4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2016 5:06 AM by piersh7249467

Lightroom Issues?

piersh7249467

Hi all, would appreciate any input. My Lightroom appears to be collapsing! Just got back from a big photo shoot and downloaded some 3000 images from around 6 SD cards. Issues are:

• Noticeable lag in loading time in Library mode.
      • Some photos unable to render in Library mode. (Loading… wheel of death! Followed by: "There was an error working with this photo").
      • Long time rendering in develop mode for a number of photos.
      • Inability to develop some photos in develop mode
      • Slow to send to photoshop and then an issue with saving back from photoshop. (Photoshop extremely slow to save).
      • Inability to publish to Flikr - "can't update this collection….document is empty"

Set up:

Photos on external hard drive: LaCie (1TB free)

Mac OSX 10.7.5. (2011 model)

Lightroom 5 (licence version 2014). some 24,000 photos.

Photoshop CC 2014. (Both have been compatible up till now, although I mainly have used Lightroom).

Actions Taken:

• Updated software for Mac and Lightroom.

Thoughts, areas to investigate welcome

cheers PH

• 1. Re: Lightroom Issues?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Check available free space on the Macintosh HD.

Check health of both external and internal drives.

Use a different external drive, a New one formatted for Mac (Mac OS Extended (Journaled) ), and create a test catalog and import X number of images to it.

Check what else is running on your Mac.

The spinning color wheel means one of 2 things.

1) The system is to busy to process what you've asked it to do. To many processes running for the amount of RAM installed and overall speed of the system.

2) The system can't access the data on the drive fast enough. Problems with the drive.

I would start by getting a new external drive and copying all your images to it, ASAP. I personally have no faith in LaCie external hard drives.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Issues?
            piersh7249467 Level 1

Shootistbond007.

Many thanks for the reply.

Will look at the issues. Mac has about 150GB avail, so shouldn't be that.

Areas I was looking at was updating to El Capitain to enable Lightroom CC and converting to Lightroom CC from Lightroom 5.

Ack that re LaCie - doing a save to another hardrive tonight!

thanks for your reply, appreciated.

PH

• 3. Re: Lightroom Issues?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You don't need El Capitan to use the newest release of LR CC 2015. What you do need is Mavericks or Yosemite. At least Mavericks 10.9.x. If you go to only Mt Lion, 10.8.x then the only version of CC 2015 that will run is 6.1. With Mavericks, 10.9.x, and Yosemite, 10.10.x all current versions of CC 2015 work.

Both of those slightly older versions of OS X should still be available on the Mac App Store. But you might have to search for them. Apple is great for pushing the newest version of OS X.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Issues?
                piersh7249467 Level 1

Shootistbond007.

Great update, thanks. Must admit to being slightly baffled as to which OS system to upgrade to, and have seen horror stories on these boards, so have balked at taking the leap. Very useful advice. Thank you. Cheers PH