10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 12:25 PM by Just Shoot Me

Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????

Robert52

I have a Tif file exporten from Phocus (Hasselblad software) with a size of 156Mb.

I imported it and expected to develop it with the selecties as shown on the screen shot below

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 13.05.34.png

However that is not the case. I saw the development setting as it was a jpeg file , seen screen shot below.

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 13.03.08.png

Who can help me ????

Thanks for helping.

• 1. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the eye dropper tool as most wb choices are only available with raw files.

• 2. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You should really be using the Hasselblad RAW file in LR. Why are you using the supplied software to convert the RAW sensor data to TIF before importing to LR.

If you like using the supplied software then do your WB and other adjustments in that software before exporting to a TIF file.

• 3. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????
              Robert52 Level 1

I did use the Hasselblad RAW file (FFF) directly in LR. The size was around 60 Mb.

Yesterday I was informed that it is better to use the EXPORT functions in Phocus and use the standard TIFF settings.

The file LR will import is now 155 Mb... I expact more details will be saved.....

• 4. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????

Robert52 wrote:

I did use the Hasselblad RAW file (FFF) directly in LR. The size was around 60 Mb.

Yesterday I was informed that it is better to use the EXPORT functions in Phocus and use the standard TIFF settings.

The file LR will import is now 155 Mb... I expact more details will be saved.....

You can't get any more detail than what the sensor of the camera captures and the RAW file the camera produces. Just because the file size is bigger doesn't mean there is any more detail than what the camera sensor captured and what is in the RAW file.

Only convert to TIF when you are ready to print or send the file to a printing service. Which can be done in LR.

A TIF file is bigger for various reasons. A google search will turn up those reasons.

• 5. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Raw files typically have 1-color-per-pixel whereas TIFs would have 3 colors per pixels and/or 16-bits per color per pixel instead of whatever the FFF files have, and the compression of the FFF files and the TIF files might be different so TIFs could easily be much larger than the original raw files even if the pixel dimensions are the same.

What was the rationale for creating the TIF from the FFF?  Unless the TIF has larger pixel dimensions then I don’t see how it could be more detailed, but then again I don’t use that type of camera so there might be a legit reason to do it.  In any case, you cannot adjust the absolute WB unless you are dealing with the raw data.

• 6. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????
                    Robert52 Level 1

Reason for moving from FFF to TIF was that I made changes with Hasselblad's software Phocus. I had the idea that these changes were captured in Tiff.... :-(

• 7. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The long list of white balance options applies only to raw files.

Once your image has been converted to TIF or JPG, the only white balance changes are manual ones.

• 8. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????
                        Hal P Anderson Level 6

Yes, if you use Phocus to edit your raw files, Lightroom won't be able to see those edits unless you save them as a TIFF or JPEG. Personally, I don't use the camera companies' editors, because all of them I've tried have been slow and clunky. You might try importing a raw file into LR and see how you like working with it.

• 9. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????

Robert52 wrote:

Reason for moving from FFF to TIF was that I made changes with Hasselblad's software Phocus. I had the idea that these changes were captured in Tiff.... :-(

All the changes you made in the Phocus software should of been burned in, Applied, Captured, in the resulting TIF file. I have never used or heard of that software before so I have no real knowledge of how it works. But in LR you can Export an image as the Original which will wipe out any edits you did in LR. Maybe that Phocus software has the same type of setting during an export and you used that not knowing what it did.

I'd go back to Phocus and see if the changes you made to the RAW FFF file has been retained. If they have you can export it again and check all the settings in the export dialog window to make sure all your edits are included.

I'm going to investigate this software and see how it works.

• 10. Re: Development of Tiff file only as Standard ????

I didn't see any area in the Export dialog for exporting an original copy without the Phocus edits applied. If you like using the Phocus software to adjust the Hasselblad RAW files I would continue. Just make sure you are satisfied with all the adjustment you have made before you export as TIF.