5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 3:18 AM by Rick Gerard

Audio problem, no realtime playback in preview

Marvel Feranti

Hi,

In AE CC2015 it seems impossible to get a realtime preview.

Audio stutters an glitches and the latest update (13.7.0.124) does not solve this issue.

Does anyone know how to get a realtime preview?

Thanks,

Nils

• 1. Re: Audio problem, no realtime playback in preview
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What OS are you using?

If it's El Capitan, there is an issue with playback that Adobe is aware of. There is a fix targeted for the next update, but in the meantime you can workaround it by hiding your preview time indicator during preview. Easiest way to do it is by making your composition panel full screen by pressing the ` (grave) key (same key as the ~ [tilde] key on US English keyboards). More info from Todd K.'s post here: Re: After Effects 2015 won't preview in real time after El Capitan update.

• 2. Re: Audio problem, no realtime playback in preview
            Marvel Feranti Level 1

Thanks Szalam,

It did not work for me, i work on an I-mac from 2012 intelcore i7with el captain installed.

I reinstalled AE CC 2014, i guess we just have to wait untill Adobe fixes this problem for real.

Kind regards,

Nils

• 3. Re: Audio problem, no realtime playback in preview
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try adding the Render cue to the bottom of the timeline then reduce the Render Cue panel as much as you can. Looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 2.29.20 AM.png

• 4. Re: Audio problem, no realtime playback in preview
                Marvel Feranti Level 1

Thanks Rick,

It's actually a little better but we are not out of the woods yet...

Curious thing is also that AE CC 2015 does not, and i repeat Does not preview fullscreen.(i ticked the box, see preview)

I'm only working on some basic animation with shapelayers not very spectacular in any way i think.

Well thanks anyway, for know i return working on AE CC 2014 untill Adobe finds the answer to this problem.

Kind regards!

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 11.52.47 AM.png

• 5. Re: Audio problem, no realtime playback in preview
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure you are up do date. I get real time full screen playback all the time. Or at least when I check full screen. I seldom of ever do a full resolution full screen preview that is more than 2 or 3 seconds. I can't afford the time.

Here's my workflow.

• Set the Comp Panel resolution to Auto
                  • Pick the workspace I want to use for the task at hand
                  • Set up my animation with no effects and motion blur turned off at a magnification factor that's just big enough that I can see how the timing works. I call this a pencil test.
                  • Ram preview the pencil test to make sure the motion is OK
                  • Add the effects, turn on motion blur, and check a few critical frames to verify my look and feel at Full Resolution
                  • If absolutely necessary set a work area that covers just the critical parts of the animation or effect and do a full resolution full screen Ram Preview
                  • Send the Comp to the Adobe Media Encoder for rendering. Usually I'm rendering mp4's using the YouTube HD preset to send to clients or coworkers for review
                  • While the AME is rendering I start the next comp
                  • When the render is complete I test the render using the media player at full screen.

Planning back the Render is the only way you can judge the final quality of your product. RAM previews LIE all the time. You can only judge your final product is when it's rendered to the delivery format. If your project is headed for a theater you can't tell how it will really look unless you run it through a projector. Judder and other potential problems may only appear when you see it on the big screen.

The advantage of this workflow is that when I'm working on a team I can usually turn out 20 to 30% more work than anyone else because I am not wasting time doing a bunch of high resolution ram previews. When you get a little experience you are going to know exactly what you are going to get much sooner in the process.

If AE, or even Premiere Pro (I set up things all the time in PPro that require rendering) was capable of delivering real time performance at full resolution all the time I probably would still do my pencil test, check the action and flow of the scene, do the polish and send the project to render without checking the whole thing in real time. This is probably becauseI started in the business editing film with a supple of rewinds, a sync block and a Moviscope. You got used to knowing what you were going to get before you sent anything to the lab for processing because you had to wait for the film to be processed and load it up in the projector or film chain before you really knew what you had created.