8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 2:40 PM by dj_paige

Which way I can remove a lightroom file

skdf

Which way I can remove a lightroom file (contain about 800 photos) only, without LR remove photos from other lightroomfiles which includes same photos than this file?

I mean I don't want that LR remove these photos from catalog. I just want to get rid off this file including those 800 photos which already are in LR catalog and several files in hard disk.

Accidentally LR create copys to this file from several other files because I did not choose "Add" in importing process. Or is there any way to undo this last import? Thank you.

-Worried

• 1. Re: Which way I can remove a lightroom file
          skdf Level 1

File = I mean folder

• 2. Re: Which way I can remove a lightroom file
            Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi skdf,

You can right click/ command click on that folder > and choose delete > choose remove from disk if you want the folder to be removed from your hard drive as well or choose remove if you want it to be removed only from the catalog and not your hard drive.

Regards,

Chetna

• 3. Re: Which way I can remove a lightroom file
              skdf Level 1

Hello, thank for your answer. I know that what you said. That is basic which I have done couple of times, but that doesn't solve my problem.

How can I remove the lightroom folder and the pictures from hard drive which are that specific folder, but I don't want that those same photos will disappear from   LR catalog, because those same fotos are in many other LR folder and collections where I want them to be.

I try manually delete folder in outside Lightroom and then lightroom show me that folder with question mark. Then I try to delete empty file but I am afraid that lightroom delete those images also from other LR folders and LR catalog if I accept delete process.

So, can I just undo the import process? Or somehow delete the LR folder without removing photos from LR catalog?

I have several duplicates and also new photos mix up in that "unwanted" folder.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Which way I can remove a lightroom file
                dj_paige Level 9

How can I remove the lightroom folder and the pictures from hard drive which are that specific folder, but I don't want that those same photos will disappear from   LR catalog, because those same fotos are in many other LR folder and collections where I want them to be.

You can't remove a folder from the hard disk, and yet still have the photos in Lightroom. It's impossible. Once the folder is removed from your hard disk, Lightroom can't find the photo, and so you can't use the photo in Lightroom any further.

Can you explain what you want to do in a lot more detail, and also why you want to do it?

• 5. Re: Which way I can remove a lightroom file
                  skdf Level 1

Hi, sorry my bad english.

I try to explain right from the start. My wife import new photos from windows phone to hard drive.

Then she wanted to "add" these photos to lighroom and create a folder inside lightroom which includes these photos, about 200 photos.

Accidentally she import entire desktop with several different folders and when she import them, she accidentally copy them to new folder and not just add them to lighroom. This new folder is in hard drive with several duplicates and also includes some photos which are also earlier imported to lightroom.

I just want to get rid of this file from lightroom and "physically" from hard drive to trashcan  without deleting its photos from lightroom catalog. Because several photos are already in lightroom folders, collections etc.

Easiest way is move the folder to trash can outside lightroom and leave a folder with question mark in lightroom.

But it would be nice to erase the file in lightroom without deleting photos from catalog.

• 6. Re: Which way I can remove a lightroom file
                    dj_paige Level 9

If the new folder contains both new photos and some photos that were earlier imported into Lightroom, you'd have to identify the duplicate photos and other photos you don't want, and then just delete those. This is a manual task. There is no automatic way to do it.

• 7. Re: Which way I can remove a lightroom file
                      skdf Level 1

Okay, but if I manually choose one photo from that "unwanted" folder and delete it. Lightroom will delete it from that folder and also from catalog which means it disappear from all lightroom folders and collections...?

Or is this "identify" some kind of little trick which has it own method in lightroom? Is there for example a tool to choose a duplicates? Thanks.

• 8. Re: Which way I can remove a lightroom file
                        dj_paige Level 9

I think the best thing to do is to restore a backup copy of your catalog before this problem happened.

Otherwise... you need to start making regular and automated backups of your catalog file and your photos.

With regards to eliminating certain photos, the ones that are in collections already will have a "Collection Badge" shown (Ctrl-J on Windows or Cmd-J on Mac and then check the box next to "Thumbnail Badges"), like this:

2016-02-11 17_39_15-Lightroom.png

So you'd probably want to eliminate those that do not have this badge.