Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unknown security setting blocked Flash Player installation

Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A while ago I requested help on the Adobe Flash Player Forum because I couldn't install it.

Unfortunately I didn't receive a response.....I tried to install the latest version yesterday (a different one) - I encountered exactly the same problem as before.

I decided to open the downloads folder, I right clicked on the Flash Player download and selected 'Properties'.

I found this:

"This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"

I clicked on the "Unblock" option beside it and then successfully installed the latest Flash Player.

Where can I find this security setting please so that I can alter it - I don't recall ever setting it up?

XP SP3 / Firefox ESR 38.5.2 / Flash Player Version 20.0.0.306

Security: Avast Antivirus and CryptoPrevent (set to Default, which I believe doesn't affect installations)

No additional settings made on either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Hi,

This is a setting in your computer, it has nothing to do with Flash Player.  I performed an internet search for "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" and this got many hits.  A few of the top hits were:

1. http://darrenmyher.com/2007/03/22/how-to-permanently-unblock-files-that-came-from-the-internet-sysinternals-streams-utility-zones-vista-and-blocked-files-in-ie/‌
  2. windows - "This file came from another computer..." - how can I unblock all the files in a folder without having to unbl…

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. That is the page I have been using......as mentioned above, I have now managed to install the latest Flash Player after 'unblocking' the security setting on my computer that was preventing installation. I have no idea where this security setting is, I need to know so that I can alter it and not have the same problem in future.

I am asking if anyone knows where this security setting can be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a setting in your computer, it has nothing to do with Flash Player.  I performed an internet search for "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" and this got many hits.  A few of the top hits were:

1. http://darrenmyher.com/2007/03/22/how-to-permanently-unblock-files-that-came-from-the-internet-sysin...‌
  2. windows - "This file came from another computer..." - how can I unblock all the files in a folder wi...‌
  3. disable "This file comes from another computer"‌
  4. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/security-this-file-came-from-an...

I've not tried any of these, and can't speak for their effectiveness.  I recommend you perform your own search and experiment with different solutions or go to visit the following Microsoft sites for assistance:  support.microsoft.com answers.microsoft.com

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for helping me Maria and taking the time to post those useful links.

Seems there is no easy way to disable this setting, but I will look further into the information you have provided.

I did realise the message was coming from my computer when I opened the download file, only wish I had been notified when I first tried to install / update Flash Player. Had I not later decided to open 'Properties' I would never have seen the "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" message and known why I couldn't install it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines