7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 11:10 PM by ssprengel

Importing from a Catalog - path for new images

kathaemert

I regularly export out catalogs for retouching and then import them back in when the retoucher has completed the work.  The retouchers does LR edits first and opens as necessary into Photoshop (creating new edited tiff files).  What I didn't realize was that I was importing in new photos to an inaccurate file structure location.  The temporary LR catalog resides on a cloud-based server.

All of my sessions are located on my external drive called "G-Raid-Studio"

The original file location looks like this:
      /G-Raid-Studio/2016 Sessions/session name/Raw Preview/image_file.dng

When I import in the temporary session catalog back into my main LR catalog, the LR Dialog gives these options

Add new photos without moving

**Copy new photos to a new location and import

Do not import new photos

I select the option to copy new photos to a new location and import

This gives me an option to select the destination for the new files.

The lowest level I can select is

/Volumes/G-RAID-Studio

What I need to be able to select is

/Volumes/

How can I get down one more level?  I see no options for selecting /Volumes

If I go with the default lowest level of "/Volumes/G-RAID-Studio' then this is where my images end up:
      /G-RAID-Studio/G-Raid-Studio/2016 Sessions/session name/Raw Preview/image_file.dng

See the second G-RAID-Studio ???? 

How do I accomplish the task of getting the images into the proper folder?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Importing from a Catalog - path for new images
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So the volume name is being interpreted as a top-level folder name at reimport, right?

I don't have a Mac so cannot answer my own questions by trying things, myself, so I have to ask:

First, is it correct that the retoucher and you access the originals from the same location and you're not somehow copying the originals as you export the catalog, to a new location?  Do you have Include Digital Negatives enabled or not when you export the catalog?

If you export the catalog then immediately try to import it, again, does the same thing happen?

Does the retoucher use the same type of computer and connects to the originals the same way you do?

If you directly open the temporary catalog, yourself, either before you send it and again after it comes back from the retoucher in both situations are all the photos offline with an extra G-RAID-Studio in the path or are they ok and it's only when you import from the temporary catalog that the path is wrong?

• 2. Re: Importing from a Catalog - path for new images
            kathaemert Level 1

Yes, it is a top level folder. 

It is NOT correct that the retoucher and I access from the same location.  I access from the G-RAID drive, she accesses it via a cloud service (Like Dropbox).  I bring the catalog changes and the new files back onto the G-RAID drive.

There would be no reason to export out and immediately import back.  There would be no new files to deal with.  The original dng files remain unmoved - they are not the issue.  All dng files work great - it's just the NEW files which cause a file structure problem.

LR exports out a catalog and saves the file path (fine - that's great).  However, I am not able to import the new images into the correct location because I can not select one level below my external drive (G-RAID).  If I select the G-RAID as the lowest path, LR adds to the path

I want them in this directory:
            /G-Raid-Studio/2016 Sessions/session name/Raw Preview/image_file.dng

not this one

/G-RAID-Studio/G-Raid-Studio/2016 Sessions/session name/Raw Preview/image_file.dng

No images are ever off-line.  But the new ones (tiff files or psd files) are never in the correct file location.

I'm pretty sure this is a LR glitch and it would be nice if they would find a way to make it work.

• 3. Re: Importing from a Catalog - path for new images
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

This seems to happen with others that are using a RAID external drive on a Mac and LR. It seems LR can't dig down into the folder structure of RAID external drives during the importing process. Some limitation in LR or the operating system on the RAID array box or a combo of both. Probably some type of permissions problem and or restriction that LR can't get around.

Have you tried import to your internal drive and then moving the files onto the G-RAID drive from inside LR? That might be the only option to get the files where you want them on that external drive.

• 4. Re: Importing from a Catalog - path for new images
                kathaemert Level 1

My original solution was to import without moving and manually move after import. Unfortunately, last week I forgot to move them. I eventually deleted the temp catalog off the cloud drive without realizing I had lost my edits. I'd like to find an EASY way to import. Adobe developers, please help.

• 5. Re: Importing from a Catalog - path for new images

I'm asking questions about reimporting and opening the same catalog before you send it off and after it comes back to determine whether the path in the catalog is wrong, or if the reimport is messed up.  So just because there's no production reason to do it doesn't mean there isn't a diagnostic reason to do it.

Try this:

Export a new test catalog with a single image, the same way you'd do it for the retoucher, just don't send/sync it to them.

Open that catalog on your computer--double-clicking on it should work, do an Edit in PS, save the result as  TIF, shut down LR.  Here you're pretending to be the retoucher but the catalog and photos haven't been synced to the other side and come back, you've just one everything on your side.

Start up LR and Open your original master catalog and reimport the test catalog which should import one new TIF and see a duplicate original if everything is working right.

Is the path ok or does it have a duplicate G-RAID-Studio in it, still?  In other words does the Edit In TIF import properly or not?  If it works ok then the reimport function is ok and it has to be something the retoucher is doing or an artifact of using dropbox for syncing, and I might have further diagnostic things to try.

I am trying to understand if LR is working as designed and just working oddly or if the reimport is actually messed up when importing from a catalog that has a Mac device as the top-level part of it's path.  I'm pretty sure you won't ever be able to click up one level to Volumes and specify the device name as if it is a top-level folder, so the goal is to find out something else to do that works.

Are both the catalog and photos synced via dropbox or just the catalog and the photos are transferred some other way at a different time?

Without it having been spelled out, I would guess that the dropbox folder structure on the retoucher's side has G-RAID-Studio as the top-level folder, and perhaps things would work ok if that top level folder was renamed to something else.  There could be a glitch that when the top-level folder is the same name as the device name it's under that LR is confused when you reimport and the fix could be as simple as doing a Hide Parent Folder in that G-RAID-Studio root folder in LR.  If, on the other hand, there is nothing called G-RAID-Studio as seen by the rretoucher then maybe something else is happening, like the device name uppercase sometimes (G-RAID-STUDIO) and mixed-case other times (G-Raid-Studio) and somewhere in LR it thinks those are different when it should be thinking they are the same.

A question about the retoucher's computer.  Is it a similar Mac to yours or is it a PC or a Mac with a case-sensitive file-system installed?

• 6. Re: Importing from a Catalog - path for new images
                    kathaemert Level 1

My files never leave the cloud.  My editor works on the LR catalog directly from the cloud folder.  (Just like Dropbox, Copy files sync directly to the computer hard drive).  The same thing happens when I edit an image from the temporary catalog and save the new file.

Export from:  G-RAID-Studio/2016 Sessions/session_name/RAW PREVIEW

to Copy/session_name

Within the catalog, the images are still shown at G-RAID-Studio/2016 Sessions/session_name/RAW PREVIEW

The tiff files get saved in RAW PREVIEW with the RAW files.

I can import the RAW image changes directly back into the original catalog with no issues because it already exists in the catalog.

I cannot import the new files into the proper folder because it starts off one level to high and repeats G-RAID within the G-RAID

• 7. Re: Importing from a Catalog - path for new images

I can import the RAW image changes directly back into the original catalog with no issues because it already exists in the catalog.

I cannot import the new files into the proper folder because it starts off one level to high and repeats G-RAID within the G-RAID

So this situation, here, you're referring to your test catalog with one raw image and an Edit In PS TIFF or still about a catalog back from your retoucher?

On Windows, here is what things look like when I do the exercise of exporting a small catalog, editing one photo, and reimporting that one new photo.  My paths in the Import path area are identical to the paths in the LR folder tree under my P: drive.  My drives have drive letters not device names so I can't replicate the situation exactly the same:

Can we see your version of this with the extra G-Raid-Studio in the path, that also shows the device name and the paths down to the folder you're working with?