29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2017 11:18 PM by Jammernz

Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?

FleurvM Level 1

I would like to know how to import Edge Animate files into the new Adobe Animate.

I really hope this is possible and somebody knows the way.

• 1. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
          Mohanaraj Adobe Employee

Hi,

Sorry that this is not a supported workflow.

Thanks!

Mohan

• 2. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
            jabbersquat123 Level 1

I understand things change and will attempt not to rant, but just wanted to register my unhappiness with this.  I am happy that Flash was phased out, and Edge was a great attempt at replacing it (if that is what it was), yet it was clunky.  I would also be happy if Animate CC was to be created as an (almost new) program instead of putting band-aids on Edge, only to make it less clunky. 

But whatever the reason for the new program in Animate CC, I am very unhappy that I was convinced to transition to Edge Animate to create HTML5, then not be able to transition any of those projects into the new HTML5 program, Animate CC. I would have been be satisfied with any help in conversion outside of starting from scratch. 

This may not be the best place to register my complaint, yet please know that this is going to be the reason that I will be hand-coding all future projects and not using this product.

• 3. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
              ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

jabbersquat123 wrote:

I am happy that Flash was phased out

Flash was never phased out. Flash is still going strong, and will continue to be for a long time.

• 4. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                just.emma Level 4

Animate CC is Flash CC rebranded; it has nothing to do with Edge.

• 5. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                  jabbersquat123 Level 1

I understand they are somewhat different programs.  But for banner advertising specifically, Adobe Flash was the one program to use.  When HTML5 became the preferred format for ads, I was pushed to transition into using Adobe Edge.  There were many tools to convert previous projects to HTML5.

My complaint is that now Edge Animate is no longer supported and Flash is being rebranded as Animate CC (it is roughly the same name - another argument that it does have something to do with Edge Animate) and there is no tool to help transition previous projects to Animate CC. 

I understand things change.  I made the change from Flash to Edge Animate. I also realize that Adobe can't keep supporting every program.   I was hoping that Adobe would take better care in transitioning back to Flash/Animate CC.  I feel like I'm being jerked around as Adobe is working through it's growing pains of distancing itself from Flash (because they are phasing it out even though it will unfortunately be around for a long time) and wanted them to know.

• 6. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                    eLearning Guy Level 1

I can't fault Adobe for this one. They used the name "Edge" for a reason - they were "bleeding edge" in terms of Adobe's development. In the end, Edge Animate's UI was clunky. I'm thrilled they ditched it and went back to using Flash Pro's UI for HTML5 animations as it's much better.

Keep in mind that very few people really used Edge Animate - most folks moved over to straight javascript libraries for animation. While not ideal for designers, it was the safe alternative.

• 7. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                      caleb_f Level 1

I'm not sure of Adobe's intentions. But Edge Animate definitely became a go-to source for HTML5 Animations. Lynda provided specific tutorials to help people convert from Flash to Edge. Google Doubleclick provided templates and documentation for creating banner ads in Adobe Edge. Regardless of Adobe's intentions, Edge was the easiest (and most powerful) html5 animation tool for designers to use. The UI wasn't clunky, and the timeline/animation features will be missed by all the artists throughout our company. Going back to frames and motions tweens will be a frustrating process. I believe that Adobe has a responsibility to their users to create a way to crossover from Edge to Adobe Animate CC. Especially since they've all but completely deleted Edge from the face of the earth (you have to dig to even download the program). Our company currently has a hundreds of projects built in Edge that may need to undergo a complete rebuild process unless Adobe Releases a way to import ads from Edge into Animate -- or at least a halfway solution where you can import html or oam files in some way.

• 8. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                        Impact1 Level 1

What exactly do you mean this isn't a "supported work flow"? My company used Edge Animate to create a series of animations that are a main feature in an application that we'll be selling for the next 5+ years. It took us over 6 months of time to create all of these animations, and we will need to maintain and update them over the coming years. Are you telling me that Adobe discontinued the tool we used to make them with, and created a replacement tool that is incompatible?

What is the thought process behind this? Edge Animate was already a very buggy application, and we will now have to continue using it 5 years into the future since Animate CC doesn't support Edge's .an files? Surely this can't be right.

• 9. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                          _keyframer Adobe Community Professional

Adobe did not discontinue Edge. They are simply no longer developing it. You can still use it. They did not create a replacement tool. They simply rebranded a tool that's been around for 20 years. It's 2 different things.

• 10. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                            rosebudd Level 3

You can import Animate CC Canvas export projects or anything else like sliders, slideshows, flipbooks etc. into your Edge Animate projects using an iFrame

sym.$("Box").html("<iframe width='300' height='200' src='http://**********/flipbook/' scrolling='no' border='0' border='no' frameBorder='0' ></iframe>");

• 11. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                              Impact1 Level 1

I wish I could still use it, however, I'm one of the many people that have experienced a bug with Edge Animate that causes the app to crash every few minutes. You can read all about it here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1718576?tstart=0

There's still no fix for that, and since the app is now discontinued...err, I mean "no longer being developed", I don't like my chances of Adobe ever fixing the bug at this point.  In that thread everyone's hope after hearing about Edge Animate being discontinued, was that Animate CC would solve our issue.

• 12. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                caleb_f Level 1

At the rate technology continues to change, ceasing to develop can have the same effect as discontinuing. Regardless, anyone wants to build long-term sustainable html5 animations using Adobe Software is going to use the program that adobe is supporting and developing. Using anything less is dangerous and risky. For that reason, it seems companies have no choice but to switch to Adobe animate. And because of that fact, I believe there needs to be some aid provided by Adobe to assist Edge users who will need to jump ship and climb aboard the software that isn't sinking - technologically speaking.

• 13. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?

Adobe never abandoned Flash.

• 14. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                    jomo5280 Level 1

You know what i mean. In this context - a lot of people continued to use Flash and branched out to using HTML5 solutions (Edge animiate) since Flash plugin was dropped from most all browsers like the plague.

• 15. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                      rosebudd Level 3

The beauty of HTML5 once you stop thinking about it as something you create with a particular software is you can mix and match with a little CSS knowledge. Check out some tutorials on CSS that touch on z-index and positioning.

If you were building banners in Edge and feel lost with Animate CC head over to the banner specific forum on GSAP. The GSAP admins reached out to all the main player ad vendors, and are often the first to know. And because they separated the actionscript from the HTML5/JS forum, a long time ago there is no AS3/JS confusion.

Banner Animation - GreenSock

• 16. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                        _keyframer Adobe Community Professional

Where does one get the idea Adobe "abandoned" Flash. If anything they've done the complete opposite. They rebranded it and are improving the product by adding new features. It's still here and here to stay. So "abandoned" is so completely wrong. If you are talking about the Flash Player then again, it has not been abandoned at all. Not sure why this is propagated.

• 17. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?

jomo5280 wrote:

... Flash plugin was dropped from most all browsers like the plague.

That never happened. The only browser of note that dropped Flash plugin support was Chrome for Android.

• 18. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                            caleb_f Level 1

I think the word "abandoned" is intended to explain the degree to which our focus was shifted away from Flash and to Edge. It was a shift in focus that occurred by producing Edge -- high powered html5 animation tool -- to meet the demands of users. Flash is Flash. And Edge is HTML5 -- so if you want HTML5, Edge was your go-to resource from Adobe. Since the Internet is moving over to html5, Edge naturally takes the spotlight -- thereby shifting focus from Flash (which created a natural abandonment by users). However, although Adobe did a great service by producing Edge, they're now doing a diservice by implementing a forced shift in focus by literally abandoning Edge -- the preferred tool for HTML5. Because they've forced this shift, I believe it's their responsibility to provide tools to accomodate the change. Adobe Animate should be able to take on passengers that were previously riding the "lifeboat" that was apparently Edge Animate. It's just hard to get out of the lifeboat when the lifeboat is more "seaworthy" than the main flagship, Adobe Animate... and especially hard, when Adobe isn't throwing down a ladder to help people climb aboard -- if you're tracking with this analogy

• 19. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                              Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This is a misconception. Microsoft build Flash Player into IE 11 and Edge, Google build it into Chrome, Mozilla publicly stated that Flash was going to be the only plugin they support, and that they would work with Adobe to continue its development.

• 20. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                                jomo5280 Level 1

Thank you for clarifying my post for me! We had to shift quickly to mobile solutions years ago, and we had to jump from using years of Flash to using Edge Animate to execute these solutions, as was the major shift to mobile that did not support flash player (and general perception of flash was horrible at that time)  - however, jumping back to a "rebranded" Flash, and killing any progress of all of our legacy Edge Animate projects scares me. That is all.

• 21. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                                  caleb_f Level 1

rosebudd -- I'm with you here. HTML is soooo much bigger than one program. But it's the "bigness" of it that makes it inaccessible to many designers that are not educated in code. Designers need tools that take care of the heavy lifting. Edge did that. I've been able to train artists with no code background to build out complex animations in Edge. Yes -- there's alternative ways of accomplishing html5 animation -- but nothing from Adobe that's as streamlined, powerful, and easy to use as Edge that's being allowed to become obsolete. What I'm asking for is a solution from Adobe for supporters who rely on Adobe's tools. Adobe Animate is not Edge. Not even close. We're willing to be flexible -- we have to be! Otherwise we wouldn't be in the business of technology! But as Adobe pioneers change, I'm providing feedback that they've left a group of Adobe users stranded on an island called "Edge." If Adobe Animate is suddenly their main html5 animation tool -- they need some crossover from their previously main html5 building tool. Right now it feels like they've moved on to Adobe Animate and burned their bridges behind them.

• 22. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                                    Impact1 Level 1

@caleb. Very well said. I tested out Greensock as well as every other Edge competitor before choosing Edge Animate for our team. I felt Edge was the best tool for our designers to use (meaning: not developers). Ironically enough, one of the reasons I chose it over Tumult's Hype is because Edge was an Adobe product, so I was less worried about it going obsolete.  I was worried about a smaller start up getting bought out or shutting down. I'm now regretting that decision so much that I'm starting to think I should start exploring more of Adobe's competitors. If Adobe is unwilling to create some sort of importer tool to convert Edge Animations over to Animation CC files then that might finally be the kick I needed to test out some of the newer tools for our team (cough, Affinity, cough).

• 23. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                                      eLearning Guy Level 1

Choosing a product from Adobe because you think they won't abandon it is a risky proposition, as history shows. Just ask the Authorware, Director, and Fireworks users out there. I'm sure there are others as well, but those are the ones I personally was effected by.

• 24. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?

I'm on the Director prerelease. Don't tell anyone that it's still around...

• 25. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                                          Davide Pepe 2 Level 1

Hi there,

I'm also really disappointed Adobe dropped the develop of Edge Animate. I think it's a wonderful and powerful

software. Also learning it has been really simple. I've never made a website in my life but I've been able to remake my very complex website a friend of mine

made in flash 10 years ago.

If you want to look at it this is the address: http://www.davidepepe.com

If you feel disappointed as well please just add your voice to the petition on the adobe forum to keep Edge animate alive:

https://forums.adobe.com/ideas/4944#comment-126836

I really hope

Best,

Davide

• 26. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                                            eLearning Guy Level 1

Choosing to use Edge Animate for critical production work, given both its name and positioning by Adobe (they were clear from the start that Edge products were not guaranteed to be around, that they were ultimately just testbeds before moving viable features from them to their mainstay apps (Flash/Animate, Dreamweaver, etc.). 

I've been working with Adobe products for many years. They burned many with Authorware, then Director, and Flash (wasn't their fault with the latter). I've learned to not put my eggs in one basket. And especially for HTML5 animations or apps, I certainly would use the best tool for the job, which would be a suitable JS framework. That way it's future-proof.

• 27. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                                              Jammernz

Why would Adobe create such a product and then say it's not a supported workflow

and leave no one able to open or import their current projects into another adobe product to convert to a workable workflow

Adobe have left their users to hang out to dry with no support or options far too often.

We pay for the products we use and adobe abuse their power to change products to destroy working workflows without any support

• 28. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?

Edge Animate is still downloadable for CC subscribers. The entirely different program (but with a confusingly similar name) Adobe Animate is not able to read Edge Animate files, or vice versa. Character Animator is also not able to read the other two file formats.

If you have an Edge Animate workflow that works, you could stay with that way of working.

• 29. Re: Importing Edge Animate files into new Adobe Animate?
                                                                  Jammernz Level 1

Yes it's available but very unusable

My client has hundreds of edge templates that get populated every day for media

edge 2015 is un-useable in Sierra or higher

no patches or updates have been released since it came out of beta 2015.0