has more switching, to allow a 40 lane cpu do more, but its only 6 slots so it may require careful planing to use them all. for a 28 lane cpu, it won't really gain anything over the gigabyte or msi mbd. with a 40 lane cpu it may offer 1 more available slot vs the gigabyte. for just over $500, the asus WS usb 3.1 is much better. it has 7 slots and a plx chip. it can handle just about any configuration. it seems to be out of stock, maybe they are preparing a new version...

i haven't looked at many others besides the asus, as many aren't thunderbolt ready, or missing usb 3.1, or missing x4 m.2. asrock's motherboards seem to have very similar ones to the asus, but not all have those features. that was the hope for this gigabyte mbd, that its using the new intel chip for usb3.1 and thunderbolt, and had a good m.2 slot. i was hoping to find a review to clear up the thunderbolt and m.2 slot questions i have, but it seems too new to have any reviews yet.