15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 10:27 AM by Willi Adelberger

Bad JPGS from Indesign

serged82663538

JPEG's created in Indesign CS4 or 6 are pixelated yet they're high res files and yes high res preview is on. This has never happened before in 20 odd years of experience. Any ideas what might be causing that. I have ditched the defaults and re-installed a couple of times to no avail.

• 1. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Surely you're not "creating" JPEG's in InDesign, but rather exporting InDesign pages as JPEG, correct? So, in order for someone with no access to your desktop to help troubleshoot that process, you'll have to provide more details as to exactly what you're doing, and how you're evaluating the results.

• What platform?
          • What version?
          • Page size?
          • Color management settings?
          • Document color mode?
          • Transparency blend space?
          • Contents? (i.e., placed raster images, embedded raster images, placed vector graphics, native-drawn elements, text)
            • Effective resolution(s)
            • Color space(s)
            • Transparency or blend modes
          • JPEG export settings
          • JPEG viewing/evaluating/printing (application)
          • 2. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign
            serged82663538 Level 1

I am exporting JPGS from a 12 x 9 brochure from IndesignCS6, in CMYK with placed images and vectors at 300 DPI and no transparency or blend mode. The result is a pixelated image and for the program creates 2 images.

• 3. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign
              serged82663538 Level 1

I should add that the JPGS look fine when opened with preview but not in Indesign CS6.

• 4. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign

serged82663538 wrote:

I should add that the JPGS look fine when opened with preview but not in Indesign CS6.

Yes, the fact that you indeed are getting a satisfactory JPEG from the export is rather important.

So would I be correct to infer that you're exporting pages from InDesign as JPEG (which 'look fine when opened with preview'), then Placing them back in InDesign, where they don't look good?

While I can think of workflow scenarios where you'd need to Place a depiction of another publication, I'd contend that there are much better ways to do that than exporting/importing a compressed raster image.

Perhaps you have good reason for your approach, but you still haven't really offered enough detail about your objectives and how you're trying to achieve them.

• 5. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign
                  serged82663538 Level 1

Think portfolio images of previous work in a proposal destined to a client played out in Indesin and exported as PDF files in the end.

• 6. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign

Then for sure you shouldn't be using that JPEG round trip method. You could just Place the native InDesign file, or an exported PDF. JPEG is probably the worst choice of all.

That said, I assume you're judging the outcome as 'pixelated" on-screen in InDesign CS6. That could be due to the fact that you're actually seeing a second-generation JPEG in that case. When you Place an image in InDesign, the program writes a dedicated JPEG preview image (of your already-damaged-by-the-compressed-format JPEG), for display purposes. Even when placing a flawless, uncompressed image, the InDesign preview image is unreliable for evaluation of potential output quality. You'd have to actually output (to print or PDF) to be certain of output quality, good or bad.

• 7. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign
                      serged82663538 Level 1

Native Indesign file sounds good, didn't think of that so will give it a try. By the it's the same problem with EPS, PNG files. I disagree on the idea that JPGS can age—were not talking raster here plus, I've been doing JPGS like that for at least 20 years with no problems.

• 8. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign
                        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

serged82663538 schrieb:

Think portfolio images of previous work in a proposal destined to a client played out in Indesin and exported as PDF files in the end.

If you need to use INDD content in other INDD files, you should export as PDF/X-4 and place it in INDD again. Don't do it with JPGs or any flattened file.

What you should also change, is to use RGB images with Color Profile in InDesign, not CMYK, even for print. This allows you more flexibility.

• 9. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign

...it's the same problem with EPS, PNG files.

I'd expect that. They are also poor choices of format for what you're doing.

I disagree on the idea that JPGS can age—were not talking raster here...

Well, perhaps I wasn't clear enough...and we are indeed talking raster. When a JPEG is written, compression is applied, data is lost, quality is compromised. So by nature a JPEG is a damaged raster image. When you place the already-damaged image in InDesign, InDesign writes another JPEG of the original one, effectively compounding the damage. That's what I meant by "second-generation." It had nothing to do with "age."

• 10. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign

serged82663538 schrieb:

Native Indesign file sounds good, didn't think of that so will give it a try. By the it's the same problem with EPS, PNG files. I disagree on the idea that JPGS can age—were not talking raster here plus, I've been doing JPGS like that for at least 20 years with no problems.

Using a native INDD to place in INDD it should work, but if you change later versions, this could cause unwanted changes.

EPS you should always avoid, use PDF/X-4 instead.

PNG and JPGs are never a good idea for roundtrips as it causes vectors and text to be rasterized, also it flattens the color profile to a single one, but in an INDD file several different can be used with linked content, PNG does not support color management. JPG does not support transparency, PNG only Alpha Transparency.

• 11. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign
                              serged82663538 Level 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but text is vector before being rasterized plus as i said I've done this a million times over the years with no problems.

• 12. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign

But with a JPG Text is rasterized with the image resolution.

With a PDF it is rasterized at the way higher RIP resolution, which results in better quality and would even have a good result in a low resolution output which is often supplied via E-Mail.

• 13. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign

serged82663538 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but text is vector before being rasterized...

On some level, we're miscommunicating. I never asserted a notion that anything but your exported JPEG was raster. Text, and for that matter, everything else on the InDesign page could be vector before JPEG export rasterizes it. Wouldn't it be better if no text, or any other vectors, were rasterized at all?

...plus as i said I've done this a million times over the years with no problems.

Yes, you've come back to that several times. With all due respect, if you've been exporting then re-importing JPEG's...millions of them...for years...as a matter of standard workflow...I'm sorry but you've been doing it incorrectly.

• 14. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign
                                    serged82663538 Level 1

To be clear and with all due respect I have experienced generating, say for example placing a JPEG of an Indesign brochure and then placed it in another document and generated perfect PDF files multiple times. In fact all this was working fine and some of first files were just fine until a few days ago when this all started. Thanks for your help.

• 15. Re: Bad JPGS from Indesign

But your workflow is not good as it decreases quality. A PDF/X-4 is always better than any JPG to place into an INDD if it does contain text or vectors as INDD layouts usually have.

Make a comparison, export an INDD layout as PDF/X-4 and as JPG with highest quality.

Place both of them in 2 INDD files, and export both of them with different output settings, once with a high resolution and once with a low resolution and compare the results in file size and quality.