5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 12:25 AM by Nipun Asthana

Can I reinstall Adobe Flash CC after updating it to Animate CC?

brianb40624402 Level 1

I have a Adobe Flash CC file that I am working on.  When I updated to Animate CC I lost the Extensions that are needed to finish the project.

I ether need to:

1. Reinstall Adobe Flash CC

2. Find a way to get the extension installed with Animate CC

• 1. Re: Can I reinstall Adobe Flash CC after updating it to Animate CC?
          Mohanaraj Adobe Employee

Hi,

Both Animate CC and Flash CC can co-exist and you can install from Creative Cloud desktop application by choosing Previous Version filter.

BTW if you have extension files (.zxp) then you can install them for Animate using the Manage Extensions utility. How to install extensions in Animate.

Please see Help > Manage Extensions... menu within Animate for more details.

Thanks!

Mohan

• 2. Re: Can I reinstall Adobe Flash CC after updating it to Animate CC?
            brianb40624402 Level 1

Thank you for the suggestions.  I tried the Extensions utility and it gave me an error. (Could be that I do not have admin rights.) Will look at the Previous Version filter.  But thank you for the help.

• 3. Re: Can I reinstall Adobe Flash CC after updating it to Animate CC?
              chrisgelles Level 2

I ran into this just this morning...

The CC installer just decides to remove Flash CC when you install Animate without a prompt or warning.

A simple dialogue box saying "Do you want to keep your previous installation of Adobe Flash Professional CC?" would have saved a bunch of us some annoyance and wasted time.

Personally, I have a lot of custom-made commands and workarounds.

Fortunately, when it removed Flash Professional, it didn't remove the old Commands folder (MAC):

~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Flash\ CC\ 2015/en_US/Configuration/Commands/

So, I was able to copy it over the new Animate Commands folder (MAC):

~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Animate\ CC\ 2015/en_US/Configuration/Commands/

Additionally, if you want to preserve your custom keyboard shortcuts, you can copy your old ones over your new ones.

Copy the contents of this folder (MAC):

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Flash/2015/Shortcuts/

Into this folder (MAC):

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Animate/2015/Shortcuts/

I'm treading cautiously, anticipating other "surprises."

But, so far, Keyframe Caddy migrated over with the new install. So, I can't complain too much.

Still, I'll be holding my breath when I have to share work with someone who hasn't upgraded...

-cg

• 4. Re: Can I reinstall Adobe Flash CC after updating it to Animate CC?
                chrisgelles Level 2

But, is there an option to keep the old version installed (rather than deleting it and re-installing it via Creative Cloud)?

• 5. Re: Can I reinstall Adobe Flash CC after updating it to Animate CC?
                  Nipun Asthana Adobe Employee

Yes you can!

While updating an Application from Creative Cloud App, once you click on the Update button you get a popup which has a section called 'Advanced options'. Click on that and uncheck the 'Remove Old versions' checkbox and then proceed to update.

Using this, any old versions of the same Application that you may have, won't be uninstalled automatically and will be available independently on your system.

Hope this helps.

-Nipun