3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 5:22 AM by nickgripton

Placing a Comp within a Comp = loss of resolution?

the-visuals-team

I am self taught with After Effects. Somethings I know, other things like this I don't understand.

I'm producing an instructional video of a website showing how to log in etc...

I am working with some a screen grab that is captured in 4K on a 5K iMac from the Clients website. When I play it back in VLC it's nice and sharp. When I open it in AE, it's nice and sharp.

The reason I am working with 4k screen captured footage is to allow me to zoom into the footage to show specific details and back out again to the 'wide-shot'.

When I go to make a HDTV 1080x1920 25fps composition and insert the footage in there, scale it down to the comp frame size, I expect to be able to zoom in to the original resolution and for it to be super crisp. But inside the 1080p comp, the footage is pixelating really bad.

Screen shot to show::

This is layer 'S8' which is opened by t's self - displaying at 100% magnification and it's super sharp. Lovely.  (This video file is around 4072 pixels)

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 09.42.59.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------

This is layer S8 within a comp, within a comp. And it looks like hell. You'll need to enlarge to see the difference.

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 09.43.08.png

Anyone got any ideas? Could really do with a hand on this as I'm at a bit of a dead end. I'm sure it's probably something really simple that I've missed.

Thanks

Sam

Mac Book Pro Retina Late 2013, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, VIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB.

AE CC 2015 version 13.6.1.6

• 1. Re: Placing a Comp within a Comp = loss of resolution?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Zooming in 200% clearly isn't useful to judge quality...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Placing a Comp within a Comp = loss of resolution?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Normally you would only judge quality with your Magnification factor set to 100%. 200% may be OK to use on a high resolution display if you check the options for Magnification and Fit up to 200% is shown. This is the case with my MBPro R so something else is going on.

In the top screenshot you are looking at the footage panel and judging a movie with the zoom factor set to 100%. I'm assuming that the footage is scaled down in the comp named 57.

In the bottom screenshot we have no idea at all what you are doing ti layer 4 (Comp 57). Assuming that the layer selected in the timeline is showing the movie scaled to 38% and but the Footage panel not showing the result of that scaling I don't know what the nested comp (Comp 57) looks like. I'm assuming the footage that is scaled is less than half the size it is in the Footage panel. In the Main Comp layer 4 (57) is parented to layer 3 (Scaler 1) and layer 4 does not have collapse transformations turned on. Because I don't know what's going on because none of the modified properties of the layers involved are revealed I can only assume that you have a nested comp that contains footage that has been scaled down to 38% and you have scaled that nested comp up using layer 3 to something more than 100%. Because collapse transformations is not turned on the result is exactly what I would expect. If turning on collapse transformations does not fix the problem then my assumptions are wrong.

To trouble shoot a problem you want to select the layers that are giving you problems, press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties an then start digging.

• 3. Re: Placing a Comp within a Comp = loss of resolution?
              nickgripton Level 1

Also for future reference you don't have any of your comps or layers set to continuously rasterize.

You need to toggle this on and it will allow you to scale vector based objects without any loss of quality. (note that you need to do this inside your comps too)

adobe_raster.jpg