8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 10:59 AM by barnabas255

PSE 8 MAC with CS4 Bridge

barnabas255

I had to reinstall my operation system (Yosemite) and after reinstalling PSE 8 from a CD and downloading Camera Raw 6.2 (which is apparently the latest version for Cannon G10), I can not see the thumbnails for the Camera Raw images.  I have followed the directions on the Adobe download for 6.2 but still no luck.   Anybody old enough to help with this old version of PSE ?  Thank you in advance.

You may email me at tipper@mindspring.com with a reference line PSE 8.

• 2. Re: PSE 8 MAC with CS4 Bridge
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

I think the problem with bridge cs4 is you still have the original camera raw plugin installed, which is camera raw 5.0, which won't read the G10 files.

(the canon G10 requires at least camera raw 5.2)

Photoshop elements 8 and bridge CS4 use two different versions of the camera raw plugin.

Pse 8 can use 6.2 and bridge can use 5.7 and they go in two different locations on your hard drive.

In bridge cs4 go to Adobe Bridge CS4>Camera Raw Preferences and see what version it says at the top of the dialog.

cs4-b1.png

If you install the 5.7 camera raw plugin into

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats

then bridge cs4 should handle the G10 raw files.

• 3. Re: PSE 8 MAC with CS4 Bridge
            barnabas255 Level 1

Hi R,

sorry, I am new to the Forum and couldn’t for the life of me get back to my post and therefore your answer. Glad you used my email, sorry for the spam blocker.

However, I installed Camera Raw 6.2 with I understood is what G10’s latest is.  But it doesn’t work.

Any other suggestions?

Katharina

• 4. Re: PSE 8 MAC with CS4 Bridge

You installed the 6.2 camera raw plugin for photoshop elements 8 itself into

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 8/Plug-Ins/FileFormats

and can open the G10 raw files into pse 8?

If in photoshop elements 8 you open one of your G10 files, what version of camera raw does it say at the top?

62.jpg

In bridge cs4 go to Adobe Bridge CS4>Camera Raw Preferences and see what version it says at the top of the dialog.

cs4-b1.png

• 5. Re: PSE 8 MAC with CS4 Bridge
                barnabas255 Level 1

Hi R.

Meanwhile my PSE does not recognize this type of file.  I.E.  can no longer open and raw thumbnails.  Not sure how this happened.

I installed 6.2 as directed here: 

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4809 <https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4809>

I put it into the root directory MacintoshHD Applications/AdobePhotoshop Elements 8/Plug-Ins/FileFormats

It also shows up in the Finder/Applications/PSE 8/Plugins/FileFormat/Camera Raw 6.2

The instructions also say that if it still doesn’t work :

start Adobe Bridge, choose Tolls > Cache : Purge Central Cache.

But I cannot find Central Cache, it names the actual picture folder, like :Anemone folder.  I am reluctant to do this since it also says:  (what exactly does this mean?)  Is this safe to do and what exactly do delete?

Important: Purging the Central Cache deletes cached thumbnail information for all folders. It also deletes labels, ratings, and rotation settings for read-only files (for example, files on a CD or locked files) or file formats that don't have XMP support.

Very grateful for your further advice.

Katharina

• 6. Re: PSE 8 MAC with CS4 Bridge

If in photoshop elements 8 you go to Photoshop Elements>About Plug-In, is there more than one Camera Raw listed?

Photoshop elements 8 and bridge cs4 use two separate camera raw plugins, so don't worry about the cache right now.

pse-8.png

Also,

cs4-b1.png

• 7. Re: PSE 8 MAC with CS4 Bridge
                    barnabas255 Level 1

Hi R,

In the PSE app  plugins : (a long list) Camera raw is not listed at all. 

I see the Camera Raw plug in only in the Macintosh HD applications folder and in Finder Applications folder.

And sorry, in Bridge Preferences it is still version 5.0.0

Do now I am totally confused.

k

• 8. Re: PSE 8 MAC with CS4 Bridge
                      barnabas255 Level 1

Hi again,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled PSE 8 and then downloaded and installed Camera Raw 5.7 and bingo!  I have all my raw thumbnails back.

In a “hidden” text on the 6. 2 download, I saw that 6.2 is for PSE 8 CS5 (didn’t know PSE 8 ever came with CS5) and 5.7 is specifically for CS4.

I was banging my head against the wall for days.

Thank you for trying to help.

K