11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 6:29 AM by sanyamt

Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc

BrianWolverine

Ever since upgrading to Windows 10, our InDesign is constantly crashing.  Thinking that upgrading to the newest version would solve our woes 9as the old version wasn't compatible with Win10, we purchased the latest version, but it hasn't helped.  It's far slower and crashes constantly.  It doesn't matter whether it's a brand-new document or an old one.  It must crash at least every hour (sometimes every 2-3 minutes).

We've done the whole, "hold down ctrl, etc," when starting the program to clear Preferences, etc, but this has made no difference.

The PC is only 2 1/2 years old.  It has 8Gb RAM and has an i7 (370) processor, but we're thinking of buying a new PC, as we're hoping it will solve our woes!

As this is a brand-new, clean install of the latest version of the suite, it doesn't seem that reinstalling the suite will make any difference.  Maybe these are common problems, but if they're not, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Brian

• 1. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc
          BrianWolverine Level 1

NB: Error report as follows:

Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 11.2.0.100, time stamp: 0x564f64a8

Faulting module name: Public.dll, version: 11.2.0.100, time stamp: 0x564f634b

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000079674

Faulting process ID: 0x5a84

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1641062823b3a

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2015\InDesign.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2015\Public.dll

Report ID: d84329c7-3469-4d7c-a250-8ead41e8de81

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

• 2. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What did you upgrade from? I’ve seen quite a few reports of bad upgrades from Win 7. I’ve seen no issues, personally upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 to 10.

You may need to do a clean install.

• 3. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc
              BrianWolverine Level 1

Yes: we upgraded from Windows 7.  We did 50 PCs, and all are OK.  This PC, however, is the only one with InDesign on it.

We may try a clean install, if that is definitely going to fix it.

• 4. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc

Definitely? A bit of a stretch.

But it will eliminate a lot of old junk on the machine. You have to do the upgrade first anyway to ensure activation so you haven’t really lost anything in the way of time.

• 5. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc
                  BrianWolverine Level 1

Sorry, but what do you mean by "You have to do the upgrade first anyway"?

Do I need to deactivate the software before I wipe this PC, ie, if I just start wiping the PC, will it not allow me to install it again, as it's now been installed on a different computer?

• 6. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc

In order to assure that you can do a clean install of Windows 10 using your prior Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key, you have to install Windows 10 as an upgrade first. That will activate and the Microsoft servers will see it as legit.

When you do the clean install, you'll use the same key to activate Windows 10.

Finally, I just reread all of this and I see you say you "purchased the latest version." Latest version of what?

I ask because CS6 is not supported at all under Windows 10 (though I have it installed here and it's worked for the few things I've needed it for).

Only the latest version of Creative Cloud software is supported and that would only require you to sign out before wiping the machine. Even if you forgot it's simple online procedure to deactivate an older installation.

• 7. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc
                      BrianWolverine Level 1

We purchased the latest Creative Cloud version, precisely because we were having so many issues with CS6, but it didn't fix our woes: the new version crashes as often as the old one.

I thought the CC could only be installed on 2 PCs, but you could then run just one instance at a time?

• 8. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc

Legally CC can be installed and active on two machines for one user for non-concurrent use.

Obviously there is no way to know if that one user requirement is being adhered to. IOW, it’s the honor system.

My point about deactivation, especially with CC, is that it’s a simple matter to activate a new install and deactivate an old one online.

BTW, I still think your issues are from the Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade and a clean install should help.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc
                          bill@research Level 1

Are you working on files stored locally on the PC or from a network location!! Only reason being is that I have been having the same problem but it only crashes when working on files across the network, copy the files locally and work on them no crashing. When I spoke to technical about the error message above they said that Public.dll is a file specific crash log. They basically went on to tell me that the issue might relate to policies setup on your network. I am not sure what policies they are talking about but we do have DFS setup and wondering if this may be causing the problem, but that's for us to investigate just thought I would share what I have been told by there support.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc
                            jasonp-123

We have the same issue with InDesing 2015 that it keep crashing. We called the Adobe technical support to no avail except telling us to copy the file locally. Please let me know if you guys have any solution with this error public.dll.

• 11. Re: Constant crashing, new docs, old docs, etc
                              sanyamt Adobe Employee

Hi Jason,

Please upgrade to latest version of CC2015.4. It has improved stability while working with network files.

Please refer to the "https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/indesign/using/whats-new.html#june_2016" for more information.

Regards

Sanyam Talwar