10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 6:25 AM by Dani_Wolf_Emerge

Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign

Dani_Wolf_Emerge

Under the Paragraph Style > Basic Character Formats, I want to clear out the Font Family, Font Style and/or Size where they are currently specifically defined. Control-delete or delete won't stick. Reset Panel is not available. Backspace doesn't work.

Is it possible to make the Font Family set to none or blank?

para-style indesign.png

I am aware that it's available in Illustrator, but that's a separate program and engine.

para-style illustrator.png

• 1. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why do you want an empty paragraph style? Why would that be useful and how would you use it?

A paragraph can only have one style. If you apply a different one, it changes to the new style. What would a style of None mean?

And Illustrator is not what to use an example of using styles. Compared to InDesign, its styling options are very primitive.

• 2. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
            Dani_Wolf_Emerge Level 1

Mostly used for tagging and XML exports. If I had one "blank" Paragraph style with no font family defined, I could capture everything I need.

• 3. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
              Dani_Wolf_Emerge Level 1

Also, you're right that Illustrator is not as robust at text styling. I'm merely comparing the fact that this is what I would like the screen to look like in InDesign. Empty fields.

• 4. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I don't see no advantage in an empty Paragraph Style.

In InDesign it is not possible, only Character Styles are empty by default and only characteristics which will make the difference to the applied paragraph style will fill the blanks.

InDesign has a complete different font engine as Illustrator and Photoshop have together.

• 5. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know what you are up to, but the only kind of style you can apply to text with no font information defined is a character style. Would it work for you to leave the text set as [No Paragraph Style] and tag for output with a character style?

• 6. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
                    winterm Level 4

Actually, in Illustrator that's not possible, too.

InDesign is just more fair with you in this case.

Do a little test: create in Illy PStyle with 'undefined' font (as in your shot) and try to apply it to text of different typefaces.

If you don't leave overrides, you always end up with the same typeface. In my case it is Myriad Pro Regular, 12 pt.

Hey, but font is still 'not defined' in style description!

So yes, font info is essential to PStyle. Some apps show it to you, some not.

Anyway, you should rethink your workflow...

• 7. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
                      Dani_Wolf_Emerge Level 1

Joel - Appreciated. I'm using a workflow that will allow me to export all text as clean XML with tagged metadata. Text from the InDesign file can be pushed to other XML readers, archival, and to web (cool!) It works great, but there's a dependency that I must have a specifically named paragraph style assigned to all text in order to export XML. Text set to [no paragraph style] is ignored. Text styled only with a character style does not get picked up unless there's a specific paragraph style attached. Imagine having a 200+ book and needing every single text box to be paragraph styled "body". I can manually paragraph style all of the text to the one paragraph style name I need, but it would be faster if I had one paragraph style that I could apply to every text box in a 200+ page book. This would save me time. Figured, I'd give it a shot on the forums.

Long story short, I've tried character styles, but I have a very specific, very technical need for paragraph style font families to be left blank.

Winterm - I stand corrected that Illustrator cannot have an undefined font family paragraph style. I still have the need for "blank" font families in InDesign.

• 8. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
                        winterm Level 4

It's a dead end, I'm afraid...

You'll need to 'invent' some totally different approach...

• 9. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
                          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can manually paragraph style all of the text to the one paragraph style name I need, but it would be faster if I had one paragraph style that I could apply to every text box in a 200+ page book. This would save me time. Figured, I'd give it a shot on the forums.

Well, it's not something ID can do. In your shoes, I might save, apply the single paragraph style with a script knowing it would ruin the appearance of the text, perform the XML export, then close without saving.

Alternately, I could use a script to programmatically apply character styles with all of the necessary font information (there are a few of these floating around), then apply my One Parastyle with spurious font information - the font in it would not apply to the text because every single glyph would have a character style applied.

These are just workarounds that I am tossing out because your workflow is not going to work with ID. Seems to me that your content tagging has to happen somewhere else - before the content gets to ID, or in a tool more suited to such tagging after export. Or you could use parastyles as normal in ID, then map many parastyles to one XML tag within ID. It's easy enough to "map styles to tags."

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother asking for a feature request, in your shoes. It runs counter to the way styles have worked in ID since forever.

• 10. Re: Paragraph Style Font Family to None (Blank) in InDesign
                            Dani_Wolf_Emerge Level 1

Joel - Thanks for the workarounds. I'm already using something very close to that as a solution.

I was searching the web and never found the definitive answer that InDesign has never, cannot, and will never allow undefined Paragraph Styles. It was slim odds, but it was worth a shot.