6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 6:45 AM by BobLevine

indesign installation problem

kallinson17

I bought a new iMac (so latest OS) and transferred lots of stuff over. I noticed most Adobe software didn't open. I eventually cleaned everything out (using Adobe uninstall and cleanup software) and re-downloaded CS Design Premium 4, reload and tried again. Most of the software doesn't open – all except Bridge.

Mostly, I need InDesign. Software seems to be opening, gets to the point of being there or asking for a document ... and then crashes. I have a CS 5.5 update to Indesign, but can't get Indesign 4 to work so that is no good.

I can't understand what the problem is. Any ideas?

Thx

• 1. Re: indesign installation problem
          kallinson17 Level 1

In addition to my post: I looked at the Adobe crash log and found two errors:

Application Specific Information:

terminating with uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error: CMutexObj::CMutexObj init lock error - : No such file or directory

abort() called

and

Logical CPU:     0

Error Code:      0xffffffda

Trap Number:     132

I don't understand these.

• 2. Re: indesign installation problem
            kallinson17 Level 1

OK, in answer to my own query I found this:   "A mutually exclusive (or mutex) lock acts as a protective barrier around a resource. A mutex is a type of semaphore that grants access to only one thread at a time. If a mutex is in use and another thread tries to acquire it, that thread blocks until the mutex is released by its original holder. If multiple threads compete for the same mutex, only one at a time is allowed access to it."

But I still understand what is going on.

• 3. Re: indesign installation problem
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CS4, and for that matter, all perpetual CS versions are unsupported under El Capitan. The older the version, the less likely you'll get it to run.

I'm sorry, but you're completely on your own here.

• 4. Re: indesign installation problem
                kallinson17 Level 1

Thx Bob...But's strange: my old iMac was also running Capitan and there was no problem  – although the actual installations were made under a much earlier version of the OS ... so the answer, by implication is: install under and old system and then update (not very practical). That, in turn, suggests there is an easy answer to this out there somewhere!

Also, I run Indesign 5.5 on my newish Macbook laptop – no problem there ... and I'm sure I purchased it with El Capitan (not sure; it was about two to three months  ago).

• 5. Re: indesign installation problem
                  kallinson17 Level 1

Bob, I think I'll download Yosemite and install it on a drive, try and boot off that and install Adobe again, then switch back to Capitan. Sound like it's worth a try....?

• 6. Re: indesign installation problem
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not to me, but don’t let that stop you.

You never know.