7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 2:28 PM by Kevin-Monahan

best graphics card for 4k production

Bunker27

Hey guys, I am wanting to update my graphics card, I am working on production in Video and Graphics and would like run (2) monitors approx.  28" (2k or 4k) and one large monitor perhaps 50" running the output in a 4k resolution. Anyone care to enlighten me a little.  Thanks!

• 2. Re: best graphics card for 4k production
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The GTX980ti can feed three monitors but it's really pushing the GPU to expect them all to run at more than 1080p - the more work it has to do painting the screens, the less it can do rendering your footage.

A practicable 4K system would use two cards, either GTX980ti or Titan-X. The compute power difference between those cards is very small, but the extra ram in the Titan can help if you're stacking a bunch of effects on a 4K+ timeline, and it can support 5k monitors. Is it worth the extra money? Probably not.

Don't try a high-spec card and a cheap one at the same time. Premiere will work to the limits of the weakest GPU. Be careful about your CPU and motherboard - unless you have the right combination you won't have enough PCIe lanes to drive two x16 cards to their full potential at the same time. Having said all that, for most people the bottleneck is disk read speed - to keep up with a single 980ti displaying 4K ProRes, you'll need a RAID setup.

Something to consider is a dedicated SDI-HDMI PCIe output card that will just drive your big monitor. Premiere will see it for output but won't use it for rendering, so there's more spare capacity in your main GPU to do the effects work. They're cheaper than another GTX card.

• 3. Re: best graphics card for 4k production
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I think a 900 series graphics card for the system, and something like this for the external TV.

T-TAP - Products - AJA Video Systems

• 4. Re: best graphics card for 4k production
              Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

AJA cards don't output 4K over HDMI. Something like an Intensity Pro 4K is the cheapest option.

• 5. Re: best graphics card for 4k production
                BrandedChannels Adobe Community Professional

Hi Dave,

Dave Merchant wrote:

Don't try a high-spec card and a cheap one at the same time. Premiere will work to the limits of the weakest GPU.

So, this means that if you buy a CPU with a built-in GPU, and combine it with a dedicated high end GPU (for rendering GPU accelerated effects), PPro will only use that weakest GPU?

Or does this only apply if you mix two different GPUs: one for rendering out the GUI to the computer monitor (e.g. a GTX 1060 with 6GB) and a dedicated one for rendering GPU accelerated effects and multiple video layers only (GTX 1080 with 8GB)?

I plan on getting a system with a separate 10-bit 4k DeckLink Mini Monitor to the reference monitor. Initially I will have a 4K GUI monitor and a 4K reference monitor. Perhaps later I will get a 3rd monitor.

Please share your view.

• 6. Re: best graphics card for 4k production
                  JFPhoton Level 3

The new 1080ti is expected to come out soon. It will have performance close to that of the Titan X, but, at an expected price range which is far lower.......maybe 8 to 9 hundred bucks. That card should be worth the wait. Unless needing 10 bit output, this single card should be PLENTY for all your needs. Right now, I am powering TWO 2560x1440p IPS monitors running at 60Hz with NO problem off my LAPTOP's GPU, which is an NVidia 765m with 2 GB video memory. One connected to an HDMI 1.3 port , and the other connected to the 1.1 mini displayport. The laptop's 1080p 17.3 inch screen is ALSO running as well!!.....all with NO problems while editing both 1080p and some 4K.

Again, unless 10 bit output is needed, just one high quality NVidia GeForce card like the coming 1080ti should be plenty.

• 7. Re: best graphics card for 4k production
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Bunker,

I moved this legacy post to the Hardware forum. Hope you found a card for your system.

Thanks,
                    Kevin