23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 1:52 AM by ICO_at_NeuronsInc

Layer Controls turning off randomly

nickgripton Level 1

Hi All

I've been having a weird problem with afx where my layer controls are turning off randomly. I can't seem to pinpoint exactly when its happening, but it does appear to happen more frequently when I have a lot of comps open or lots of complex animation/layers in a single comp and sometimes when I create a new comp.

I'm well aware that I can press ctl+shift+h to bring them back up, but it gets a bit annoying after its happened 50 times a day.

Any one else getting this issue?

cheers

Nick

• 1. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE are you using? Is it 13.7.0.x?

• 2. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
            nickgripton Level 1

13.7.0.124 but its been happening since the move to version 13

• 3. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly

nickgripton wrote:

13.7.0.124 but its been happening since the move to version 13

Hang on, do you mean 13.5 and later (CC 2015) or do you mean since version 13.0 (CC 2014)?

• 4. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                nickgripton Level 1

Since CC2015. Off topic but funny we're paying for .5 updates these days and not full versions.

• 5. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly

nickgripton wrote:

Since CC2015.

That makes more sense. This is probably a bug in the new architecture. In case you haven't heard (and Adobe's marketing team isn't really announcing it) AE CC 2015 is not business as usual. AE CC 2015 is the first step in a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. This is a big job and it's clearly still in progress. It's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance, but it's taking a while (and multiple versions) for them to get through it. So, during this time of transition as they're introducing elements of the new architecture, sometimes it may be easier to use the older version to get a job done. The AE team has recommended folks keep CC 2014 handy. If nothing else, your projects might render faster with multiprocessing since there's not replacement for it yet in the new architecture... features not available in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7) And you can open your AE CC 2015 projects in CC 2014 with no issues. It's actually quite handy.

nickgripton wrote:

Off topic but funny we're paying for .5 updates these days and not full versions.

In reality, we're not paying for any particular version at all; we're just paying for access in general. We pay for access to every version from CS6 through to now. So you're actually paying for 11, 12, 12.1, 12.2, 13, 13.1, 13.2, 13.5, 13.6, and 13.7 (and all the point updates beyond that too like 13.6.1). In my home studio, I have one machine that has CS5, CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all installed alongside each other. You never know when you'll need to do something for a customer with CS5!

You'll notice that even the x.1.x and x.2.x updates are including new features now. That was never the case before. In fact, it was legally outlawed. (One of the perils of a publicly traded company in the US legal system.) You add up all of these point versions and they add up to more than a full version change. To be honest, I don't understand why CC 2015 was marked 13.5 considering how massive of a change it was under the hood. It's really more like a partly-done beta release of...whatever the version number will be that has the new renderer in it.

• 6. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly

Back on topic, this isn't an issue I'm experiencing. What OS are you using? Does it happen in every project or just complex ones?

• 7. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                      nickgripton Level 1

I'm running windows 10. It does happen on most projects, but happens more often when I have more comps, layers, lots of nulls, etc. I'm still trying to pinpoint the exact moment it happens, but it always seems to catch me by surprise. But generally as my file gets bigger I have to start turning it back on more often.

• 8. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                        rowleyjohn

I have had this same problem for at least as long as the OP. Using a 2015 Mac running OSX El Capitan. It's stupid. Despite frequent updates to latest version of AE they never fix this. Lame! And extremely annoying

• 9. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly

Adobe may not be fixing it because they may not know about it.

I am not experiencing this issue on any of my systems (including Macs running El Capitan), so something must be different on your end.

What version of El Capitan are you running?

What, exact, version of AE are you running?

• 10. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                            nickgripton Level 1

It hadn't had it happen for a while for me... but then it started to happen again this week.

I've covered some of this before but heres when it seems to happen:

1) When I'm using REALLY complicated, heavily parented comps with lots of continuously rasterise layers (500+layers)

2) more often when switch between them in the timeline, 1/2 the time it will open the new comp with no visible handles.

3) when my HDD is getting really full

I would make an uneducated suggestion and say its connected to the cache, but thats a total guess.

Personally I'm running windows 10, and the very latest version of AFX.

• 11. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                              rowleyjohn Level 1

OS - 10.11.5 (15F34)

AE - 13.8.0.144

But I have had this problem for at least six months with different versions of both OS and AE.

• 12. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                                rowleyjohn Level 1

Maybe cache yeah - I'm using massive amounts of PNG sequences and often many layered comps inside many layered comps.

• 13. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly

Does it happen in CC 2014 too or just CC 2015 onward?

• 14. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                                    rowleyjohn Level 1

hello szalam. I never use 2014 since 2015 version. I'd guess that it doesn't

• 15. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly

If you get too frustrated and what to test it out (which would help with troubleshooting), you can install CC 2014 via the Creative Cloud app (details here). Project files are interchangeable between all versions 13.x of AE, so CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3 can all use the same project files without any sort of conversion needed.

• 16. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                                        rowleyjohn Level 1

Thanks but no thanks, my drive space is valuable to me. Will all due respect that's not much of answer to the problem though is it? It's like if I bought a new car and complained to the dealer that there is often an annoying rattling sound and they said, "You can always use your old car"

• 17. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly

rowleyjohn wrote:

Thanks but no thanks, my drive space is valuable to me. Will all due respect that's not much of answer to the problem though is it? It's like if I bought a new car and complained to the dealer that there is often an annoying rattling sound and they said, "You can always use your old car"

Oh, it's definitely not an answer to the problem, but it is a valid troubleshooting step to see if we can identify where the problem is occurring. As I detailed in this post, AE CC 2015 is very, very different under the hood from AE CC 2014, so if it works in one and not the other, that gives us somewhere to look. Whereas if the problem occurs in both versions, we've eliminated a bunch of possible issues and opened the door to other ideas. And it's also very easy to remove to get your hard drive space back.

Besides, if it's less frustrating to use, why not? CC 2014 is included in your subscription fee too. It's more like you're paying a car service a monthly fee for a whole fleet of cars. You would use the car that suits the job. The super-sporty Camaro might be nice for some things, but if I'm going off road, I'm going to grab the keys to a Jeep Wrangler.

• 18. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                                            rowleyjohn Level 1

Your analogy is facile. If it is like a fleet of cars then that means I have to house the fleet of cars and put petrol in them etc etc.

Why should I do adobe's testing for them? How about this incredibly rich company does makes software that isn't constantly broken in some way or other?

• 19. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly

rowleyjohn wrote:

Your analogy is facile. If it is like a fleet of cars then that means I have to house the fleet of cars and put petrol in them etc etc.

I'm sorry you didn't like it, but I thought it was a bit more accurate version of the car analogy.

Besides I think my analogy was pretty appropriate because we don't house the fleet; they reside in the Creative Cloud until we grab the keys and bring them to our garage. We are the ones that give them petrol (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.), but the folks who house the fleet (Adobe) are the ones who should be repairing them (and they are doing repairs, but slower than some of us would like of course [probably slower than they would like, to be honest]).

rowleyjohn wrote:

Why should I do adobe's testing for them? How about this incredibly rich company does makes software that isn't constantly broken in some way or other?

Constantly broken would be annoying for sure. I mean, I don't expect their software to be entirely bug-free (because there's no way to test for every one of the billions of combinations of hardware, OS, and software), but I would like it to have fewer wide-ranging bugs (like the audio-repeat bug with AME encoding that's happening right now). Those bugs that affect EVERYONE are the ones that I find annoying. I'm a lot more forgiving for weird, hard-to-nail down bugs that aren't easily reproducible.

Anyway, our annoyances at Adobe aside, I'd like to help you get your problem sorted. Since neither I, nor Adobe, nor anyone else have the exact same system as you, I'm afraid we must do some troubleshooting to find out what the issue is. If you'd rather not temporarily install CC 2014 to test, could you share a project file that exhibits the problem and I can see if I can recreate it on any of my systems? If I can, I can then try it in CC 2014 on my end to see if that makes a difference and I can try other things to see if I can nail down the issue.

• 20. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                                                rikbogusz Level 1

i've been experiencing the exact same issue, windows 10-anniv update, ae 13.8.1. on this system, i'm quite certain i hadn't seen this as often before the latest update. i've hit ctrl-alt-u to bring up the view options box in the last 2 months than i have in the last 10 years. is there a new keyboard shortcut been assigned to layer controls we keep inadvertently pressing?

• 21. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                                                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Nope. just Control+Shift+H

1 person found this helpful
                                                  • 22. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                                                    rikbogusz Level 1

well, that's a relief. sort of... well, then the switch being flipped off randomly is definitely an issue. i'll add a bug report later today

• 23. Re: Layer Controls turning off randomly
                                                      ICO_at_NeuronsInc

1 year later, nothing has been fixed still. Layer controls still disappearing at random. Good job, Adobe! This is what we are paying you for - random crashes and unpredictable behaviour.