6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 5:39 AM by Ride595

InDesign CC caches corrupted

sharpart Level 1

I've been having odd intermittent behavior in ID CC2015, including some or all of these:

• "Select All Unused" in the Swatches palette doesn't work

• Icons at the bottom of the Swatches palette are missing (Color Group, Duplicate, Trash)

• Expand Panels arrow button (at top of panels) won't function, and/or the individual palettes won't expand

• Pages palette doesn't display Master Pages properly (too far to the right, so the icons are mostly invisible)

The first time, I was told to trash my Preferences (the usual scenario), but it failed to fix the problem. Then, I was told to delete and re-install the program and all associated files, which did work just fine -- but was a huge hassle and time sink.

When it happened again, I found my caches (Users/username/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 11.0) and deleted just the caches (NOT my Preferences): Everything fixed! I have had to do this repeatedly, and it works to fix the problem.

So the problem is NOT my preferences, and it's NOT particular ID documents (when the problems occur, all documents are affected, even old CS6 docs): it's just the caches.

However, the REAL issue is: why are my ID caches getting corrupted over and over? Is anyone else experiencing this or a similar problem?

(For the record: I'm running El Capitan 10.11.3 on an iMac 27" 5K Retina display with a Wacom tablet [driver version 6.3.15-2]. No third-party ID plug-ins. The only Login Items are Carbon Copy Cloner "CCC User" app [version 4.1.7], and FontExplorer [version 5.0.2]. Otherwise, I'm running a squeaky-clean System.)

• 1. Re: InDesign CC caches corrupted
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Short term solution: Font Nuke:

jamapi.com :: FontNuke - A FREE tool for removing font cache files on Mac OS X

But there is probably corruption or conflicts in your current user. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups. Create a new user and try running from the new user to see if the problem goes away. You may have to use the new user.

• 2. Re: InDesign CC caches corrupted
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The cache file you are removing is one half of the InDesign Preference set (it contains the InDesign SavedData file, among other things). Constant corruption makes me think you have a conflict with some other software, either a non-adobe plugin (including a font manager) in ID, or possibly a Chrome plugin (lots of those cause problems in ID) or some security program.

• 3. Re: InDesign CC caches corrupted
              sharpart Level 1

Thanks Peter, but I have no non-Adobe plug-ins, and I'm using Safari (not Chrome). I am, however, using Linotype FontExplorer Pro 5 (the latest update). It does seem like there's a conflict -- and I am thinking about FontExplorer or the Wacom tablet driver (Wacom has been known for years to be a bug-fest!) -- but in truth I can't do my work (I'm a graphic designer) without these two tools.

What's also interesting is that any corruption in my ID caches seems always to occur when I quit ID. If I boot ID and notice weird behavior, I can delete my caches, re-boot ID, and all is well. ID never develops strange behavior in the middle of use (which can be quite long -- like all day, opening and closing files, activating and de-activating font sets, over and over) -- it's only after I quit and then re-boot the program.

• 4. Re: InDesign CC caches corrupted
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Wacom drivers are known to cause problems -- try a different version. And I suspect Font Explorer probably installs an auto-activation plugin -- try removing it.

• 5. Re: InDesign CC caches corrupted
                  sharpart Level 1

I currently have the latest version of the Wacom driver -- however, Wacom drivers are not "trusted input sources," so that may be some of the problem. (There's a known issue with Wacom drivers and Keychain access, for example.)

Also, I don't do any auto font activation (I tell Font Explorer not to install them!), so there's no plugin there to cause conflicts.

It's a mystery, and I see no possible solution, but it's VERY frustrating to try to get my work done and have to trash my ID caches so frequently.

Anyone else having this problem, or am I the only lucky one?

• 6. Re: InDesign CC caches corrupted
                    Ride595

I have similar problems and have done for some time. Most prevalent is a corrupt Buttons and Forms palette, which doesn't allow you to click on the bin and delete states (can drag to bin) and does not stay confined, choosing to get wider and wider with long URLs pasted into the links window.

I have also experienced the icons at the bottom of panels disappearing. Have done many preference trashes, total app reinstalls all to no avail. Sometimes a minor fix, sometimes nothing changes.

Frustrated.