6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 6:55 AM by Szalam

Help with switching from SVP to AE and Premiere?

Seth Lawson

I have used Sony Vegas Pro for several years now, however I wanted to branch out my horizons and learn new and better software. After Effects is extremely different than what I am used to. The main thing is that I'm used to applying all of my effects to a specific clip, and using the tracks and such, but AE seems a lot more unorganized and I can't really tell what I'm doing. The multiple compositions don't make sense to me, either. Can someone who has had a similar experience maybe try and assist me because it would be greatly appreciated!

-Seth Corriher

• 1. Re: Help with switching from SVP to AE and Premiere?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects is not video editing software, so if you try to apply what you know about Sony Vegas, it will just get confusing. Premiere Pro is a lot more like Sony Vegas.

After Effects is compositing, motion graphics, and visual effects software. So, it's an entirely different beast. The best thing to do is find a reputable track to learn the foundational basics first. Here's the best (free) resource I know of: Getting started with After Effects

If you don't mind paying for a good education, I've heard good things about Lynda.com's AE courses.

• 2. Re: Help with switching from SVP to AE and Premiere?
            Seth Lawson Level 1

Thank you so much, can you try to explain AE's timeline? I'm not sure how it even works because I'm used to seeing larger thumbnails and the wavelengths in the audio. Also, I'm not really able to pay for any courses, considering the fact that I am only 13, haha. If you wouldn't mind giving some feedback on the things I've done in Sony Vegas, would you mind checking out my instagram page(instagram.com/sallythatgirl64) I make American Horror Story edits . Thanks for the reply!

• 3. Re: Help with switching from SVP to AE and Premiere?

Seth Lawson wrote:

Also, I'm not really able to pay for any courses, considering the fact that I am only 13, haha.

I just assumed you were an industry person due to your writing. You write like someone with respect for themselves and respect for the time of the professionals here on the forum. Thank you for that. You rock.

Seth Lawson wrote:

Thank you so much, can you try to explain AE's timeline?

I can try, but the tutorials at the free resource I linked you to do a much better job considering they're videos built entirely for that purpose. It's a lot easier to explain how to use AE if you have something to look at!

AE is like Photoshop in time. The timeline is made to be a bunch of layers - each asset on its own layer.

AE is for compositing, visual effects, and motion graphics. So, it's intended to be used for short, but complex shots. Whereas Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas are NLE's (non-linear editors). They are intended to be used to cut together much longer pieces. You can use Premiere to make feature-length films. Deadpool was edited on Premiere Pro, for example. They used After Effects during the editing process to do some test compositing work for many of their shots.

Seth Lawson wrote:

If you wouldn't mind giving some feedback on the things I've done in Sony Vegas, would you mind checking out my instagram page

Some of your pieces look really good. You have a good sense of timing with your visuals.

• 4. Re: Help with switching from SVP to AE and Premiere?
                Seth Lawson Level 1

A year later, and I'm finally back on the forums! I never was notified of your response, however what you said is extremely helpful. I just wish I had seen it a year ago, haha. I kind of taught myself that and begun to understand that concept over time, but thank you so much for the closure for my question, and for the compliment in regard to my work!

• 5. Re: Help with switching from SVP to AE and Premiere?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most people I know that start out with After Effects try and use it to edit a movie. AE is designed to create "shots" that  you can't create in a NLE. Using AE to edit a film is a bit like trying to drive a nail with a screwdriver. It's very difficult and doesn't do a good job. More than 90% of my AE comps are seven seconds or less. Those comps are usually rendered and then cut in a NLE like Premiere Pro to make a sequence or a movie. Only very simple comps are ever added to a sequence in Premiere Pro using Dynamic Link. On rare occasions I will assemble a short sequence in AE that is limited to a single sentence of dialogue or a single phrase in the music track but most of the time the only frames that I work on in an AE comp are the frames that will actually be used in the final movie.

• 6. Re: Help with switching from SVP to AE and Premiere?

Seth Lawson wrote:

...thank you so much for the closure for my question, and for the compliment in regard to my work!

You're welcome! Glad to help. If you would be so kind, please press the "Correct answer" button on the post you think provided the best closure for you. That'll help to close the thread out and help other people in the future find the right answer more quickly.