5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 8:52 AM by travisr-aiphone

InDesign file will not export to PDF (CC 2015)

<3 <3

Hello, I am working in Creative Cloud 2015/InDesign. I have a 3 page document that I am trying to export to PDF. It keeps failing, saying "1 problem was found in the background task". When I look at my background task, it just states "Failed to export the pdf file". I restarted my computer, tried to package, try to create PDF from print window, renamed file. Nothing is working. It will not export to anything...Jpeg, PNG...nothing. Even opened in later versions. Please help!

• 2. Re: InDesign file will not export to PDF (CC 2015)
          <3 <3 Level 1

Hello, I created a new file (new name), import the 3 pages, saved....still will not create PDF, will not allow me to package or export in any form. Created a new file, copy/paste items. saved under a different name...ditto. The file is 1280 x 2200 px, 3 pages, has a compound object on all 3 pages (the same compound object), and transparencies (not a lot). It's not that big.  My iMac is a 2010, running on El Capitan (10.11.2), 2.8GHz/Intel core i5, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB. Any thoughts? I never had this problem before.

• 3. Re: InDesign file will not export to PDF (CC 2015)
            <3 <3 Level 1

Hello, I created a new file (new name), import the 3 pages, saved....still will not create PDF, will not allow me to package or export in any form. Created a new file, copy/paste items. saved under a different name...ditto. The file is 1280 x 2200 px, 3 pages, has a compound object on all 3 pages (the same compound object), and transparencies (not a lot). It's not that big.  My iMac is a 2010, running on El Capitan (10.11.2), 2.8GHz/Intel core i5, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB. Any thoughts? I never had this problem before.

• 4. Re: InDesign file will not export to PDF (CC 2015)
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

&amp;lt;3 &amp;lt;3 wrote:

… I have a 3 page document that I am trying to export to PDF. It keeps failing, saying "1 problem was found in the background task". When I look at my background task, it just states "Failed to export the pdf file".

Did you solve your problem in the meanwhile?
              If not, you could try a PDF Export with a script—ExportPDF_in_Foreground.jsx—I wrote a couple of years ago, that does not rely on the background task mechanisms of InDesign.

See here:

Re: InDesign CS6 crashes during PDF export

If that will not work, export your document to IDML, open the IDML file in InDesign, save to a new name—do not overwrite the old one—and try packaging from there. If all does not work, un-install InDesign, sign-out from CC app, reboot, sign-in to CC app, download and install InDesign and try again.

Uwe

• 5. Re: InDesign file will not export to PDF (CC 2015)
                travisr-aiphone

My company from time to time will come across the dreaded "Failed to Export the PDF file" error message. It at first appeared to occur intermittently and not necessarily for all designers. We were able to track down the issue to .psd files and the cool "Object Layer Options" feature in InDesign. When a multi-layer .psd file is placed into InDesign with the "Show Import Options" checked, then .psd layers can be marked as hidden or revealed within InDesign. It's a great feature and our company has been taking advantage of it for the past year or so.

From time to time, if a .psd file had many, many layers and the "Object Layer Options" was being used in the InDesign document, when it came time to export a .pdf, the file would fail. However, if we could determine which .psd file was causing the issue, we could "fix" the problem and export our .pdfs. The problem would usually occur after we closed down InDesign and opened the .indd file that worked earlier, but all of a sudden failed to export.  That is part of what drove us crazy. The file could operate all day long, as we were making changes in layers all day long. Then we would shut down InDesign, come in the next day, make a little text change, and then the whole thing would fail to export.

It seems when we closed down our InDesign files that had placed .psd files with many layers and then re-opened the InDesign files later, InDesign would need a "layer refreshing". So, we would select the .psd file (usually figuring out which .psd file needs help is pretty easy for us since we don't have that many placed .psd files with 20+ layers in them), go to "Object" ->"Object Layer Options" and turn any layer on or off, close the "Object Layer Options" window,  then hit "Ctrl Z" to undo this unwanted layer change. The .psd file was "layer refreshed" and the InDesign file exported properly. Now, if we closed InDesign and relaunched the file, try to export, it would fail again, so, "layer refresh" time!

So, we had 2 fixes, both reliant on knowing which .psd file was causing the problem.

Solution 1 - a.k.a. "layer refresher solution": Go to "Object" ->"Object Layer Options" and turn a layer on or off, close the "Object Layer Options" window, then hit "Ctrl Z" to undo the layer change, then export. 

Solution 2: Create a specialty .psd, flattened as much as possible, or create a .jpg and replace the multi-layer .psd file with either.

Background.png

the lotsa layers, problem child, .psd file....

options.png