5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 6:56 AM by orifuchs

CPU vs More Ram

orifuchs

I'm rebuilding my editing bay and I’ve narrowed it down to two optional CPUs:

Intel Core i7-5960X @ 3.00GHz  or Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.50GHz 

The main question is: is the 5960X performance really worth the 2.5 time the cost?

I work on both Premiere and AE and mostly in 4K and HD.

I guess it comes down to which is the better way to go; 5960X with 32GB of 2800 MHZ DDR4 8GB 2800MHz HyperX Savage Black Kingston or the 5930K with 64GB ram?

Thanks in advance,

Ori

• 1. Re: CPU vs More Ram
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, that's basically the same question like whether speeding on the highway gets you faster from A to B compared to moderate driving. Unless you run full throttle all the time you will see zero difference. AE has too many bottlenecks, anyway and even if you work with 4k in Premiere, it rarely ever maxes out.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CPU vs More Ram
            orifuchs Level 1

I guess the issue could arise especially when exporting
            right?

• 3. Re: CPU vs More Ram
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It could, but even then it remains an open-ended question. You can't circumvent technical limitations in CoDecs/ file I/O plug-ins, Adobe Media Encoder or on a quite general level other factors like drive performance that may prevent you from making full use of your CPU. So unless you can very specifically say "always want to export my 4k footage to YouTube H.264" using this and that setting, these things shall be forever ambiguous and open to interpretation. Different settings will simply behave differently.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CPU vs More Ram
                Mr.K8 Level 1

I had the same dilemma and decided to go with the 5930K and 64GB ram. Why?

a) the 2,5x price difference does not translate to 2.5x speed difference in any software I use (AE, PR, C4D, Mocha, etc..)

b) more ram is always a good thing with the above programs (especially when working in 4K),

c) I decided it to invest the 2,5x price difference in a fast m2 SSD system/application drive and a separate SSD drive for AE disk cache.

Good luck,

K.

• 5. Re: CPU vs More Ram
                  orifuchs Level 1

Mr.K8, I’m leaning towards that choice as well and for the same reasons...